“beautiful and private”

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“beautiful and private”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Except for the parking lot man, the Beach was perfect. he was a jerk that sent us away in teeming rain

Visited August 2013
2 Thank pncboy85

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
San Luis Obispo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Wildlife Viewing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The most biodiverse place on earth. The list of what we saw is endless. Make sure and get a knowledgable guide.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank DrGermond
Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing jungle experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I returned to Costa Rica in March to check out the Osa Peninsula. You have to have a guide to explore the Corcovado National Park. I did a lot of online research and ended up choosing Surcos Tous. We requested Nito as our guide based on multiple excellent reviews.

His sister Ute was extremely prompt, helpful, and professional with answering our questions and preparing us for the adventure (hiking in from our lodge to La Leona ranger station then on to the Sirena Ranger station.) I only wish that we had clarified earlier in our communications that we knew that we were going to stay in a tent, rather than the dormitories. She was conscientious and booked the dormitory, since it has to be done in advance. But it costs more for the dorm and we did not use our dorm since we had planned to tent camp. No worries, better safe than sorry! I should have been more clear in our communications!

Nito is extremely professional, knowledgeable, optimistic, and kind. He was also very proactive in taking pictures and video for us so that we could be present with what we were seeing firsthand. We are so appreciative of this, because we continue to enjoy these mementos of our wonderful trip! Plus my husband and I really enjoyed his company, in addition to his soft spoken nature, respect for the environment and animals, and funny stories!

We were extremely lucky to see a momma puma and her two young spotted cubs on our way in, and then a very close up puma on our hike out. We also saw wild pigs, poison dart frogs, tapirs, anteaters, coatis, a huge assortment of birds, insects, and wildlife. The hike in and out was long and hot, but definitely worth it to see the variety of animals that we saw! I would recommend staying the 2 nights at the park to get the full experience.

I definitely recommend this tour company to explore Corcovado based on their professionalism and organization. We were very lucky to have Nito as a guide, but I would book him in advance. He is sought after due to his awesome guide services!

Visited March 2014
4 Thank LInaLam
Palo Alto, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“The best rainforest wildlife experience in the world... hands down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I would like to offer a unique perspective here.

First, the Osa Peninsula is fabulously beautiful. Having dense, steamy rainforest abutting the wild Pacific ocean creates a spectacular scene. You cannot beat the setting. There are almost no people there, which also adds to the serenity. Most national parks have some cars and lots of tours running through. You can walk a whole day in Corcovado without seeing a soul and there are no roads in the park. You will definitely see more monkeys that people in the park itself.

Second, and for my unique perspective, the wildlife viewing in Corcovado is second to none when it comes to rainforest wildlife. I have traveled to Peru, Brazil, Bolivia, Guatemala, Belize, and Ecuador. The rainforest in all of those places does not compare to Corcovado. The trees are the key to the experience. Corcovado was farmland up until the 1970s when the Costa Rican government reclaimed the area. There was enough vegetation for the forest to recover. As a result, most of the trees are new growth and short. By short I mean 20-40 feet and not 100-200 feet like in the Amazon. This is amazing for animal viewing because rainforest animals live in the trees. If you ever go looking for animals in the Amazon everything is going to be at the top of a 100 foot tree and looks like a dark dot mixed in with some leaves. In the Osa the animals are literally out in the open. Monkeys will be so close you could throw a stick at them. This is AWESOME for photography. Similarly, you can find insects, reptiles, and amphibians galore! I cannot emphasize enough how unique the wildlife opportunities are.

I spent a night in the Corcovado reserve, which I highly recommend to EVERYBODY. You will see spectacular wildlife near the ranger station. There is a tapir that lives in the area and frequents the landing strip. Nowhere in the world will you find such access to a tapir that is not captive. Definitely make sure you do a night walk as well. You will see caymans and other nightlife emerge from hiding.

Also, strangely enough the food at the ranger station was quite good when I was there. The meal is only a matter of dollars and will absolutely fill you up. The bunks are basic so make sure you bring a sleeping sleeve. You can also fill your water bottles at the ranger station, which is quite a luxury for rustic experiences like Corcovado. You really only need to bring clothes and rain gear. If you contact them ahead of time your water and food will be taken care of for minimal cost.

Word to the wise, heed the tide warnings. There are two paths along the coast at Corcovado that get flooded at high tide. There is also a river that you have to cross that gets brisk during high tide as well as filled with bull sharks. They are not a myth. I do a lot of shark diving and saw one when we were canoeing. I can confirm, it was a bull shark. Do not let this dissuade you though. The ranger stations post the tides. If you cross anywhere near low tide or mid-tide the water is only 1-2 feet deep and very passable. Another word to the wise, take a stick with you while crossing the river. They have sting rays in the rivers. To prevent yourself from stepping on one just poke the sand in front of you before you step. If there is a sting ray it will shoot off.

DO NOT MISS CORCOVADO!!!

Visited April 2014
15 Thank CGO83
San Francisco, California
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Nature In Its Primitive Form!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Corcovado National Park is huge and taking a day trip to Sirena Ranger Station is really just scratching the surface of an amazing place. And being able to spot animals and birds is more about luck than anything.

Took a day trip and we saw birds with their babies, monkeys, insects and animals such as a tapir and sloths. They were just walking around here and there. And definitely overnight stay would make it even more enjoyable.

If you love to travel to nature in its primitive form, Drake Bay and Corcovado National Park are definitely a must.

Visited May 2014