“A little bit of heaven on earth”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This lodge is worth the effort of getting there!
Organic meals served 3 times a day and Costa Rican coffee available all day long.
Accommodations are excellent and the location is heavenly.
Spa day a must and also a walking trip into the jungle.
The staff is fabulous!
I've been here twice and will return.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lajollabarbie

Reviewed 16 May 2011

The Luna Lodge in Carete, Osa Peninsula offered my wife and I the ultimate experience to Listen and SEE all a Jungle has to offer. This was the first adventure for my wife to an Adventure Lodge. Naturally, I was not sure how she would like the experience. Well, She cannot stop talking about the Cleanliness, the Lush Gardens, the 5 star food served and the attention the staff and Owner gives you. She is now ready to take on the World of Adventure Travel. The lodge is nestled on the edge of the mountain, right at tree top level, with views of the ocean, Toucans, Monkeys and birds too numerous to count. So, if this is your first adventure to a REAL Adventure Lodge. You can rest assured you will be pleased. From Alex and Nina King

Room Tip: Go with the bungalows
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank life77good
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I stayed at Luna for six days in mid-March as a 40th birthday present for myself. It was fantastic, and when I can save up enough money, I'll go again. Next time I might stay at Luna for a couple nights and then hike out to the Sirena ranger station in Corcovado park. You can stay at the station as well. Apparently it's very nice, and there was a puma or some large cat around. Then I'd hike back to Luna and stay there again.

At Luna, I stayed in a tent. Had its own private bathroom and jaw-dropping views. No bugs either, as the tents zip up completely. Slept with the mesh panels opened, slept to the sound of frogs and insects, awoke to the sound of howler monkeys and hundreds of species of birds singing. Bring ear plugs just in case a nearby bull frog decides to get very loud in the middle of the night.

Waking up at 5 a.m .with nature was no problem, as I was so tired from hiking around all day, surfing, horseback riding, gold panning and other activities that I fell asleep by 10 p.m. every night.

Food was fresh and dinner was different every night. Staff was wonderfully welcoming, accommodating and trustworthy. Made friends with the guide Oscar and gave him my bird whistle. Came back to my tent one day and my towel was folded in the shape of a heart with some fern leaves over it. Adorable.

Three waterfalls nearby on the property. Osa the dog will escort you or even show up in the middle of your hike with her tail wagging. Saw an incredible array of birds -- turquouise headed motmot, toucans, scarlet maccaws, various hummingbirds, tanagers, an orange-billed sparrow, and too many others to name them all. Once you know the area, you can hike the trails by yourself. They're very steep in places. Bring good hiking shoes.

There were several other wonderful guests who kept me occupied. When they weren't around, I couldn't get enough of Willie, the mother of Lana, the owner. When Lana went off to an environmental conference for several days, Willie and Edwin ran the lodge to perfection.

Massages from Rosie were sheer perfection. Her father was a shaman, and she has the healing touch, a quiet spirit and strong hands. She massaged a kink out of my lower back USING HER FEET! Amed is her nephew, and he's reputed to be fantastic as well. He was on vacation when I was there.

I took the collectivo taxi out to the lodge from Puerto Jimenez. It was fine for me -- a pretty grand adventure actually. But speaking Spanish is a definite plus for that trip.

Puerto Jimenez was a shady place where I wouldn't otherwise want to be again. I also wanted to like San Jose, but it was too dirty and run-down and overpriced. Costa Rica has been experiencing some problems lately that may ultimately make it less attractive to tourists, and the government has apparently not done enough to work things out. It fell in the rankings this year as a tourist destination. But Luna was worth it. Spend some time on the yoga platform just staring at the view. It's soul cleansing, even if you don't do a lick of yoga while you're up there.

I know these comments are pretty generic, but they're true. I came back to NYC with a clear head and a refreshed spirit. I miss Luna already. I'll try and post some photos when I get a chance.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Hilary444
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Just got back from our one week Osa trip.
What an unique and amazing place on this planet.
We stayed one week, splitting our stay between Bosque Del Cabo and Luna Lodge - both incredible places.
Our Luna Lodge stay was a happy accident after we declined our stay at Lapa Rios.
Lapa Rios cabanas were all semi-attached (something their website failed to point out!). Privacy was something we were longing for on this trip, not an apartment style room, 400meters from the main lodge, attached to someone we cared not to know. LR dealt with our disappointment in a very professional way though, which we greatly appreciated.
So! We spontaneously book Luna Lodge - that had a few available cabanas and "tent" style places for us.
After a long and bumpy ride up a narrow road after dark, we arrived and were immediately greeted with a beautiful smile from Lana the owner, and fresh glass a water.
The grounds were so thoughtfully designed with tropical flowers, trees and plants generously framing each area of the lodge. The pool was gorgeous, the cabanas were adorable with fantastic bathrooms, and the look out platform/yoga space is nothing short of inspiring. At night we would lay out there and listen to all the jungle sounds and look up at the sparkling night sky. Heaven.
We actually preferred staying in the "tent" and optioned this for the remainder of our stay. It's not really a tent - it's a yurt and a delux yurt at that, with plenty of standing room, a nice bathroom and a partially screened in view that offered a 180 of the jungle. We especially liked the privacy (it's up very far, but the stairs and gardens make it a nice journey) and the cool little deck where we would sip our Maitai's and admire breathtaking view. Even the ocean could be seen.
(Bosque also had an incredible ocean view, btw. There are so many great things about BDC actully, but so much has been written and reviewed about them already that I'll focus on Luna Lodge)
Lana (the owner) has a gracious and warm way about her and when you think that she created the Luna Lodge on her own, it's nothing short of impressive.
The best part of Luna for us was Carate Beach where we enjoyed Boogie Boarding and swimming at low tide - So.Much.Fun. I could have done that everyday, but the hikes were good too. Corcovado was was a flat hike following the shoreline (I would have preferred something in the primary forest of the park instead though). And their primary forest hike near the lodge was good, but too demanding.
We saw TONS of animals on this trip (at both places) including all 4 kinds of monkeys, an anteater (that actually eats termites not ants) spotted dolphins, toucans, boas... - really so so much. Some guests (at Bosque) even saw the elusive puma.
Osa is a very very special place that needs our protection. The cats (pumas, panthers, ocelots, tigrillos, marjays, jaguars and jaguarundis) are especially endangered (poachers trying to make a living kill so many, and shrinking roaming areas cause interbreeding which equals extinction). We watched an great talk about it at Bosque that informed us so much about what was happening and what this small team of 3 was doing about it. Yaguara.org --- Amazing work. Some people break my heart with their devotion to noble causes.
Luna Lodge also has a fantastic project called "White Hawk" that is trying to connect and protect key migration and jungle areas throughout the Osa. Also so inspiring.
These Eco Lodges are really doing their job. Another great reason to stay with them.
They gave us such an incredible vacation and an experience of a lifetime that we will never forget.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank behrstar
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We loved our stay at Luna Lodge. It is a bit of a hike to get here, about 18 miles over big pot holes, rocks, steep inclines/declines, fording streams and river beds and, with fingers crossed, passing over some questionable "bridges." The drive to get here was an amazing adventure all by itself, and so scenic. We rented a 4x4 (get one with a LOW 4x4 gear availability!) , but most others take a taxi. The drive took us just over an hour from Puerto Jiminez. There is also an airstrip available in Carate, but is only available by charter, which isn't cost prohibitive in Costa Rica. Much faster, but you'll miss all the scenery and the rough roller coaster type ride. Next time we'd likely fly in because once you arrive, you probably won't be using your car again until you leave. But if you do drive, be sure to use a GPS. Worth it's weight in gold.

The resort itself is very nice. The rooms are spacious, beds and pillows comfy and the outdoor shower is nice. We were there in mid-summer and there is no A/C, but by morning we were cool. The room has screens, but the thatched roof overhang is open all the way around (the room is circular), so if a bug was determined to get in it could very easily, however we didn't have even one incident of any pest whatsoever. There is mosquito netting around the bed, but we opted not to close it and impede any of the natural ventilation. We were very conscience regarding turning on a light at night, since it does attract bugs, and were grateful that our neighbors didn't seem to care as much. (Bugs must have gone that a-way lol) The rooms have a porch with a couple of rockers. We were in Room 5, which had an ok view (similar to room 4's) because of the parking lot, but as we walked around most all of the other rooms seemed to have killer views of the rain forest.

There are no street lights, or lights in general between the rooms, so if you bring your own flashlight you'll be glad that you did. It gets dark, very dark. The stars are all out, which was beautiful to see, but it is still dark and it would be dangerous to try to walk without one after dinner when you head back to your room.

The food was very good, although the selection is very limited. While we were there, for breakfast there was fruit, and eggs, lunch was also a single item, and dinner was buffet styled, where you'll certainly find something to your liking. Water and coffee are complimentary, but that's it. We found that a little disappointing.....lemonade, ice tea, flavored water.....anything like that would have been much appreciated.

There are a few trails there that are fun to hike. One leads to 2 waterfalls, and another leads to a different waterfall, which we found to be beautiful. The "guard" dog (Osa) escorted and showed us the way. I don't usually like for dogs to be hanging around, it's ok, I just don't enjoy it, but Osa is the exception. She actually stayed behind and literally guarded my backpack when I placed it down to continue farther up the trail without it. She is truly an exceptional dog and I'd even include her as one of the highlights of our visit.

Plan on waking up early, when the monkeys wake up. We thoroughly enjoyed waking up to the sounds of the rain forest waking up every morning. So nice.

One of the rules there involved tossing toilet paper into the trash bin located near the toilet. Not sure of the reason why, but it just didn't seem very sanitary. How do you treat that stuff? Hazardous material? Medical waste? Not sure but it seemed pretty unsanitary, however, oddly enough, you do get used to it. Any septic system that I have ever dealt with can function just fine with toilet paper flushed into it. Not a big thing, just something that you may want to know.

We met Willie (Lana's mom) upon arrival. It was a joy meeting and chatting with her. We also met Lana during our stay. If you want to hear a very interesting story regarding the building of the Lodge, just ask Willie. She'll only tell you about it if you ask. As she is telling you about it, you'll find yourself in disbelief. Easily material for a book. And don't ask for the cliff notes version, she can give a more detailed accounting with more background info if you ask.

We also hiked a trail that passes through some of the primary forest, which was nice. We spotted a monkey and some toucans and heard macaws passing overhead. Take your time, get a nice walking stick and enjoy the walk.

The yoga platform has an excellent view. I recommend visiting here in the first place, but if you are a yoga person, then you have no choice but to visit here. It has been written up in almost any magazine that writes about yoga. I'm not a yoga person, but enjoyed the view.

If you are looking for a peaceful, luxurious retreat from it all in the absolute most remote location built within the rain forest then, like us, you'll love it here.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kindredspirits
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Luna Lodge might very well be heaven. I experienced the sound of howler monkeys at night playing in the trees just outside my bungalow, a massage so spiritual I felt almost out of body and a morning yoga class so soothing I'm certain my tree pose will never be the same. Luna Lodge on the Osa Peninsula may by far be one of the best places I have ever visited. I am already trying to plan a return!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank witw
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Incredible staff, grounds, rainforest, animals and amenities! This place has it all.
It's quite a trek to get here, but so incredibly worth it. The bungalows and main gathering area are amazing. The food is wonderful and the guests this place attracts are interesting, interactive and grounded. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!