“Jungle Resort Extraordinaire”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Arlington, Virginia
“Jungle Resort Extraordinaire”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We were lucky to travel to Luna Lodge at the same time as "60PercentTravel" and his family and second his accolades for this incredible experience. Our kids (aged 9 and 10) flourished in the freedom that the lodge environment offered -- no room keys; come and go in total comfort and security because of the wonderful and welcoming staff and the gorgeous place. Having other families with children there was a total plus and made the very long hikes great fun. After the long hike down the beach to Corcovado National Park (7 miles round trip), the kids enjoyed playing in the water (no sharks or crocs there that day!) and were building little coconut shell boats for the thousands of hermit crabs to take across the river. They were enjoying nature while we hunted for hawks and other wildlife in the vicinity. We also took the small plane into the park - Sirena, the ranger station - and wholly recommend it. Alvaro the pilot is like a cross between Indiana Jones and Porco Rosso (Miyazaki character) and Gary was a patient, knowledgeable and keen guide. We did not take advantage of the yoga or the massages but I heard they were phenomenal! We did find our own treasure trove of parrots each early evening around 5 in a tree near the yoga deck. There are a few great hikes right from the lodge including a waterfall hike guided by Osa, the amazing "responsible" and smart dog who my daughter fell in love with! Osa tolerated well all the tight hugs and close attention even though you could tell they made her a little uneasy! The bungalows are so well designed that I found myself thinking about the process that Lana must have gone through to design this resort. Having no key (there is a safe available in the main lodge) was incredibly freeing and absolutely no reception for anything electronic was beyond wonderful. The pool was refreshing and set well near views and beautiful birds (hummingbirds too were everywhere!). It took about a day to get our right lenses on to be able to see and hear all the wildlife right around us. The lodge is set about 1/2 mile up in mountain and up a river (and a very fun AWD ride through river and tent camps of the gold miners!) from the beach which is not swimmable due to current, rocks, riptides. We very much enjoyed the people who are also attracted to such an outoftheway place (only about 40 guests maximum) and learned about avocado farming in Mexico City from an Australian! Lana and her staff tried hard to make New Year's Eve very fun and the pinata and attention to the kids was much appreciated. I'm not sure when the last time I've seen adults play musical chairs but great fun and laughter was had by all! Our daughter turned 9 while were there and Lana had a special cake made and everyone sang to her as she blew out the candles. Not enough can be said about Lana and her wish for the preservation of the rainforest and her role in exposing the world to this incredible place. Lana, her mom Willie, Gary and all of the staff went far out of their way to ensure that we were comfortable and having a wonderful experience -- everything from meals to excursions. Each time you arrive back to "campus" from an excursion, you would be met by Lana or another friendly face with refreshing cold drinks and an inquiry about the experience. We have been to Costa Rica several times before but this was our visit to the Osa and we can't recommend Luna Lodge more highly for a beautiful and meaningful get away.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Kim H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Traveling with a 12 and 9 year old can sometimes require finding a place so magical that the kids are transfixed with wonder. Luna Lodge is that place. About 20 minutes before the sun rises, the Howler Monkeys begin their morning call. That's the time to sneak down the the pool, when the sun breaks, the tree just past the pool is a favorite spot for a pair of Toucan to begin their day. By the time you have finished your coffee (available by 6AM) it is likely you will have spotted 10-20 different species of tropical birds - without leaving the pool deck chair. As the scarlet macaws complete their morning passes, head up the stairs to the breathtaking yoga deck - your view will extend from the valley out across the Pacific...and it's only 7AM !!
Our kids trekked along the beach, across the mountains, through the rain forest - with joy - amazing animals, insects, reptiles, flowers, birds around every corner. At home a 1 mile walk stretches the limits of their hiking interest. With another couple (2 kids -9 &11) our guide took us up the beach into the park - 7 miles and 8 hours later - we were back for dinner. After a day of playing in the lagoon, watching baby spider monkeys eat bananas, our oldest couldn't wait to go on the Night Hike after dinner !!
One of the most special day trips was the quick flight to the Ranger Station with Gary (guide) by plane (Lana kindly made the arrangements). This allowed us to be in the heart of the rain forest for a day, watching a tapir sleep, a herd of peccaries grazing, the basilisk lizards running across a creek, fantastic butterflies, giant iguanas basking in the sun, blue morphos flittering around our heads. My favorite moment was standing along the Sirena river mouth (about 20KM from Luna Lodge) 6-10 foot crocodiles were slowly cruising by - as waves broke in the ocean and rolled up the river - the fins of sharks were easily visible. With a quick splash one of the shark struck on a river fish -right in front of us. Amazing. Oscar (Guide) took us fishing and we asked for a quick casting lesson. Oscar took the pole, demonstrated the proper grip - with a quick flick - the lure was in the surf - followed with an immediate strike and an 18 inch snook for dinner.
At the end of 5 days, our son's only request was that he be allowed to stay a live a Luna Lodge, our daughter wanted us to promise to return again "next year". For my wife and I the fantastic Spa, great social environment, delicious fresh food, excellent accommodations made the entire experience wonderful.
Lana, Willy, Oscar, Javier, Keller, Gary, Carmen, Xian - what a wonderfully pleasant staff !! Knowledgeable, helpful, sociable - and a couple of very serious pinata strikers !! The New Years party was a blast - I think Lana has been practicing her pinata swing. Our fellow guests were from all over the globe with a broad range of interests - meals were a combination of delightful service, delicious food, and enjoyable conversations.
Yes we would go again - if traveling for the first time suggest bringing - water shoes, extra socks, fast drying clothes, flashlight, comfortable yoga clothes. Great for romance, bird watching, trekking, soul expansion, and revitalizing life spirit.
We brought our twittering, facebook, xbox kids and left watching them do their tree pose as the sun set over the mountain. Priceless !!

Room Tip: Both the Hacienda and Tents are completely enclosed - the Bungalows have a fantastic design - intent...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank 60PercentTravel
california
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Ny niece and I stayed at Luna Lodge after just on a whim deciding on the Osa Peninsula. At the end of the road, well, up the hill, AFTER the end of the road, is this oasis. But do not be fooled by the beauty of what Lana, the owner, has created. You are still in the rainforest, and will experience such beauty and wonder, and will come to know your own insignificance in the world, even after a few days. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

So, you are always wet, and the best way to dry your clothes is to wear them! Bring lots of socks, and an extra pair of shoes. I ended up leaving mine there, as they would not dry, and packed with mud. Be prepared for early morning hikes, wonderful massages-really, we had one every day-and realizing that everything around you was there before you! The bungalows are partially open, so be prepared to check you shoes and the toilet and sheets before you crawl in. On the other hand, showering in the open garden(private), swimming in the pool-lovely, sinking into the hammock-and seeig something new and different at any given moment is an experience not to be missed. This is not a place for those that have a physical disability, unless you just want to relax and enjoy the decks. You must always hike up to your room, and thereare steps. Flashlights are a must-I slept with mine-anduse bug spray. I came home with Scabies-I am sure it was from all the river hikes-but they were quickly cured after a trip to the doc and an overnight cream.

I would recommend Lluna Lodge for the beauty, the experience, the committment that Lana, the owner, has made to our earth. I learned alot, relaxed alot, and yet was busy every moment. Hiking the Corcovado, kayaking the the lagoon with crocs, beautiful birds, and meeting lovely Tico's, was just a dream. I also believe i was there with the previous reviewer.

Enjoy

Room Tip: no spa, but a beautiful beyond words deck overlooking the canopy to have the best massages by Rosie...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gibdar
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I really loved this beautiful and remote eco-lodge. The talented people who work here treat the place as a labor of love, and it is inspiring to be around people who put their hearts into what they do every day and care deeply about the rainforest that surrounds the lodge. I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan, so I enjoy getting away to places where my blackberry won't work (there is an internet connection in the office/shop area that I used to check in once a day) and where I am immersed in nature and beauty. I wouldn't want to travel all the way to one of the few truly biodiverse places left in the world just to stay in a hermetically sealed hotel room. So I loved the way the bungalows here are designed - there is an opening between the top of the walls and the ceiling to let air circulate, and the showers are partially outdoors (but still private). There is mosquito netting provided so you can still sleep undisturbed by critters despite this open design, and the netting worked well for me. The bungalows are immaculately maintained and very pretty.

Luna Lodge is small, which is a pro or a con depending on what you are seeking. I felt lucky that for most of my stay, there were only four other guests. That meant I got to monopolize a lot of the guide's time, which was a huge luxury. But don't expect to be presented with a huge - or any - dinner menu. The lodge will accommodate dietary restrictions (I'm a vegetarian) but other than that, everyone eats the same thing when there are such a small number of visitors. The food was excellent though.

Also remember nothing dries in the rainforest and everything you wear will get damp. So pack with more care than I did.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank StrandedinBrooklyn
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights enjoying such tranquility in the most amazing primary tropical forest I have experienced. Even rainy season didn't stop nature tours..a must do with such outstanding bilingual nature guides. Food was varied, creative, freshly prepared. The staff was very friendly and service was extraordinary.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Carefreekathy
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This lodge is worth the effort of getting there!
Organic meals served 3 times a day and Costa Rican coffee available all day long.
Accommodations are excellent and the location is heavenly.
Spa day a must and also a walking trip into the jungle.
The staff is fabulous!
I've been here twice and will return.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lajollabarbie
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The Luna Lodge in Carete, Osa Peninsula offered my wife and I the ultimate experience to Listen and SEE all a Jungle has to offer. This was the first adventure for my wife to an Adventure Lodge. Naturally, I was not sure how she would like the experience. Well, She cannot stop talking about the Cleanliness, the Lush Gardens, the 5 star food served and the attention the staff and Owner gives you. She is now ready to take on the World of Adventure Travel. The lodge is nestled on the edge of the mountain, right at tree top level, with views of the ocean, Toucans, Monkeys and birds too numerous to count. So, if this is your first adventure to a REAL Adventure Lodge. You can rest assured you will be pleased. From Alex and Nina King

Room Tip: Go with the bungalows
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank life77good
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!