“The Luna Lodge was the highlight of our 25 day vacation.”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

As a traveler I usually keep the beautiful treasures of my trips to myself for fear that they will lose their authenticity. The folks here are the real deal, they love this land. Every person who comes here will leave with an addiction for this peninsula. I've been home for 10 days and I can't get this particular lodge and region from my mind. A man at the lodge who had traveled there for many years mentioned that we would experience depression after leaving that lodge. I dismissed this comment. Last night I found myself on lonely planet reading about post travel depression. The sounds of the howler monkeys screeching in the mountains with the macaws filling the skies all the while your perched on a platform with the most beautiful views in every direction. Ive travelled all over the world and I don't say this lightly, the Luna Lodge was the best 6 days of travel I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: January 2014
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thank you very much for your opinion, we appreciate your view point and you taking the time to comment. For me and my staff it is very important to have your opinion. From your comments we can grow and become better every day. We hope that we will be fortunate to have you as a repeat guest here at Luna Lodge. Remember, we are a huge family, and right now you are part of us.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Of all the places we have had the good fortune to enjoy over the years, Luna Lodge tops our list. We were looking for something unusual, but this exceeded our expectations. The accommodations, excellently prepared food, 'green' sensibility, and thoughtful service on the part of all staff, made this a vacation to remember and tell friends about. The knowledgable guides were particularly helpful on the various trips we took into the forest. And always waiting on our return from a rocky ride back to the Lodge was someone with a tray of cold glasses of water for each of us. We would like to thank Lana and her mom for their genuine interest and concern for us while we were there. We heartily recommend Luna Lodge to anyone looking to see and experience nature up close, and do it in style.

Room Tip: My wife and I, active seniors, chose a cabin rather than a tent. The hike up the steep stone steps...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was our first trip to Costa Rica. I knew that sleeping in an open-air bungalow in high humidity would have its challenges, and it did. Overall, we had a nice stay at Luna Lodge. In order to give it a fair review I will break everything down:

Service and Hospitality
Outstanding. When we arrived, Lana greeted us with cold glasses of water. After traveling 11 hours, it was much needed. The staff worked its tail off while we were there. They are so buttoned up with arranging tours, charter flights, laundry, etc. Edwin was a tremendous help arranging our stay. Willy, Lana's mom, is a gem. She is so friendly and outgoing, and everyone calls her Mom. She makes Luna a special place.

Getting to Luna Lodge
Spring for the charter flights from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez and then from Puerto Jimenez to Carate. Do not ride the colectivo unless you want to be in sweltering heat, dust, and riding like cattle on the bumpiest road ever. Thank god we didn't take it. Even though the charter planes were super small, they were a much quicker alternative then riding like cattle :)

3 square meals a day are offered. Breakfast is usually the same each day...your choice of scrambled eggs, ham and cheese omelet, rice and beans, or granola. Only one day they had French toast. Lunch and dinner are mostly vegetarian-focused with a few showings of chicken, smoked pork chips, and tuna. Very generous portions. Lettuce and herbs are grown on the property. A few people got sick while we were there. I highly recommend you purify the water you drink (even the water they serve at the bar. I used a Camelbak All a Clear religiously every day). And consider taking a prescription of Cipro to be in the safe side.

Lodging
We stayed in bungalow 1, also known as the honeymoon suite. It is the only suite with a king sized bed, thus why I booked it. Great view overlooking the rain forest, and certainly the shortest walk to the main dining area which was great! I could not imagine making the trek all the way up to bungalows 6 and 7 or the tents up the hill. Nice open air shower in our room, spacious bathroom. Nice deck with toe rocking chairs.

Spa and Yoga
Ahmed is AMAZING. He is a true holistic healer. Don't miss a yoga class with him, he will give you a deeper sense of appreciation for it. And get a massage with him. My boyfriend, who has never had a Massage in his life, thought he was terrific. He got up off the table pain free. Ahmed will use a combination of trigger point, Thai stretching, Swedish, cupping, etc. to relieve tension. He does his work with true intention. A real master!

Critters
Look out!!! This was the number 1 thing that soured our trip to be honest. It is no fault of Luna Lodge...just a by-product of living in a humid climate in an open environment. The first night we saw an 8" scorpion climbing down the bathroom wall over the towel rack. That was enough to scare the bejesus out of my boyfriend, and he didn't sleep each night after that. We had numerous cockroaches, beetles, cicadas, ants, butterflies, little lizards, worms, you name it. Our least favorite part of the day was coming home after dinner and turning on the lights. Our shoes doubled as weapons to kill all the creepy crawlers. We took Tylenol PM each night so we could sleep. On the way up to the spa I encountered a snake alongside the steps. It scared me to death. It was at least 5 feet long and 2" high. The cicadas were too much for me. For some reason they came out in full force at dinner. You would be enjoying your meal and all of a sudden one would land on your neck. People would scream and jump up from the table. I hated them. Very disruptive to the dinner experience, sad to say. Bug zappers would be great but clearly aren't eco friendly and therefore won't be used at Luna Lodge. The cicadas during the day around the pool are deafening.

Wildlife
You will frequently see a sloth, many birds, macaws, and other interesting wildlife on the property. No monkeys.

Amenities and Tours
Corcovado hike was great with Oscar. He will find all the wildlife you need to see! He is amazing. It was LONG..8 hours start to finish. The waterfall hike around the property I would not say is easy but rather moderate. Wear sturdy hiking shoes. Kayaking is one thing I would say to avoid. There are crocodiles in the lagoon, people. We saw 2 very big ones,and one bumped the kayak or our guide, Erick. Be careful getting in and out of your kayak at he launch pad and do not step in murky water. Crocs hang out in those areas. Just be super careful and don't let your guard down. If I had to do it again, I would have skipped it. I was too scared. Pool is nice

All in all, I am glad we experienced Costa Rica but I don't think we will go back because of all the bugs. And we need a/c!

Room Tip: Bungalow 1 is the closest to the main dining area and the pool.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank havanahipster
Luna-Lodge, Director de Recepción at Luna Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you for choosing Luna Lodge for your recent vacation to the OSA Peninsula in Costa Rica. The Luna Lodge family enjoyed sharing our “…piece of paradise…” with you and we sincerely hope that your experience with us here in our rainforest community will stay with you throughout the coming year.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife and I stayed in one of the hacienda rooms. They were Ok as a room goes but one does not go there to hang out in your room. The dinning/common area was a great place to hang out with great views of the jungle. The chef does a great job with the food. You'll never feel hungry there. To float in the pool and simply look up one will see the tree where all the local toucans hang out. Go on a hike into the park with the guide named Gary, he’s got the best eyes nose and ears for finding wildlife.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Extremely good service and nice staff. The owner, Lana, welcomed us when we arrived and made sure we were settled in our room and showed us around. Lana is a fantastic and a very inspiring person. She is very eco-aware and works hard to preserve the rain forest. Our hiking tour in Corcovado was perfect. We saw plenty of animals and the guide Gary was very nice and had high knowledge about the animals and the rainforest.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed at Luna Lodge for a week in January. We stayed in a "tent" at the very top of the resort. Although it was a hike up, the view was terrific. Half way down was the yoga platform looking over the rain forest. Everything was wonderful. Lana's vision of Luna Lodge has made it a truly great place to bird watch, explore the rain forest and just relax. The food was great. They accommodated many vegetarians. The fruit was unbelievable. The staff was gracious and very welcoming. The other guests were also wonderful as Luna Lodge attracts people interested in experiencing the rain forest with respect, The guides were so knowledgeable. We saw so many birds and animals. I left feeling that I was leaving great friends. I am planning to go back in several months!

Room Tip: There are tents with an attached bathroom -- with shower, toilet and sink. The beds were very comfo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EvanstonTraveler

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was fortunate enough to spend time here in December 2013 (not nearly long enough mind you!) and it was quite simply one of the most spectacular places I have ever stayed. An incredible setting with the most beautiful detached bungalows and amazing wildlife everywhere you look! Lana & her staff could not have been more welcoming or accommodating to our group and I can't wait to revisit in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jonathan C

Lana and the Luna family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
#6 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!