“Not worth the drive/flight over and not the $$. Not too much to do unless you're a bird watcher.”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We have been all over Costa Rica and wanted to experience the Osa peninsula. Carate is probably the farthest point you can drive, and other than 3 or 4 lodges there is nothing there. I expected to see a lot more animals there and to experience a more secluded region. My wife and I booked two nights at Luna Lodge and three of the following nights at La Leona. The drive there was torturous to say the least and DON'T even think of coming with any vehicle other than a large 4 wheel drive!
You cross some rivers (6 or 7) and the way never ends. very long! Was it worth it? Not really. I haven't found any more animals at the Osa or Corcovado park than at other places, in fact even less, and we hiked a lot.
Luna has one nice deck at the lobby with a nice view but other than that there is nothing really there to see other than birds. You will get bored of the place after a day. My impression of the owner Lana is that she is all business! She will charge you for everything, nothing is included, not even breakfast. We paid for the early morning bird tour expecting the guide to take us on a hike? Instead we walked about 5 minutes to some wood deck with 20 other people. He just pointed out some birds and that was it, tour over.
The food was buffet style, nothing special though we did get charged restaurant prices.
If you still want to go all that way instead of enjoying so many much more beautiful parts of Costa Rica, than at least stay somewhere else. You can always go to Luna for lunch and take a walk around, it would be sufficient. Oh, and some of the rooms are so high up the hill, get ready for a hike! LOL, not easy or fun to have to climb up there every-time you want to get to your room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mickey K
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you so much for your opinion. We know that Carate and the Osa Peninsula are not for everyone. Thank you! Lana from the Luna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 February 2014

As a solo traveler its sometimes difficult to find a place that fits the bill for photography and safety. Luna Lodge did just that for me, lots of trails and even a swim pool. Monkeys every day on the property and many types of birds. They have many trips you can take for a cost and will even give you a ride to the ocean that is at the base of the hill they are on for a fee. Internet is from 6-9 at night only, so was able to communicate with husband. Laundry is also available, same day turn around sometimes. The Lodge has 3 levels of accommodations, I stayed in the middle level with a row of rooms connected, you could hear your neighbors talk. but everyone was in bed pretty early so not a big issue. I would recommend the tents or the individual bungalows. You will not need shampoo, conditioner or soap, all provided. Bring a hair dryer because it is difficult for your pillow to dry with the humidity in the area.

Room Tip: The tents really are very nice, I think I would not hesitate to book one.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
We loved having you at Luna Lodge. Thank you very much for your opinion, we appreciate your view point and you taking the time to comment. For myself and my staff it is very important to have your opinion. From your comments we can grow and become better every day. We hope that we will be fortunate to have you as a repeat guest here at Luna Lodge. Remember, we are a huge family, and right now you are part of us.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife and I wanted a week of relaxation in beautiful surroundings, and we could not have picked a better spot. Lana, the owner, is amazing, and she has created an incredible place here in CR. The lodge staff are very friendly, and the tour guides have great knowledge of the local wildlife. We stayed in the tent cabins and loved it - it's basic, but we did not come here to spend the day in our room. We did yoga every morning, and I don't think you can find a more beautiful place to practice. This was our first time in CR and we can't wait to go back. You just feel good in this place.

Room Tip: Expect a bumpy ride from Puerto Jimenez to the lodge
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Hey guys, very nice to see you here. We had a great time back in December, right? hahaha. Hey guest what ? we are going to have a Yoga retreat this May... Thank you very much for your opinion..PURA VIDA.
Gunnison, Colorado
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We have returned to Luna Lodge three times because it is a different kind of vacation. It is the type of stay where you 'are one with nature', 'stop your hurried world and relax', and 'truly focus on who and what is important'. You can do absolute nothing or you can do yoga, surf, run, walk, swim, hike, kayak, ride, bird watch, etc. You pick and you select each day. The surroundings help you come down from your other world and appreciate Costa Rica at its' finest. The food is healthy gourmet. Lana has carved out a spot that is quiet, peaceful, full of wildlife and absent of distractions. In all ways you feel healthier when you depart. It is the definition of vacation.

Room Tip: They are all very very nice. Just choose whether you prefer to hike a bit higher or stay close to th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was our (my family and I) first trip through Costa-Rica, and Luna Lodge literaly overwhelmed us with its amaizing atmosphere, very kind owners and friendly dog Osa :) We've seen a vast range of insects and birds there during the day and night trips. Every evening we tasted always different and delicious dinner. The places around Luna Lodge are dry and appropriate to walk, so we didn't mess our sport shoes at all. I wanna thank Lana for providind this great opportunity for tourists all over the world! I am looking forward to visit this fantastic place again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for choosing Luna Lodge for your recent vacation to the OSA Peninsula in Costa Rica. The Luna Lodge family enjoyed sharing our “…piece of paradise…” with you and we sincerely hope that your experience with us here in our rainforest community will stay with you throughout the coming year .
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Lana and her staff were awesome. This is like going to camp, only a thousand times better as the food is wonderful, the quarters are great, and the scenery is breathtaking. I went with my sister to see the Osa, and how we met up with such great group of travelers and staff in this remote setting still surprises us. I read the reviews and was pretty confident we would like it, though a few concerned me. Now that I am back, I miss it!! The very few critical reviews on here baffle me. HEALTHY defines this place. Wonderful food that is mostly pretty good for you, so if you want burgers you won't find them, but I am a Midwestern meat eater and I did fine on the food and got all the calories I needed for serious hiking and fun. Comraderie was super cool. The day long hike in the Osa is a must if you can walk the 12 or so miles (I am 50 and it wasn't bad, though I was a little bit sore and slept well that night). The horseback riding was nice, though they are not quite up to the shape that we are used to back home, but nothing sad or anything as I've seen in some other countries and tourist areas. The beach was great, though the water is rather rough and it isn't a great swimmer's beach. This is remote folks, and you won't find many places left with a beautiful beach stretching miles without buildings and development and lots of people. The wildlife we saw was great! Tapir, all 4 monkeys of costa rica, lots of birds. Never thought mackaws would seem like a non-event as they fly by :) Didn't see some of the spiders or snakes that I actually hoped to, but my sister and others there didn't seem to mind that. All in all, this was a trip I will never forget, and I hope to come back again. Costa Rica and its people are amazing, and Lana and the people she employs are doing something unique and cool to keep that going. Tourism is the main way to keep such treasures, and they are doing it with minimal impact while still providing a touch of luxury. Oh, and I'm not really into Yoga, though I did it one morning with them and it was a very good time. Nice head space and decent workout on an incredible deck perched out over the forest canopy with a view to the sea. Amazing. And Amed, the masseuse, was AWESOME. Get a treatment, especially after hiking all day, and you will probably schedule another. We also stayed a few days over closer to San Juan on our visit to CR. Everyone over there was impressed that we had "done the Osa," and we are still changed forever by it. I have committed to learn some Spanish, add a little Yoga to my life, and remember Pura Vida when my stress builds back home. THANK you Lana, Gary, Amed, and all the rest of you wonderful folks holding down that awesome place for us. I hope our paths cross again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the tents, which were the most luxurious tents I have ever stayed in. Barely tents at a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JeffMcMillian
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion, we appreciate your view point and you taking the time to comment. For me and my staff it is very important to have your opinion. From your comments we can grow and become better every day. We hope that we will be fortunate to have you as a repeat guest here at Luna Lodge. Remember, we are a huge family, and right now you are part of us.
Oswego, New York
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have been back in my day-to-day life for 2.5 weeks now. (And, in my opinion, my day-to-day life is pretty awesome.) But, I can't help but wish I was still at Luna Lodge! The people, the place, the food, the sounds.... all breathtaking. And, I can't forget Osa, the canine queen who holds court at Luna Lodge.

I don't think I've ever been so completely relaxed and rejuvenated, all at the same time. There were lots of things to do - yoga classes, bird-watching, sunrise kayaking, trail hiking, massage, beachwalking and more - but, it was also wonderful to simply sit by the pool and enjoy the sounds of the rain forest. The food was magnificent. Lana, I'm looking forward to the Luna Lodge cookbook you said is "almost finished." I could go on and on and on.

I ventured to Luna Lodge with a group of people variously connected to our local yoga studio. I had never met some of the travelers in our group. We had a wonderful time together and also enjoyed the guests who weren't a part of our group.

Luna Lodge may not be perfect for those with mobility issues. (However, a man in his 90's was staying at Luna while we were there. I don't know if he climbed all the way up to the yoga platform or the tent cabins. But, he navigated quite well in the rancho and by the pool.) We flew to San Jose, CR, on Saturday then took a charter flight (6-seater planes) to Carate (@ 1hr) on Sunday morning. Members of Lana's staff were there at the airstrip to meet; they drove us the 15-20 minute "ride" (4-wheeling) up to the lodge where, of course, Lana met us with refreshing glasses of cold water!

Room Tip: If you're up for a 4.5 minute climb to your accomodations, ask for bungalow #7; it has a view of...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion, we appreciate your view point and you taking the time to comment. We cannot wait to have you back, and spend the time together having fun in here. Big Hug from La Luna!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Copa de Arbol Beach and Rainforest Resort
#1 of 6 in Carate
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!