“There's no place like home”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Syracuse, New York
“There's no place like home”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was my first time traveling alone in a foreign country and the Luna Lodge was my last stop on my trip. I was welcomed as if i was family when I arrived. The Lodge itself was beautiful and I was truly in the middle of the jungle. I stayed in one of the luxury tents at the very top of the property with a view of the Pacific in the distance with the sound of waves crashing in the backround. Plan on rising early to the sound of howler monkeys if you stay in one of the tents. The meals included in the stay were delicious some the best food I've had in a long time. I had signed up for several tours with Corcavado hike my favorite. The guides for my hikes were very knowledgeable of the fauna and animals. I stayed 2 additional days which was well worth it and Lana arranged a flight for me back to San Jose. I left with a tear in my I feeling like I was leaving my family.

Room Tip: If your traveling solo or as a couple the tents are very nice. A bit of a hike from the lodge remebe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Luna-Lodge, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you very much for your opinion, we appreciate your view point and you taking the time to comment. For me and my staff it is very important to have your opinion. From your comments we can grow and become better every day. We hope that we will be fortunate to have you as a repeat guest here at Luna Lodge. Remember, we are a huge family, and right now you are part of us.
Lana and the Luna family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This place was incredibly beautiful and peaceful! Not close to the beach at all, but no matter-too hot for that. Great healthy food and the Yoga platform view is to die for!
Don't miss out on the massage of a lifetime. Swaying white curtains on a platform high in the rainforest. Literally watched toucans and hummingbirds fly over head while getting the best massage of my life!

Room Tip: If you have any health problems make sure you request a room near the lodge. Most of the bungalows a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hot+Pool+Montain+Nature = Luna Lodge, correct??

Thank you for choosing Luna Lodge for your recent vacation to the OSA Peninsula in Costa Rica. The Luna Lodge family enjoyed sharing our “…piece of paradise…” with you and we sincerely hope that your experience with us here in our rainforest community will stay with you throughout the coming year.

Playa Potrero, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Our trip to Luna Lodge was one wonderful experience after the other. The minute we arrived Lana, the owner and builder, met us at the car with a welcome drink and the great service continued until we left three days later. Everything was on time and exactly as they said it would be. The gourmet and healthy food, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, was superb. Everyone is so friendly. Lana's mother is so knowledgeable and helpful as is all the staff especially Corcovado guide ,Gary. His knowledge of all the flora and fauna was outstanding. We took the hike through Corcovado and fished from kayaks in the lagoon at sunrise . Both unforgettable! My wife had the best massage and yoga session of her life. She was so impressed by these that at dinner that night she stood in the middle of the dining room and gave a speech to everyone about how wonderful it was.

We have lived in northern Costa Rica for seven years and had not been to the Osa before.
We will return to this beautiful paradise, Luna Lodge, soon.

Denio and Ewa

Room Tip: Bungalows are lower elevation. Tents are higher elevation.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
What a Wonderful World, oops!! What a Wonderful Luna....

Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

With the plan of staying just two night we ended up extending our stay for another two nights. The location was excellent to spot a wildlife and the stuff service exceptional.

You get views on the tropical forest from your bungalows/tents and see Macaws fly aroud and may spot monkeys as the traverse the forest.

The food and the stuff was great and helpful. They all live there and act as a one big family. The price could have been lower, but taking in consideration the lodge is build as sustainable and environmentally friendly with a focus on supporting the local comunnity I take it is worth giving my money to people who really deserve it ;)

Room Tip: Bungalow #1 aka Honeymoon suite has a view of the valey on the tropical forest and is close to the r...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Luna-Lodge, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hey guys, the dolphins are asking when are you gonna come back...hahaha...
West Glacier, Montana
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Some friends recommended Luna Lodge so I looked forward to visiting. It is a truly lovely site high up at the end of the road. Set in the rain forest with a view of the ocean. My son spends a lot of time in Costa Rica so he was glad to visit a place he was unfamiliar with. I spent three weeks in Costa Rica and Luna Lodge was my favorite. We stayed way up in the tents which was great exercise for my new knee. We hiked to the waterfalls, watched the birds and monkeys, and took a trip to Corcovado Park with a great guide. The food was good, it's eco-friendly, and the pool is wonderful.

Room Tip: tents are a hike up, very peaceful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Luna-Lodge, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 10 March 2014

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Gorgeous setting and nice birding! Delicious food and friendly staff. While the tent cabins are perfectly fine - simple with everything one needs,the hike up to them is not for the faint of heart: 150 steep steps.
Also, what was billed as "all day birding in Corcovado" was a 6 hour hike in 90 degree temperatures with 90% humidity. And not that many birds. Better birding right around the lodge itself.
We had the 3-day birding package and did not feel we were overcharged.

Room Tip: Tent cabins are great if you can make the climb.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Beautiful Challenge he?? hahaha.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We have been all over Costa Rica and wanted to experience the Osa peninsula. Carate is probably the farthest point you can drive, and other than 3 or 4 lodges there is nothing there. I expected to see a lot more animals there and to experience a more secluded region. My wife and I booked two nights at Luna Lodge and three of the following nights at La Leona. The drive there was torturous to say the least and DON'T even think of coming with any vehicle other than a large 4 wheel drive!
You cross some rivers (6 or 7) and the way never ends. very long! Was it worth it? Not really. I haven't found any more animals at the Osa or Corcovado park than at other places, in fact even less, and we hiked a lot.
Luna has one nice deck at the lobby with a nice view but other than that there is nothing really there to see other than birds. You will get bored of the place after a day. My impression of the owner Lana is that she is all business! She will charge you for everything, nothing is included, not even breakfast. We paid for the early morning bird tour expecting the guide to take us on a hike? Instead we walked about 5 minutes to some wood deck with 20 other people. He just pointed out some birds and that was it, tour over.
The food was buffet style, nothing special though we did get charged restaurant prices.
If you still want to go all that way instead of enjoying so many much more beautiful parts of Costa Rica, than at least stay somewhere else. You can always go to Luna for lunch and take a walk around, it would be sufficient. Oh, and some of the rooms are so high up the hill, get ready for a hike! LOL, not easy or fun to have to climb up there every-time you want to get to your room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mickey K
Luna-Lodge, Propietario at Luna Lodge, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you so much for your opinion. We know that Carate and the Osa Peninsula are not for everyone. Thank you! Lana from the Luna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!