“This is a not to be missed lodge in a not to be missed part of the world”
Review of Luna Lodge

Luna Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carate
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We live in Costa Rica, so we get around to different parts of the country and stay in all types of accommodations, but Luna Lodge is the most special place we have ever stayed here! Unbelievably remote it is one a special way to experience a special part of the world. Osa is one of the last lowland rain forests left in the world, so it is not something you experience everyday. When you finally arrive at the lodge, you cannot believe how they possibly built and maintain such a beautiful place in such a hard to reach location. (Note) If you drive yourself - it is an interesting drive, very beautiful , but at times insane ;-) Make sure you walk all the walks, and go to the lagoon and kayak - there is such beauty there you should not miss it. And the food- I do not know how they do it - the food is excellent, and Lana and her team make sure you are taken care of if you have restrictions - we are vegetarians and had some wonderful meals ( one of the mushroom dishes was actually to die for!) . Even the infrastructure of the hotel is interesting - they supply all their own power with a small hydro generation facility, and all the water is from their springs . And if you are into spas and yoga, it has amazing facilities to offer.

Room Tip: Hotel is on a steep slope, so if you want a great view, but a really steep hike to your room, ask fo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank TomaSchultz

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed with a teenage daughter for a week at Luna Lodge. We both LOVED it: from the morning yoga to the trails to observe wildlife or the healthy (and absolutely delicious) food...We would sleep to the sound of howling monkeys. The massages were incredible too!
This is a perfect lodge experience: we got to experience nature while still being in a very comfortable setting (we had a tent with a shower and bathroom)! Lana and the whole team at Luna Lodge are all fabulous and made our stay a wonderful experience.
Fantastic choice to experience nature, to relax and be secluded.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PascaInMD
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We loved the osa peninsula & we loved luna lodge! It's an amazing experience to be smack in the middle of the jungle with macaws, toucans, monkeys & a bunch of other neat critters... The jungle sounds are something incredible. The lodge only accommodates a small number of people, which I really like as I dislike the big hotel experience. The service is great--everyone was very helpful and attentive without being fawning & fake, which is the case many places. The food was incredibly tasty. It was homemade tasting with healthy recipes, instead of the usual greasy, high fat food that you get sick of while traveling. I also really liked not having the standard restaurant experience. There are 2 options at breakfast, lunch is already plated & dinner is a buffet. The overall experience lends itself to feeling cozy & more home-like, which i liked a lot. A lot of people wrote in their reviews about the long, bumpy road. We found that to be somewhat the norm in Costa Rica. I was bracing myself for worse & i was almost 6 months pregnant. It wasn't a big deal I thought & was a beautiful drive, though it's worth staying at least 3 nights to make all the travel worthwhile. I debated a lot between Luna Lodge & Lapa Rios, which is much more expensive. Am happy I chose Luna. My husband & I missed the lodge a lot after we left. Have been 2ce now to Costa Rica to a number of places & found this to be the least commercial/developed. Also, my understanding is that the proprietor (Lana) is investing in buying adjacent land for preservation purposes. So you can feel good about where your money is going. if you want to have a different experience that you will not find elsewhere--getting in touch with nature, then this is the place to come. If you need A/C & are petrified of animals/insects, this is not the place to come. One note on insects is that there were very few mosquitos as we were high up/away from the beach/lagoon. Also, we came in July & did not have issues with the rain (one big rain at night only)--that was one of my bigger concerns which wound up being a non-issue.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank neenzfabulous
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at another location our first two nights at the Osa Peninsula and then came to Luna Lodge upon recommendation of friends. It was absolutely amazing!!! Everything just as I had dreamed of being at a rain forest jungle lodge. The food was good, yoga was great and a fantastic massage. If you wish to go on a hike by yourself, jus take Osa the lodge dog with you and he is a great guide! He knows all the secret trails and is happy to show these to you, just amazing and so smart. Just know that he can walk all day so you may have to tell him it is time to go home!

The staff was wonderful, friendly and extremely accommodating at all requests. I will definitely make this a yearly excursion and cannot say enough good things about Luna Lodge. Truly an amazing place if you enjoy the jungle.

Becky

Room Tip: We stayed in a bungalow and it was perfect, covered outdoor bathrooms and nicely furnished with a tr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank specialplacescr
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was traveling alone through Costa Rica in 2012-2013 and stayed at Luna Lodge in December 2012 and then a second time because I loved it so much in March 2013 (I think? I forget the exact dates). It was just before I returned home to NY. I stayed in a bungalow both times and absolutely loved it. I love how the walls are not connected to the roof so it's kind of like you're outside, but not. I got to see and hear all four types of monkeys while I was there. The staff were amazing and I never had to carry any of my stuff. The food was absolutely delicious and the people I met at the lodge, both guests and employees, were all so friendly and interesting. You get people from all over the world there. During my two stays, which were for about a week each, I went running on the beach with new Canadian friends, I did the 8-hour hike with Oscar through the national park. I rode horses, did the bird-watching hike with other travelers, swam in the pool (maybe skinny dipped a little with other adventurous people from the US :) And I did the yoga classes lead by Lana in the mornings. I got a few massages at the spa which were great and had drinks at the bar with new friends after each dinner. I think Lana works hard for such a good cause and Luna lodge is so beautiful and peaceful as a result. It's hard to explain in words the extent of all the good things that I got out of both of my stays there, but there is something truly magical about this place, underneath the surface, beyond what you first see. The location has such a calming effect on everyone, it's amazing to experience how relaxed and friendly everyone becomes once they settle in there. I made some amazing friends at Luna Lodge who I still keep in touch with today, two years later! I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Costa Rica. I have traveled the entire country and Luna Lodge was my favorite place in Costa Rica without a doubt. I hope to come back for Christmas or New Year's in the future! Thank you for existing Luna Lodge!! xox

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Kaitee P
Reviewed 17 June 2014

As a birder with Costa Rica on my Birding Bucket list, I couldnt have selected a better place. The remoteness was exciting, the birds were wonderful and the staff could tell you the bird by sound. The food arranged especially for this Vegan couple was the best and freshest we've had. There was a sloth in the tree outside our 'luxury' tent! The attention we received, the unbelievable cleaness (considering the remote location) and the concern for fulfilling our requests was amazing. They grow the herbs on site. The pool was refreshing and clean. The tropical rainforest vegetation was amazing! One caveat, I couldnt climb to the tent at the top and they were able to give me one lower down the mountain. I also was concerned about the ability to take the DAY trip to Corcovado in the heat so we opted out. We heard that we missed a lot of wildlife. The lagoon trip we took twice! Saw 4 different kinds of monkeys. Had my first and best massage ever. And oh, we never go back to the same place, but for the first time ever we'll go back! Others there were on their 2nd and 3rd trips back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brenda D
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This place was amazing, Getting there was a bit of trouble the road is terrible but that's what it's like when your at the end of the road.The food was awesome the chef top notch.
I will recommend staying in the lower units closer to the lodge it is a hike to the tents.
All in all Luna Lodge in very nice but a one time stop for me to far from other things to do.

Room Tip: Stay in the lower units.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martydonna60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Luna Lodge? Share your experiences!