“If I could click my heels three times and return to Lookout Inn, I'd do so in a minute...”
Review of Lookout Inn Lodge

Lookout Inn Lodge
Reviewed 17 March 2011

My family (7 and 9 year old kids and wife) spent 4 days at Lookout Inn and the place more than lived up to our expectations. The staff was remarkably friendly helping my kids navigate the mighty Pacific and always had smiles on their faces. Terry and Katya literally treat the situation as you are a guest in their house -- they eat all meals with you and hang out during the day. The location is unbeatable -- one day I went for a run down to the park entrance and passed only one person and was escorted by scarlet macaws, monkeys and a few dogs. We stayed in the tiki huts which were awesome! We had a macaw come in to our room. My children say this was their favorite place in Costa Rica, it was mine, too. Terry runs a tight ship without making anyone feel like they are in a hotel....you are a guest in their house instead. Swimming in the ocean, walking the grounds and beach, eating and talking with the crew and drinking during sunsets were just some of the highlights of the place. We will return. A very peaceful place with great people.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at Lookout Inn Lodge with friends for 6 nights in Jan. 2011. We stayed in the Monkey Hut - our friends stayed in the Jungle Hut. We had a wonderful time - the trip of a lifetime. We often got up for a quick hike before breakfast, went on another hike before lunch and relaxed in the afternoon until happy hour. Enjoyed the other guests, LOVED the Monkey Hut (even tho there is no hot water), food was ample and delicious with lots of variety, wildlife and birds plentiful. We hiked to Corcovada with Eric, the resident guide, who is very knowledgeable, hiked to the lagoon, Shady Lane (multiple times), Stairway to Heaven and to the waterfalls. Saw something new every time. If you love the outdoors - you will love Lookout Inn Lodge. We were not able to swim or kayak which we had planned on doing. The surf was too rough for swimming and kayaking and no kayaks were available at the lagoon. In the end it didn't matter - we had plenty to do because we loved the hikes!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2011

If you are looking for:

- a deserted, clean beach;
- a jungle full of monkeys and scarlet macaws;
- excellent food;
- interesting guests,
- a variety of beautiful rooms and,
- knowledgeable hosts who are committed to making sure that their guests are comfortable

.... then I would highly recommend the Lookout Inn.

The first time I visited here was four years ago and I thought it was perfect, THEN.

I was delighted to see that Terry (American) and Katya (Costa Rican) have added some rooms that are absolutely spectacular.

Your days start with the sound of the surf pounding on the beach one hundred feet below, and the parrots and macaws calling through the palm trees. At 6 a.m. he coffee is hot, the fruit juices are cold, and the banana bread is delicious. At 7, breakfast is served and it varies from pancakes to ranchos huevos and the fruit is local and fresh.

Then the day is yours - do you want to boogie board? Go for a hike with an excellent guide through the Corcovado park to look for jaguars? ant eaters? butterflies? birds? Sit and read in the shade of the cabana on a deserted beach? Have a massage? Fish in the surf? Arrange a trip into Puerto Jiminez or over to the animal rescue sanctuary? It's all possible.

Lunches and dinners are excellent, the company of the hosts is lively, guests who are intrepid enough to make the trek to the Lookout Inn are interesting. Terry will arrange for a driver to pick you up in Puerto Jiminez, or you can fly right to the airstrip which just down the beach.

Special recommendation: stay in the "spa" and enjoy cool soaks in your own private "pool". Open air showers are a rare treat.

The night sky is absolutely beautiful because this Inn is so remote - they use generators for their power. it is gloriously dark at night.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2011

My girlfriend and I spent 7 nights at the Lookout from Jan 11-18.
This was our third trip to Costa Rica. We stayed previously at the Occidental Papagayo in Guanecaste and Ylang Ylang beach resort in Montezuma -- both were fantastic!
That being said... they don't begin to compare to The Lookout.

I could probably write a full page about how much we loved the lookout, but I'll try to be brief. I'll begin by saying, the reviews are true! There's something very special about this place.

Service/Staff:
Terry, Katya, Greivin, Louis, and all of the staff were amazing. From the moment we arrived we were treated like family. Everyone works very hard to make sure you never want for anything.

Food:
Delicious & local. Served buffet style with plenty of variety. There's plenty available for 2nds -- no one goes hungry. Terry's great for accommodating any dietary concerns.
Beers were always cold!

Accommodations:
We stayed in the Tiki huts for the whole week. What an experience! There's nothing quite like hearing the roar of the ocean and sounds of the forest 24/7. The room/washroom was always clean. Surprisingly insects were not an issue -- very few bites.

Activities:
We went on a day excursion with the local guide Eric to the Corcovado park. It's a long hike, but well worth the effort. Eric was very friendly and knowledgeable. Don't forget your camera! --there's plenty of wildlife and beautiful scenery.
The rest of our time was spent exploring on our own. There are a few very nice trails on the stairway to heaven and you can walk alone along the pristine beach until your heart's content.

Soo... we loved the lookout and can't wait to visit again.
Do yourself a favor and take the plunge... unplug from reality and visit this little slice of heaven that is the Lookout Inn!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank manoccs
Reviewed 5 March 2011

Just wonderfull, not cheep, nice people, good bear, good food, and a lot more.
The area is beautyfull. The Corcovado is one of a kind, its a paradies here.
I will be come back a second time with my wife. she must stay here with me at Terry House.
My first little home was a house, whre you can feel the jungle pure and direct.
Its one of the best places i ever visited and i travel a lot.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2011

My title really says it all. I spent a month there on a working vacation. The wildlife is amazing. Fantastic for either lounging on beach or working off calories hikings. The food is also great. It is also provides a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world, as food is served buffet style. The owners are very informal and approachable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MisterTee1
Reviewed 15 February 2011

WOW! A trip of a lifetime My three sons planed this trip to Costa Rica.I,m 78 years old and never in my wildest dream did i ever think i would spend time in paradise.We stayed in the monkey house and blue butterfly house.What a great view of the jungle and the ocean.The four days we,re there were full of adventure and out standing wild life.I can be honest when i say we did not have a bad meal during the entire stay .Terry and Katya make our stay very in joyable. Thank,s for the memories.Gene,Mike, Steve, and Tom

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank eugenewillie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Luna Lodge
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
LagunaVista Villas
LagunaVista Villas
#4 of 6 in Carate

Been to Lookout Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!