“We loved the dinners, and the lovely and welcoming ambience.”
Review of Lookout Inn Lodge

Lookout Inn Lodge
Iowa City
“We loved the dinners, and the lovely and welcoming ambience.”
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We loved the dinners and the lovely ambience at the Lookout Inn. We were staying at a nearby house, but we had our dinners for one week with Terry, his wife, and their assistant Jeff. They are lovely people, and we had a wonderful time. We would highly recommend it. The food was excellent. Every night we had delicious food, and we always had a wonderful, fresh salad. Everyone was extremely pleasant and welcoming.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Hebrew first
Gatineau, Quebec
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We stayed at the Lookout Inn on our way to Corcovado National Park. We first had planned to spend the night in Puerto Jimenez but changed for the Lookout Inn in Carate. We wished we could have stayed there for longer, actually I wish I were still there. The food, the atmosphere and the setting are out of this world. Terry is a colourfull guy. Walter, one of the staff, is a great asset to the place. Just go. For more than one night.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 March 2009

If you are looking for a place to get away from it all, this is it. This was my 4th trip to Costa Rica and 3rd to the Corcovado area because I love the territory so much. We chose the Tiki Huts which open directly into the jungle, meaning there are only 3 walls. The ocean is visible through the different flora and fauna and a mosquito net encircles your bed. Definitely a unique sleeping experience we all truly enjoyed. They have other options as well for those that need 4 walls and a personal bathroom though. I highly suggest you treat yourself to a Tiki Hut or the Monkey House if they are available for your travel dates. Seemed like we were showing off our rooms to those that chose the real rooms and felt everyone wished they didnt go for the 4 walls option.

Especially when we showed them our bathroom and shower. Talk about being out there.. Once again, 3 walls.. No one can "really" see you unless they are walking underneath you, so besides the landscaper it's just you and the jungle.. And they even have warm water if you shower the earliest! A real bonus in the Corcovado area..

Beds were comfortable enough, a little fan is located on the headboard but wasn't really needed because a nice breeze from the ocean always swept through the room. Sleep is easy. Especially if you take advantage of everything there is to do during the day which I will outline below..

Predawn, seriously 20 minutes before the sunrise, it's like a light switch was turned on and every bird in the jungle is saying good morning as loud as they can. 5:30am to be exact.. Thankfully there is no night life here to regret the morning after.. That is unless you consider nightlife to be when it is dark outside, say 7ish? This nightly event occurs when all the guests have finished their dinner and the DJ starts spinning the tunes and the bar comes alive on the 2nd floor. In reality, someone connects their ipod and pushes play. The owner Terri tightens the handkerchief around his head, concentrates on the bottle he opened the day before and presumably tells the same story about monkey and other random jungle stories us travelers love to ask questions about. Terri, his wife and the other staff were great. Your evening all depends on what you want to make of it and who's visiting. Every night though was conversational fun with lots of drink.. Great chance to meet other people, share stories and kick back in the perfect weather and atmosphere.

All meals were provided and were delicious everytime.. I suppose you can call this a Bed & Breakfast/Dinner. There is too much to see in the park and miles of coastline to explore to say we had lunch. When you go on your daytrips, a packed lunch, usually pb&j shall be your culinary experience with some cookies.. Both breakfast and dinner were always provided and there was always enough to feel full and the meals were always very good.

As far as location / surroundings, really cant get much more remote and beautiful so close to the USA. All starts with the flight in a tiny 6 seater airplane and landing on a dirt strip 100' from the ocean. Corcovado park ready to share its wildlife treasures once again. Toucans and Scarlet Macaws always overhead or squawking nearby. Howler monkey's heard, white faced and spider monkey's seen in their natural environment every day. (Cool banana setup Lookout did to attract these wild monkeys btw. 5' away they eat casually so great photo and video ops I took advantage of.)

I suggest doing the corcovado trip at least 2x while there.. Each day brings a new experience and sighting.. Our highlight was an Anteater that was so close I could touch it. Others saw Tapir. Some saw Jaguar. None of us saw the same thing though so going more than once obviously betters your odds to see the certain species you wish to view.. Just know they really are there and you are in their environment...

A few possible Negatives:

This place is not for the handicap. I am physically strong but and it didnt bother me/us. Lots of stairs to always climb. Very vertical location.. If you like stairs, they even have a Stairway to Heaven you can try which I personally think is the stairway to hell.. Did it, got peed on by the locusts and thought it was rain (very cooling btw) Decent view but learned my legs were out of shape..

Beach can be dangerous... Riptides, No lifeguards and they have some pretty decent sized waves that rocked all of us at certain times... If you dont believe me, ask about their poor doberman that got swept up and drowned.. So swimmers, make sure you have at least a few buddies with you..

Finally, the heat and sun are no joke... Do the obvious, sunscreen, lots of water etc, but be prepared to sweat like never before on any hike you venture on... Ocean temp was great. No wetsuits etc needed to feel comfortable..

To sum this trip up, Pura Vida is a saying in Costa Rica which means, "The Good Life".. It doesnt get much "gooder" than this. Lookout Inn is not a 5 star hotel, not even a 3 if you are a holiday inn type of traveler. If you are looking for a remote experience, good food, good people, enjoy birds or wildlife, I assure you a good time shall be had here..

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank SpicyEdit
New York City
Reviewed 20 February 2009

We just returned from a six-day vacation at Lookout Inn on the Osa Peninsula. It's the perfect place to combine relaxing on a gorgeous beach with exploring the rainforest and all its wildlife, right around the inn and in nearby Corcovado National Park. In the time we were there we saw spider, howler and capuchin monkeys, Baird's tapirs, an agouti, many coati, countless scarlet macaws, two crocodiles, iguanas and all kinds of birds. We swam every day on the gorgeous beach right across the road from the inn. Very relaxed, friendly atmosphere, great food and service. Terry and Katya are wonderful hosts. Jeff, the bartender, mixes wonderful drinks and makes guests feel at home.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Montana
Reviewed 20 February 2009

We are about to schedule our 3rd trip to Lookout Inn, and it's no exaggeration to suggest a permanent visit would be perfect. Enjoy a stunning mix of nature and comfort. Bring a bathing suit, shorts, flip-flops and a shirt and leave the rest at home. Oh yes, don't forget your camera!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
United States
Reviewed 1 February 2009

I’ve visited the Osa Peninsula on two separate occasions and I can say without a doubt that the Lookout Inn is the place to stay. I had originally booked for three days but after spending just one day there, I knew I wanted to stay for my entire time in Costa Rica. I ended up staying a total of nine days and loved every minute of it.

The staff was attentive to my every need… they always put in the extra effort and special touches to make my stay very memorable. I want to extend a special thank you to Jackson and Wagner, both top-notch guys that know their way around a kitchen and can create art with recipes and place settings equal to a five star resort; Jef, an Osa bartender who has no equal and a jack of all trades to boot… he mixes a mean drink (try a Stargarita!) and never fails to entertain with his quick witted humor; Alejandra, who is an amazing person and talented artist… her work is displayed in many places at the Lookout Inn; Last but not least, Terry and Kattia… who run the place with an uncanny attention to every detail and make the Lookout Inn feel like a home.

All but a few of the “rooms” at the Inn are like something out of a jungle story dream. If you can even call them rooms, because four of them are like some Robinson Crusoe inspired abode that will make you feel as if you’re “one with nature” while living among all the jungle’s flora and fauna. The elevated and open design of the Swing-In Spa and Monkey House literally removes the barriers that we all deal with in our traditional homes or offices so you really feel that you are in a vastly different place. The two Tiki Huts are smaller, but also open towards the Pacific and are perfect for the solo traveler or a couple. No matter which one you choose, nearly all of your senses are stimulated… the sound of the ocean waves and nightly calls of rainforest creatures, the smells of the flowers and plant life, the sight of jungle animals in their natural habitat and almost within reach at times, and the feel of a nearly constant ocean breeze that makes the humidity very negligible.

Every meal at the Lookout Inn was wonderful and special requests were always fulfilled. Fresh mahi-mahi, red snapper, fruits and salad right from the Osa were just a few of the items on the menu during my stay there. Everything was cooked perfectly and served with perfection. Gathering for each meal was something everyone seemed to look forward to as it was the perfect time to get to know the other guests and share stories. It was truly a group environment where everyone became a family of sorts.

Activities at the Lookout Inn and in the area are numerous… too many to list here, but I will mention the amazing waterfalls just within an hour’s hike, the stairway to heaven where a great view awaits, the magnificent Pacific ocean where a daily swim or beach walk is easily accessible, and of course, the famed Corcovado National Park where some of the world’s most beautiful creatures call home. The grounds of the Inn and local area are a photographer’s dream… I took over 500 photos and could’ve easily taken more.

In summary, the Lookout Inn is a special place that I recommend to anyone that wants to experience all of the best the Osa has to offer. The staff, accommodations, food, and activities are all first class. In my own personal experience, I can honestly say it felt like I was meant to be there… that I was drawn to the place for some purpose that I cannot yet determine. So, if you’re looking to “get away from it all” and lose yourself in a place where you can gain a different perspective, or if you just want to enjoy a wonderful time on the Osa, the Lookout Inn Lodge is the place to be.

• Liked — The tranquility
  • Disliked — That I could not stay longer
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2009

The Lookout Inn is fantastic! We went to the Lookout Inn over the Christmas holidays with our 11-year old daughter and 8 year-old son. We had some idea of what to expect from the website and friends who'd visited last year, but nothing prepared us for the beauty of this place. We spent 6 days (including Christmas) at the Lookout Inn. Terry and Katya are wonderful hosts who really make an effort to connect with everyone who stays there. There is so much to do and see here, or you can choose to read books in hammocks, walk the deserted beach and be humbled by the myriad of birds and animals everywhere. There are no TVs, radios or other distractions here, and my kids didn't seem to notice at all! We hiked to waterfalls, saw crocodiles and spoonbills at the lagoon, and had an amazing day with Erick, the guide, at Corcovado Park. We met wonderful people who will remain our friends, and will cherish the memories of our vacation in Osa (spent exclusively at the Lookout Inn). Katya and Terry have found paradise, and are generous enough to share it with those willing to go off the beaten path to get there.

• Liked — The staff,the location and the food!
  • Disliked — All meals are included, but there are no snacks available (even to buy) between lunch and dinner; a long stretch when you're active.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Luna Lodge
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Cabinas Jimenez
Cabinas Jimenez
#2 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Lookout Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!