“Stunning place to stay”
Review of La Leona Eco Lodge

La Leona Eco Lodge
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We only stayed at La Leona Lodge overnight as we were hiking to La Sirena but definitely want to go back for a longer stay.
It is one of the most stunning places we've visited. The elevated tented cabins are situated only meters from the ocean and all night long you can hear the crashing waves from your room.

While it's an incredibly romantic spot, the single beds don't allow for much romance and one needs to be prepared with flashlights since there is no electricity. It's certainly not for the person who wants to be pampered but we found it to be a wonderful little haven after walking along the beach from Carate to begin the hike.

If you stay here, do not go into the ocean as the waves are large and the riptides incredibly powerful.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 April 2009

The location is right beside Corcovado Park, making treks into the forest so easy and provides guests with ample opportunity for wildlife spotting. The view from our tent was all ocean, and we loved falling asleep to waves every night. The staff, especially Margoth, was always smiling and accommodating. My only complaint is that when it came to meals, the kitchen staff did not seem to communicate to one another re: my food allergies, and I had several people bringing me things I could not eat that I had to send back each time. We were told that being allergic to gluten and dairy would not be a problem and ultimately it wasn't...but I hated having to turn away plate after plate at each meal. This is a very specific complaint, and ultimately did not effect my experience at this wonderful gem of a place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2009

My wife and I spent 4 nights at La Leona Lodge. We had a front row with bath tent, totally worth the extra. We saw numerous macaws from as close as 3 meters, monkeys, dolphins. We relocated a hawcksbill turtle nest to near the ranger station with Adrianand Carlos. Also we enjoyed doing nothing for hours on. The food is great and plentiful, the staff very attentionate. If you're hiking to Sirena from Leona, this is the place to stay. All ssunsets are more beautyfull than the previous

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at La Leona Lodge Tent Camp in February 2009 and we have nothing but great things to say about our stay there.

SERVICE: The service was top-notch. The staff are very friendly. They will accomodate your meal preferences if there is anything you can't eat (fish, etc). They have a safe to keep your valuables for you if you wish. They will set up tours into Corcovado National Park, and our guide was very knowledgable and friendly.

ROOM: The tent was extremely comfortable. I would highly recommend getting the beach front (front row) cabin with the private, open-air bathroom. The accommodations were great, and the view was stunning. The sound of the waves was very relaxing.

LOCATION: Any of the places you'll stay near Corcovado National Park will be difficult to get to. Part of the allure of the area is how remote it is. Our stay was definitely worth the trip to get there. If you are driving, the section of the road from Puerto Jimenez to Carate can be about an hour or two and the dirt roads are steep. 4 wheel drive is needed. From Carate you will walk for 30 minutes on the beach to get to the tent camp, so travel light or plan your arrival and departure with the horse cart to shuttle your luggage.

AMENITIES: There are hammocks and lounge chairs provided along the beach, and the tents have very comfortable porches and chairs for sitting and enjoying the view. Towels and sheets are provided. Free beverages are available all day long: Juice, Water, Coffee, Tea. You can purchase Cokes, Beer or Wine by the can/glass. They have a selection of board games and card games and a book exchange. They also have laminated guide sheets that identify wildflife that you might see in the area. La Leona has a private reserve and their own trails that you can hike/explore.

FOOD: Get the three meals a day plan. There really isn't any other place to get food. The meals were fantastic - some of the best we had on our 10 day trip in Costa Rica. Delicious, and definitely worth the price. They serve meals community-style in one main building there. They make the same meal for everyone (it is not a menu) but can make changes if there is something you can't eat. The food was absolutely delicious and the portions generous!

NOTES: I would recommend timing your arrival with the horse cart that transports luggage to and from Carate and the Lodge. I would also recommend traveling light. Bring flashlights, as there is no electricity in the tents. The staff light candles in the tents and along the paths when the sun goes down, and the candles usually last until after dinner. Get the 3 meals per day plan. I would recommend paying extra to get the beach front, private bathroom tents. We had a great experience.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TtexTU
Reviewed 5 January 2009

This place is so beautiful! I loved loved sleeping on the beach in such a remote location. You really get lost here. The sunsets are just breathtaking...and the stars- wow.

The food was really great- we had one fish dinner that was probably one of my top dinners the whole trip.

We were a bit disappointed that we couldn't get more into the park. The path that they take you on for the full day hike is literally just along the ocean, so there is no chance to really get into the park. You have to hike all the way to Sierna station to really see the interior of the park - I wished we had done that instead. Although it was nice to stay in the lap of luxury at La Leona! The tent cabins are enclosed, with private bathrooms- which was a real treat.

If you're staying here, make sure you plan your walk there for either the morning or the evening. Getting to La Leona involves a 45 min walk along the beach...in the hot sun. If you call them ahead of time, or you get there with a scheduled drop, they will send a horse that will take your bags. I highly recommend doing that- it's a very long and hot walk...don't do it mid day.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Walter and Adrian Morales, the owners of the place, were incredible hosts. They treated us like royalty, they helped us find a great guide over there (his name is Neyer, thanks to him we saw many animals we wouldn't have noticed by ourselves, you can contact him at [--]). The lodge is beautiful, clean, close to the sea, the service is great and the food too. While your there, you might even get to see the tapir INSIDE the dining room looking for bananas!!! Located a few yards from Corcovado tent camp, an american-owned facility, this place is actually runed by local Ticos and is much less expensive than their neighboors and yet they offer the same services.We had a great time there and we recomand this place to everyone who loves nature.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank durocherlise
Reviewed 2 June 2007

Overall positive experience at La Leona Ecolodge with some minor disappointments.

If you want to get off the beaten path, away from tourists, away from PEOPLE! and enjoy unspoiled nature, this is the place for you.

When flying from SJO to PJ, take into account that it will take at least 2 -1/2 hours to get to La Leona from PJ. There is a group van to Carate once a day, but we arrived late, and so we paid for an individual driver (about $60 u.s., arranged in PJ). We had to wait for a 2nd plane with one of our backpacks, so we did not leave P.J. until about 4, arriving Carate around 6, then walking the beach in the dark. This was mostly ok, but we did not have our flashlights unpacked, so we walked by moonlight . A guide with a horse and cart met us at Carate to help with bags. (Staff and driver have two-way radio.)

The lodge is solar-powered except for a generator for the freezer. Paths are lit by candlelight each night. Everything is recycled. There is plumbing. The tents were very comfortable, but it was 40 C (100 F) in April, so we were REALLY hot. We had a private bath, which was nice, but still had to wear shoes due to ants and lizards. The shared baths were not bad at all, but I wouldn't want to go out there at night.

Due to it being off season (April 12) there were no guides or kayaking as we had hoped. I was told I was supposed to have arranged that before leaving P.J.

The heat was so oppressive I was seriously concerned about heat exhaustion in myself or my 12 year old son. Tried to hike in Corvocado National Park (bring exact change for entrance fee), but it was too hot. Spent the rest of the day in the small aboveground pool. Saw macaws, monkeys, coati, plenty of spiders and lizards and crabs.

Not much for kids to do--my son was intimidated by the wildlife, afraid of the mountain crabs that populated the beach, so he mainly hung around camp. Camp Owner Adrian was extremely kind to try to befriend my son and encourage him to explore a little more. He took us on a brief night hike on the beach to see phosphorescent plankton and shrimp. Oh, the stars!!! You definitely had the sense that you were off the beaten track and seeing untouched parts of C.R.

I would recommend more books and a few more board games--maybe in different languages--most were in German. Maps of C.R. and Corvocado National Park would be nice. There are about 50 hammocks at this lodge, two for every guest I'd say. I enjoyed swinging in the shade and reading a paperback I found at the lodge.

Guests were ecclectic-photographers from Italy, family with infant from Germany, school teachers from Rhode Island, journalist from Costa Rica.

The food was excellent- cash bar. Water is fresh mountain water, it tasted fine, but I developed symptoms for the first time even after 3 weeks in Costa Rica. Hard to say if it was the water or the heat.

The highlight of the trip was renting a horse and riding the beach at sunset. Totally alone, breathtaking views.

11  Thank Heather M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Luna Lodge
#3 of 43 in Osa Peninsula
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to La Leona Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!