“Remote, sophistication in the jungle”

Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Remote, sophistication in the jungle”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Did the three day package which included full board, half day trip to Cano Island and private beach, full day hike and morning bird watching. We stayed at 7 places during our 15 day trip in Costa Rica and this was overall one of our two favourite places.

If its possible to squeeze it into your itinerary and budget I would recommend staying 4 nights here - as three nights is, in effect just 2 days, given the time to travel there, and both of those are filled with organised trips - would have been nice to have a relaxing day doing our own things exploring the surroundings more.

The positives - high quality food, experienced and helpful guides Marlon who was great), lovely sunset cocktails (reasonably priced drinks), beautiful and private cabanas with 4-posters, hammocks and private gardens, very comfortable beds, good wildlife viewing (including Red Macaws and surfing crocodiles), remote and peaceful, very near to the National forest, free wifi (in some areas).

The negatives (none of these are deterants!) - the long trip getting there including a bumpy 2 hour transfer in a small boat, uninventive food for vegetarians (basically rice with beans or pasta with veg sauce), occasionally unclear or poor information, very low water pressure in the eco shower, tap water that makes your clothes smelly even when washed by hand with eco detergent.

The lodge does attract a mix of guests - older, younger, couples and families - but this works well as there are two pools (an adult only one in the rainforest) and groups for the trips are well thought out to ensure comparative abilities/interests.

For the rainforest hike into the National forest, you can do a half day ending at the ranger station or an extended full day hike (8am - 4.30am with a stop for lunch and a swim) including a swim in a waterfall and then upwards back to the lodge - medium/hard but doable for anyone of reasonable fitness and well worth it.

Overall a great experience that we would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had room 3 which was smaller with an outdoor shower and indoor hammock. Most had outdoor hammocks...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank gerbilsontour
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
I'm glad that overall these guests had a good stay with us at Casa Corcovado. We are looking into the problems we have been having with water pressure and hot water. The low flow shower heads and gas heaters we use are made for normal systems that have more water pressure, we are adjusting them to work with our unique situation. Steven Lill / owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Prior to visiting Casa Corcovado I took the time and read all the other Trip Advisor reviews. My expectations were high because of the number of very positive reviews. My partner and I were especially interested in exploring everything the rainforest and the coast has to offer at a leisurely pace so we booked a full week, the ultimate jungle safari. I can start by saying our expectations were consistently met and in many cases our expectations were exceeded.

The trip from San Jose to Casa Corcovado was flawless. The transfers were on schedule and highly organized. As others have said, the adventure starts immediately with the boat ride from Sierpe. We stopped to see the crocodiles, heron and other animals. The ride on the sea was refreshing after a long trip from NewYork.

At Casa Corcovado we found a real oasis in the jungle. The garden is beautiful. The bungalows are charming and very spacious. Other reviews speak of the friendliness of the staff. I will add that they are kind, caring, sincere with a refreshing sense of humor. We really felt that we were being taken care off at all times. The food was excellent considering everything must be brought to the lodge by boat as there are no roads.

The extended property is beautiful and must be explored. There are well marked trails where we saw many monkeys, a sloth and all the beautiful plant life that a primary rainforest has to offer. The beach is extraordinary. It is vast and private. Most of the time we were at the beach we had it entirely to ourselves.

The excursions were amazing. This is not only because of the sights but because of the knowledgeable guides. We learned so much. We did the San Pedrillo, Cano Island, Sirena Ranger Station and kayaking excursions. Everyday was exciting with new appreciations. I also highly recommend a full day without a planned excursion so that the property and beach can be fully enjoyed at a relaxing pace.

Costa Rica is a beautiful country and most visitors choose multiple short stops in various locations. Casa Corcovado is a great place to spend a bit more time. There is so much to see and do and the perfect location to take a day to relax with no plan.

Visitors should keep in mind that it is a rainforest and a jungle. It is the place to go if you are adventurous and interested in biodiversity. If this is you, then I say Casa Corcovado is a must.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Ron P
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
I do think that people that stay for an extra day are many times more relaxed when they leave. I think that to have an extra day to explore the gardins and grounds and especially the beach is very rewarding. To have almost a kilometer of coastline to explore with a half kilometer long beach all to yourself is not something that is easily found in todays world. Many times you can have interesting sightings on the beach and feel like a true explorer. Steven Lill / owner
North Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We started planning this trip 5 years ago, after we left Costa Rica after a stay near Puerto Jiminez in the southern Osa Peninsula. We debated 3 different ecolodges in the Drake Bay area before choosing Casa Corcovado, mainly due to it's proximity to Corcovado National Park and it's "remoteness" from the other lodges. This trip was for our 30th wedding anniversary and we had high expectations from previous reviews and the website. Not only were those expectations met, they were exceeded!!
Because our flight from San Jose was leaving a little later in the day, we arrived by flying into Drake Bay airstrip rather than Palmar Sur. We felt like adventurers, landing on the dirt airstrip and pulling up by the tin roofed "airport" with one guy in an orange vest standing by with his orange safety cone and lone fire extinguisher. This after a flight over the breathtaking scenery of the mountains and along the Pacific coast, picking out the Sierpe River mouth. We loaded up in the Range Rover for the trip down the potholed and muddy road into Drake Bay, through rivers and over bridges(?), down into the town which looked like the set of an Indiana Jones movie. There, we parked and walked down the beach to wade in the shallow water to board our boat, which would take us the rest of the way down the Pacific coast. The 30 minute ride viewing the magnificent Osa coastline made me feel like I was a contestant on Survivor!! On arrival, we were impressed with the skill of our boat captain. We are boaters, so appreciated the precision it took to maneuver the boat through the rock channel to the wet landing point, where we again waded from the boat to the beach. What a sight greeted us!! We loaded up on the trailer attached to the tractor to make the climb up the road to the lodge; looking behind, we had the beach with the Pacific Ocean, Cano Island, and the greenly sloping jungle down to the beach. On either side and to the front, the road uphill with lush jungle vegetation on all sides. We looked at each other and said "Oh, yeah!! We made the right choice!!"
We were blown away by the vision of the man who built this paradise in the jungle and is willing to share it with people like us. And, very thankful!!
The staff is beyond accommodating; Alejandro and Rudy, the waiters, always wanting to please; the tractor drivers like Wilbur and boat captains polite and smiling; the guides extremely knowledgeable and always looking for the chance to share their love and passion for nature with the guests. Steve, the manager, is determined to ensure guests have the best possible experience and it shows. Dinner is at 7 pm and the food was very good using fresh ingredients for preparation. It is even more impressive when you realize much of it has to be ferried in every day by boat from Sierpe. We especially enjoyed sharing our table with some of the people we met during the 6 nights we were there.
We had arranged for 2 days of sport fishing; they used a captain out of Drake Bay named Daydee and his mate, Dana. The captain was very responsive to fishing for what WE wanted and we were quite successful both days. We were able to share our catches with others staying at the lodge, as the chef arranged to cook the fish for dinner in place of another entree. It was prepared perfectly!! Daydee also managed to spot a humpback whale and her calf, even though it was not the right time of year for them. He allowed me on the T top deck to better see them and followed them for a ways so we could watch them surface several times.
The snorkeling trip to Cano Island was excellent, visibility about 20 feet, lots of tropical fish. We did the San Pedrillo hike and saw lots of wildlife with our guide, Gabriel. However, an observant person can walk the grounds at Casa Corcovada, especially down at the beach and by the Sunset Bar and see quite a bit. On the grounds we saw coati, agouti, toucans, scarlet macaws, capybara, red-lored parrots. No, you are not going to be inundated with wildlife every day you are there. They do not believe in feeding the animals as some lodges in Costa Rica do to attract the wildlife closer to their guests. One of the things that impressed us was how they practiced what they preached about sustainable tourism.
Which brings me to some cautions. This place is not for everyone. There is no air conditioning, but they do have excellent ceiling fans. The humidity is high and the temperatures average the mid to high 80's during the day, so it can be hot and sticky. It is, after all, the jungle in the tropics. At night, it cools off and is very comfortable for sleeping. The lodge has a combo of hydroelectric and solar power. Water is conserved, so showers have low pressure and the term "hot" really cannot be applied. I was very comfortable with my tepid showers and they did not bother me - actually felt refreshing - but not everyone feels that way. They have a "no blow dryer" policy - and really, if you think you need to blow dry your hair in the middle of the rain forest, maybe you want to rethink your vacation idea. We initially thought that the bed felt harder than we were accustomed to having. After 5 minutes, we realized they were very comfortable and I have to admit that we slept like babies and my back felt better than it had in years!! You may think you need to be in great physical shape for this adventure, but that is not exactly the case. One of the guests we befriended was a lovely "young" woman of 73 who snorkeled, kayaked, and hiked the rain forest!!
Tips and pointers - if you plan on hiking, use the rubber boots provided. Bring long socks to wear with them, they will chap your legs otherwise (they do sell long socks in the office). Take cotton or quick drying clothes if you plan on washing and reusing. They have clotheslines in the backs of the units, but it will take your clothes at least 36 hours to dry. They do offer laundry service, but in keeping with their philosophy. everything is line-dried, which takes longer. They supply flashlights for all guests, but we brought a "super light" that really showed things much more distinctly. Bring a waterproof pack for hiking if you want to bring water, camera, etc. Wet bags are provided for the snorkeling trips.
So, this is an amazing place where the nature lover can awaken to the call of the howler monkeys and parrots flying overhead; where you have fresh fruit and homemade bread for meals; where you can laze in a hammock on the beach while the scarlet macaws eat almonds from the trees overhead; where you can hike through one of the last primary rain forest jungles in Central America and cool off and get a "waterfall" massage while swimming in a pool along the way; where you can look up into the trees to watch the monkeys forage; where you can watch the sky change colors at sunset while sipping a margarita on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean while the parrots fly overhead going home to roost. I really did not want to leave. Nirvana!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank flapenny
It is a real compliment that this couple selected Casa Corcovado for an important occasion such as their 30th wedding aniversary. I am very pleased that they found a little bit of paradice to make such a special event even more special. Many years ago I realized that I had an obligation to share my little piece of paradice with the world to increase awareness of the importance of protecting the rainforest and to make of my guests true ambassadors to speak for the need to save this incredible natural heritage for future generations. Steven Lill / owner
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The lodge is location at the edge of Corcovado National Park, and the access is by boat. From the pick-up and return at Sierpe, I learned so much about the wildlife, the vegetation, the way to run an eco-lodge in a remote area. The lodge had all modern facilities, my cabin was absolutely fantastic, the surroundings, the hammocks by the beach, the birds, the spider monkeys, the toucans, the dolphins... and the guides - it was all worth the money and more! Thank you so much Marlo, Steven and the team! The only thing I missed, was the tapir...should have included a visit to ranger station Sirena!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tone T
I do think we have a great team at Casa Corcovado. I think everyone from Steven, the manager, on down is commited to providing the best possible experience for our guests. I am also happy when I hear that our clients feel that they have learned alot about the rainforest, I feel that when they have glimpsed the beautiful complexity of such a magical place they will be strong advocates for the protection of the rainforest. I do feel that we have a responsabilty to educate as well as entertain our guests. Steven Lill / owner
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed 3 nights in a tastefully decorated bungalow. Food was very good but may become a little repetitive if a longer stay is planned. We did the jungle walk with Freddie who was an excellent guide and very knowledgable on the local wildlife. Even though we were the only English speakers in a group of 8 he took the time to explain in detail everything there was to see in the Corcovado national park. The picnic was delicious. In general mealtimes were set; dinner was at 7pm and we were always told in advance when we should arrive for breakfast. One day we were told we would be doing the trip to Cano Island which included snorkelling - as my husband can't swim we were less than keen. We stayed behind and had the hotel to ourselves as everyone else went on a trip or checked out. The hotel cooked lunch for us at a time which was convenient to us. We did walk both if the trails. On the rainforest trail we saw Spider monkeys and heard Howler monkeys. We thought we would end up leaving without seeing Cappucins but spotted these on our last day down by the Sunset viewing spot. We also saw Coatis as we walked along the beach and we were advised that dusk is a good time to see Wildlife from this point if the property. Our trip was perhaps only tainted by our high expectations that we would see wildlife around every corner and since many reviews on tiripadvisor give the impression that wildlife is so abundant in this part of Costa Rica that a monkey may run off with your sunglasses if your not looking I thought it was important to correct this perception. We stayed in Costa Rica for 12 days and nearly didn't see Cappucins at all (and it wasn't for won't of trying)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Claire O
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
I always hope that my guests see lots of wildlife but that is obviously very hard to predict, I love it when we see something exciting like last year we had many Puma encounters and I remember one pic-nic lunch at our beach when a Tapir almost sat at the table with us, to have a salad, I imagine. I also love it when we see lesser known creatures like, Tayras, Grison, big groups of Great Currasow and Tinamou. There is always something interesting to see, great but many times small, such is life in the rainforest. Steven Lill / owner
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 December 2013

From beginning to end, our Casa Corcovado experience was amazing. Freddy met us at the airstrip and escorted us along with four others to the boat waiting to take us to paradise. The boat ride down the Sierpe River and along the coast was itself marvelous, with several species of wildlife spotted (they brought us alongside for pictures) and a beautiful ride through mangroves and along the rocky jungle coast. The arrival at the beach landing confirmed to us all that this was going to be incredible. All the new guests could sense it.

Lunch was excellent - salad, salmon with cream sauce, and local side dishes). All of the food was very good and made from fresh, including fine dining and local dishes with traditional ingredients. We thoroughly enjoyed going to dinner with everyone else at the dinner bell. We had our own well-appointed table but people could share their experiences in the restaurant and good feelings infused the room; we got to know some great people during the stay. The guides would come along to each table and explain their activities/tours for the next day. .

Freddy guided us on the rainforest and snorkeling tour (more later) and possessed excellent knowledge on the rainforest and snorkeling tours (more later) as well as impeccable character. Everyone at the lodge was great and seemed more like friends than staff. The manager Steve was very friendly and professional; word is, he intends to set up some permaculture and garden plots nearby, which would be a pioneering effort in that area to grow some of their own food.

The bungalow was awesome, with the perfect blend of rustic and artistic, set in a private location surrounded by tropical landscaping. Loved the screened in setting and the temperature was perfect for sleeping at night. Woke up to howler monkeys every morning and a musical orchestra from the tropical birds.

If you want the ultimate rainforest hike, do the Serena Ranger Station hike. The boat ride at 7:00 am literally took my breath away as we rounded the first point and viewed the majestic rocky jungle coast with morning mist still clinging. Flocks of brown boobies glided, wheeled, and dove about. We viewed dolphins and a sea turtle and visited a waterfall for pictures, then a fascinating rocky cove. The hike itself was incredible, with no less than 20 species of birds and mammals spotted (many were photographed) including a tapir, toucans, and 3 species of monkey. Being a biologist, the Corcovado National Park was incredible to me. Giant trees, epiphytic and ground-dwelling bromeliads, flowering hibiscus, tiny orchids, huge lianas, and magnificent clear streams...with the sounds of healthy and diverse fauna habitat...made for an overwhelming experience.

The snorkeling trip was great. Another bit of praise here for the very skilled boat drivers. On the ride to Cano Island we saw several spotted dolphins and sea birds. Beautiful clear water was teeming with colorful fish; we even saw a sea turtle. We got to rest and explore the beautiful beach of Cano Island after snorkeling, then returned to the lodge where a buffet lunch was awaiting us on their private beach. Oh, almost forgot...3 scarlet macaws landed in some nut-bearing trees that grow along the coast in that region and proceeded to forage in the branches and eat nuts right in front of us. Amazing!

We spent our final afternoon at the magnificent private beach. Even the walk to the beach is gorgeous and exhilarating. Even with beach chairs and hammocks tucked among the palms, the place seemed like a wilderness paradise. A waterfall splashes down the hillside about 100 yards from shore and meanders down the beach and into the ocean, scouring sand into picturesque mini bluffs with rounded rocks exposed. The sunset was unforgettable.

We were sad to go. Next time we'll stay longer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J P
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
I'm glad that these guests had an amazing time with us at Casa Corcovado. I have to say this is a pretty amazing review. I like the fact that they made new friends and really enjoyed the beach, which is probably my favorite place in the world. Thank you for such nice comments. Steven Lill / owner
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is our second trip to Casa Corcovado. We were there in 2010 and returned the first week of December. The hotel not only lived up to our wonderful memories but exceeded them and my husband and I are already trying to figure out when we can go back again.
This time we took my mother to celebrate her 65th birthday. She sometimes has some issues walking and we found everyone very accommodating and helpful to make sure that she had just as wonderful of an experience as everyone else.
We stayed for 6 nights (I would have stayed for weeks if I could). We toured the national park, Cano island, went horseback riding on San Josecito beach, went to Sirena ranger station and had a day just to enjoy the hotel grounds and beach.
We are major wildlife lovers and saw so much while we were there. On the grounds alone we saw coati, scarlet macaws, howler monkeys, sloths, capuchin monkeys, toucans, and numerous frogs, birds and butterflies. On our day off (which was one of the best days) my mother was relaxing in a hammock on the beach and 4 scarlet macaws landed in the tree above her to eat almonds. It is probably one of the best experiences of her life.
While we did a lot when we were here in 2010, this was the first time my husband and I went to Sirena. I highly recommend it. We saw an anteater which I had never seen before, spider monkeys, squirrel monkeys, capuchin monkeys, howler monkeys, tiger heron, trogon, iguana, blue heron, hummingbirds, coati, etc. etc. etc. We will definitely be back and I think we will even camp there a night or two so I can see my elusive tapir.
The staff is wonderful. Leo was our guide for most of the trip. He was very conscious of my mother needing a slower speed and offered a helping hand for getting in and out of the boat, etc. He was extremely flexible to take us on a last minute night hike, morning bird watch, etc. He even gave us good tips for finding the wildlife on our own when he was not around. Jacob was our guide to Sirena. He was very nice also and worked very hard to make sure he found us as much wildlife as possible. Rudy, Jose and Alejandro were our food/ drink staff and they always had a big smile. Alfonso is the manager and although you can tell he takes his job very seriously, he is equally funny, charming and so very welcoming. He told me several times to think of the resort as my home.
The grounds are amazing. The beach is beautiful. The rooms are lovely. The pools are great. Everything was clean and inviting.
I want to note some improvements from our last trip. They have remodeled the shower in the bungalow and it is definitely very beautiful. I love the view of outside. The food was good before but even better this time. We did not have a bad meal/ course. I had the best mahi mahi of my life for lunch after our San Josecito trip.
We love to travel and rarely go to the same place twice but are definitely already talking about when we can get back to Casa Corcovado and what we want to do when we get there. It truly is a paradise for those passionate about nature and wildlife.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Naturetravelers
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
It is always a big compliment when we have return guests.There are so many great places in the World to travel that we are very pleased when we see ''old friends'' return to Casa Corcovado. I'm glad that these clients liked the changes that we have made and brought thier Mother with them so she could enjoy the experience also. It was nice to have a chance to sit down and have a talk with them and I hope to see them on thier next trip. Steven Lill/owwner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corcovado National Park
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!