“Study Abroad trip to Costa Rica”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corcovado National Park
Campanario Biological Station
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed here with seven fellow students about two weeks ago. It was pure Heaven. Helping out and getting to know the people and surrounding rain forest was unforgettable. I hope to return someday to this truly magical place. I had the best time of my life here.

Room Tip: Every room was amazing!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karina S

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We are a family of 7 from california. Mom and Dad plus kids are ages 6 through 19. we were there for 6 days after christmas 2013. It exceeded all expectations. Lots of hiking and swimming in ocean. saw monkeys, sloths, caught bats, expored tide pools, and had a great time interacting with other families over wonderful Costa Rican traditional meals. Leslie Harley ( programs@campanario.org CR Tel: +506 - 2289 - 8694) was extraordinarliy helpful in getting us transportation to and from there and otherwise helpful on even other parts of our trip. We'd go again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lance_W_1232530
Reviewed 27 January 2014

If you want an authentic Costa Rican experience there is no better spot to stay. Campanario is a true gem and one of the most amazing places I've been. Nancy, the owner is a wealth of knowledge. The location is remote and beautiful. When you go, stay as long as you can. You will never want to leave.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I am a single mom with twin 12 year old girls and we had the most amazing experience. Words cannot describe the beauty of the surroundings. Everywhere you look there is beauty; it is overwhelming (but in a very good way)! The life style is simple and it may take a day to adjust, but it is fabulous to live simply. The guides, Freiner and Danny were amazing! They were so kind, available, and great educators as well. Costa Rican wildlife was literally everywhere, and we became great friends with the other families there. Nancy ( the owner) had so much knowledge to share! They were always there to answer questions and provide us with amazing new experiences! We learned so much and had a great time learning. We hiked almost everyday and each hike was a new experience. We can't wait to go back...it was so hard to leave!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My wife and I were looking for a true rainforest experience. We didn't want or need luxury. No electricity, no hot showers, no TV, no Wifi in the middle of the jungle only reachable by boat and less than an hour walk to Corcovado.....Yes Please! This place is a remote research station frequently used as a destination for high school and college students but it is also so much more. Campanario also takes tourists and gives them an amazing understanding and appreciation for the rain forest. For the first of three nights we were the only two visitors. Nancy the director arrived with us by boat and we had her as a personal rainforest guide and educator for the duration of our stay. The bird watching is amazing from the private cabins on the hill above the main building. Our cabin and others have ocean views. Each cabin has a private outdoor bathroom (see picture) There is a hammock cabana and tables close to the cabins when you are not exploring the rainforest. The day hike to Corcovado was amazing. Our guide Frener was a great guy with obvious enthusiasm for the rainforest. He helped to spot too much wildlife to list. Nancy kept us as busy as we wanted to be. On two occasions we helped her catch and monitor bats that stream out of a cave nearby. I can't imagine doing this anywhere else, it was amazing!

Room Tip: Cabin 5 on top of the hill has the best ocean view, though all are great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ksmud
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My stay at Proyecto Campanario was only three nights but the experience I had and the amount of amazing wildlife that I witnessed was amazing! Soon after landing on the beach I witnessed Spider Monkeys jumping through the trees. Up the hill where the cabins are located is a beautiful view of the ocean and an amazing spot for birding. The number and variety of birds was spectacular. Resident Naturalist Arnulfo has an amazing ability to spot and identify birds and wildlife. His knowledge of the forests flora and fauna is excellent, and he's a heck of a nice guy too!
The day long hike through Corcovado was filled with spectacular sights and more amazing wildlife. Scarlet Macaws, Trogons, a Sloth, a Tamandua, Capuchin Monkeys, Crocodiles and many more birds. Walking through the forest and witnessing it's beauty, diversity and it's ancient massive trees was something to behold!
After a long days hike, Imagine sitting in your bed at night, looking out over the moon lit ocean with a sky full of the brightest stars you've ever seen. Listening to the sounds of the forest with waves crashing on the beach far below. Nirvana!
I highly recommend staying at Proyecto Campanario. It's where you can have your own experience of a lifetime, like I did!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Proyecto Campanario is a unique place. My family and I stayed there for six nights in February and it was truly the experience of a lifetime. We have two kids (10 and 6 years old) and they got so much out of it. My son (the ten year old) loved learning about the monkeys, sloths, bats, birds, snakes and other animals he saw along our many hikes. My daughter (the 6 year old) was transfixed by all the small things going on close to the ground: leaf-cutter ants, hermit crabs, mammoth beetles, etc. Our guides -Nancy, Arnulfo and Mario- were superb!

Every day was jam-packed with sensory and educational overload. From climbing into hallow trees in search of bats, to swimming under waterfalls, snorkeling among the reefs by Cano Island, and investigating the jungle at night, we felt that we were packing weeks of fun into each day.

The staff is wonderful and engaging. They are knowledgeable about the natural resources of the Osa Peninsula, and are great teachers. The food is excellent: each meal generally consists of rice and beans, a little meat, a delicious salad and lots of fresh tropical fruit. Very refreshing and healthy. As others have mentioned, I think I may have gained a little weight from all the great food, in spite of the vigorous hikes in the hot and humid rainforest.

The cabins are clean but simple. They have screened-in porches that overlook the ocean. Every morning I'd wake up and think to myself, I can't believe I'm here... paradise! THere's a starfruit tree in the front yard with delicious fruit ripe for the picking. Next door is the "siesta shelter"... a thatched roof hut with several hammocks.

Our family highly recommends Campanario. You won't regret the decision that you made to get to this out-of-the-way place. If you're looking for a vacation full of lounging by a pool and drinking margaritas, this is not where you want to end up. If you're looking for a real adventure, with experiences that will last a life-time, then Campanario is right for you!

Room Tip: Make sure to wear sandals in the bathrooms at night.... the fire ants can pack quite a punch to uns...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 6 in Carate
Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
Hotel Las Caletas Lodge
#2 of 49 in Drake Bay

Been to Campanario Biological Station? Share your experiences!