“Eh...”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
New York City, New York
“Eh...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Pros: Marie's cooking is amazing! Paul is a love!!! Great energy, can-do attitude, jack of all trades, gives great yoga adjustments! Beds are comfortable. Rooms are clean.

Cons: I had half a hot shower the entire 7 days we were there. Aaron made no apologies for this being an ecological resort. The hotel is located 45 min from the airport so it takes a good while to get here. The beach is rocky and the wave breaks are extremely short.

Overall: Eh...we went on a yoga retreat with a NY studio so our average room costs were that of a 4-5 star hotel in a major city. If we paid $100/night I wouldn't have cared so much but for the price we paid I expected at least a hot shower each day.

7 Thank KAJ K
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Thank you for your review and coming to Blue Osa.

The journey to Blue Osa from the airport is a dirt road. We are 11 km from the airport and typically a 20 - 30 minute drive. Upon arrival in Puerto Jimenez, our shuttle drivers will give our guests a tour of Puerto Jimenez, and stop along the way to show some wildlife of Costa Rica. (Birds, cats, caymans, pizotes, any eaters, etc)

I do agree that your stay with us was overpriced. Your group leader gave about a 400% mark up from what we charged, and did not let anyone in your group know you were coming to an eco resort that was in the jungle.

Our beach, like any beach is in constant change. Our beach (and beaches in the area) is widely sought out by many surfers and at times there are no waves, and at others, waves can be very high. Typically the beginning of December brings some wonderful surge. The beach is also in constant change and the tides are what made it so spectacular. One of the magical things about being on the Osa is to see the power of nature and creation performing for you daily in such drastic ways.

I wish you better luck on your yogic journey.

Blessings,
Aaron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I went with one of the teachers from my yoga studio to Blue Osa. I figured it would be an adventure and not a luxury spa vacation, and I was right. Our teacher turned our trip into a magical experience which I will treasure for the rest of my life. I will say that the lack of hot water, or consistent water for that matter was really disappointing, and Aaron's reactions to some of the complaints from our group was uncaring and unkind. Paul and Marie were amazing, as were the rest of the Blue Osa staff...wish there had more vegetarian friendly foods, but again, my trip was magic thanks to Marco.

2 Thank terrie k
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, 8 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make your review.

Your retreat was booked through your group leaders, who in turn was responsible for many things such as meal planning suggestions, giving students information on where they are coming and what to expect, etc. We would have been thrilled to offer more vegetarian food, but no one asked. I also believe some of your feelings were ballooned by the price your group paid to come, which was almost a 400% mark-up.

I am sorry the hot water was a big issue for the week you were at Blue Osa. When we were made aware of the problems, we did our best to address them and I personally went to each room to insure that hot water was provide for. Our hot water system often works without any problems, but can be temperamental at times. While we are looking at ways to improve our system and provide consistent hot water, in our room booklets, we ask all of our we ask all of our clients to be patient as we work to solve these problems.

"The challenges of building in the jungle, on the beach, and in a remote part of a foreign country cannot be overestimated... But in thinking about our experience here at Blue Osa, this has become a very good paradigm for all aspects of our life and symbolizes for us what is so important. Open that door, go into your heart, see the potential that is there, and allow yourself the freedom to look for it.

And while we have freed ourselves in building Blue Osa, we also feel the constraints of living in the jungle. It is hard to get equipment locally and keep it operating 100% all the time, so if a ceiling fan is not working or there is an interruption in the electricity or water, please be patient. We are dealing with the realities of living off the grid. If the pool for some reason turns green, please be patient. We are learning jungle chemistry. If it is blazing hot or raining madly for days, please be patient. We are living peacefully in nature."

Be well,
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, Costa Rica is a little piece of paradise and my trip this year will live in my heart forever. I fell in love with the place the moment we arrived and were greated with warmth and smiles as if we were old friends being welcomed back home. Aaron, our wonderful host is so welcoming and you can tell he takes great pride in ensuring that every moment of your stay is a happy one. He takes care to ask each indviduals personal needs or wants whether it is from spa treatments to excursions and makes sure that everyone is taken care of. The manager Michael is equally accomodating, and always greeting you with a smile and asking how your day is. And then there is Paul, the bartender, but not just a bartender, he's like an old friend the minute you meet him. He has this amazing shiny personality and smile that welcome you and make you laugh. The staff are like a family at Blue Osa who mindfully take great care of you, making you feel like you are part of the family too...it's not often you find this type of service on vacation!
The grounds are beautiful and beautifully kept with care. The beach is spectacular and the view from the yoga deck is incredible. Practicing twice a day to the soundtrack of the jungle and ocean waves is enchanting and inspiring.
I also love the fact that this was an eco lodge that is solar powered...it helped me connect to a deep appreciation of our surroundings and I have brought home that same awareness, being more mindful of waste and conserving water and energy wherever I can.
The spa is also amazing. I think I had the best massage EVER from Jesus and I while I did not get a treatment from Marcella, a number of ladies in the group I was with did, and they were raving about her facials! I did have a facial with Aaron which was beyond words. He took great care and it was like a beautiful ritual that left me feeling so relaxed and amazed that my skin could look and feel so great. I would highly recommend at least one treatment at the spa...it is a huge treat!
And then there is the food. There is so much to say about the food. It is simply beautiful. Mindfully prepared by the lovely Marie, she takes care to prepare the meals with love and positive intention. She was so sweet to ask every individual their dietary needs and always ensured there was a vegetarian (or many) option available. Every dish was delicious and I love the fact that most of the fruits and veggies are grown right on the property. Marie's cooking actually inspired me to write about it on our yoga studio website. Eating beautiful food in a beautiful place with amazing people was so nourishing...it was simply perfect!
I couldn't have asked for more from my trip to Blue Osa. I feel extremely grateful for the incredible experience and I can't wait to go back! Thank you to everyone at Blue Osa for an amazing week, you are awesome!

Room Tip: Rooms below the yoga deck have an amazing view of the ocean, but I could see the sunrise over the wa...
4 Thank Adrienne K
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay. You and the group you were with from Canada were such a treat and delight to have at the beginning of December. All of our staff really enjoyed being of service to you and we are really excited to have you guys come back in Jan 2013.

Many blessings
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

It is amazing to me that the reviews of this "resort" are overwhelmingly positive. I can only assume I visited Blue Osa on an off week.
In the hospitality business one of the first and most difficult lessons to learn is that the customer is always right. In the Yoga community benevolence is a trait we strive for. Unfortunately the host at Blue Osa has not yet learned to set aside his ego nor has he learned to cater to the needs of his guests.
I arrived at the property along with others on a Yoga retreat and recieved a brief tour. I was not warned of the lack of available hot water. Hot water is a "service" I have come to expect throughout my travels. I do not think this is a luxury but rather a necessity. Despite this, had our host explained that there was a hot water issue I could have adjusted my expectations.
Midway through our stay we recieved the gift of hot water although there was no mixer in the shower so water was freezing or scalding never warm.
I understand that Blue Osa is an eco-resort, however guests were discouraged from any expectation of clean or dry towels. A note was even posted on the activity board warning visitors that no clean towels would be available.
Rates for excursions did not include the caveat that transportation was an additional cost and that each passenger had to pay an extra fee. One night my entire group went to a local bar, there were approximately 6 passengers per vehicle. Each passenger was charged $20 for a short drive.The Drivers appeared to be employed by Blue Osa and the hotel placed a charge on our bill. We were not given the option of contacting a local taxi service. $120 per vehicle for a ten minute drive is outrageous.
There were times the Yoga studio was not swept and dead insect carcasses were part of our practice. We did not recieve readily available foods like coconut meat or nuts before our early practice.
The most disturbing part of my experience was the lecture our host gave one evening. Rather than offering an explaination for water issues, a thoughtful discussion regarding our complaints or even a free cocktail, we were treated to a lecture during which the phrase "I will not apologize" was used. In addition employees efforts to treat guests to hot water and clean towels were deemed as environmentally short sighted and "the Tico way. " This was insulting and demeaning not only to guests, but also to the very people that give the resort its (previously) stellar reputation.
I am rating my visit 3 stars based upon the absolutely fabulous people who work there. Marie the chef is a magician! She never failed to create delicious meals that always delighted us. Paul who acts as bartender/entertainer/therapist/mediator is incredible in every way (including physique). Jesus and Marcella are talented massage therapists who really listen to their clients and treatments are rejuvinating and luxurious! The gardening staff goes out of their way to show off the beautiful grounds and the creatures who share it with guests. Mike and Killian worked hard to address our complaints.
The owners of Blue Osa are incredibly fortunate to have such a dedicated and commited staff as well as a paradise for their playground. Hopefully they appreciate them and treat them with respect. Certainly they have lessons to learn regarding guest relations.

7 Thank Natal152
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
When I read your Trip Advisor review, I recognize that during the time that you were at Blue Osa, we were having some difficulties with our water supply on the property. Apparently I did not do a very successful job in explaining the situation to you and the others in the group as you arrived and for this I am sorry. Right before your visit started one of our major sources of water supplying our property was cut off and we were relying on our one well for water. Since your visit we now have activated two additional wells and have a good supply of water. The reason we had limited the supply of towels was due to the fact that we could not launder them on the property as we typically do and, at that time, they had to be sent out to be cleaned. We are in the middle of the jungle so sometimes these thing happen despite our best intentions.

Our first two years of being at Blue Osa was challenging, fun, and exciting. Our water came through a pipe from the mountains that was 3 km long. Our water pressure was such that often we could not run more than 2 showers simultaneously. Our only source of power was a small diesel generator that was turned on for 2 hours a night. We had no internet, no refrigeration, no telephone. The only light we had a night was from candles. In truth, until recently, many of the hotels on the Osa which are in the jungle like we are, operated the same way. We are truly an off-the-grid place and most people visiting us have really no idea what that means. Typically in the States our services are provided so seamlessly that most of us are ignorant of how water and electricity are supplied to our homes and businesses and usually take those parts of our lives for granted. And for this reason the value of water and energy conservation is so difficult to make part of our our daily lives.

But at Blue Osa because of our unique location we do have to take these issues seriously and from time to time our systems don't perform as we expect them to. Therefore it is difficult to plan and manage a water distribution system for ourselves, it is difficult to ensure hot shower water all the time since the hot water heating units that can function in our location are sometimes temperamental and don't perform as we would like. It is difficult to keep a fully stocked and functioning kitchen that produces universally praised meals. But we do it because we are committed to the very original idea we had for Blue Osa.

Our purpose in creating Blue Osa was to offer a place for people to come and enjoy a deliberate break with their usual lives, hopefully giving them an enjoyable moment to breathe, think and feel freely in an environment filled with natural beauty. We never intended to create a luxury resort. We are not this. We did intend to create this place where people would enjoy our life here and we have obviously done something right since we are consistently reviewed as excellent in Trip Advisor.

When we receive a review like yours, its disappointing since we have have worked so incredibly hard to envision, build and operate Blue Osa. But in the face of this criticism, bolstered by all the positive feed-back we get, we again recommit ourselves to the work we do and our desire to do it better. For at the end of the day, our final desire is to have our guest leave having had a special time in the Osa.

Blessings,
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Blue Osa, Costa Rica….not just holiday but a “Magical Experience”

How I arrived at Blue Osa was purely by many magical moments strung together in a complete example of synchronicity. I knew that whatever it was that led me to Blue Osa, it was exactly where I was supposed to be.
Blue Osa is in the middle of the rainforest; it’s natural and raw beauty takes your breath away. The grounds are cared for meticulously by Fillos who is so completely passionate about it all and is genuinely excited to share all of his knowledge with you regarding the surroundings and the fauna. You can see it from the sparkle in his eye whenever he is sharing any bit of information with you.
We were initially greeted by Paul who, despite the late hour, was smiling and welcoming. I immediately felt his warmth and his inspiring energy. He led us to our rooms which were simply charming, always clean, comfortable and calming. I love that Blue Osa is eco-friendly and runs on solar energy and was excited to be sharing their consciousness.
I also appreciated his heads up about the howler monkey's morning greeting which was welcomed and expected seeing as we were in the middle of this amazing jungle.
Paul is a charming bright light, who is always happy to assist in any way he can and genuinely cares about your experience. Every encounter with Paul leaves you feeling light, happy and fun. He also makes a mean Coconut Mojito…just sayin’!

The food will knock your socks off! The textures, the colors, the flavours, the aromas, the freshness …it all gets you but mostly the feeling that it was prepared with love and by someone who’s passion for food preparation is evident each time she shares with you what your next meal consists of. Marie is a beautiful and lovely French woman that I was so happy to communicate with in our native French language. It is clear that this woman wants you to enjoy your meal and is proud of her staff and is developing them as well which is super Cool!

The main purpose of the experience in Costa Rica was Yoga and I could not think of anything more magical than Blue Osa’s yoga deck. The open setting just above the ground, facing the ocean surrounded by beautiful sights and sounds could not be more perfect. No IPOD or soundtrack required! It was easy to take it all in and pose and reflect in this indescribable space. My chosen excursions of Surfing lessons, Zip-lining and hiking through the rainforest were all arranged by Blue Osa (Aaron and Michael) and were all completely fabulous and exhilarating to say the least. They (Aaron and Michael) were very accommodating and organized our transportation and the days that worked for us a group. It was great that the option to do exactly as little or as much as you wanted to do was completely supported. There is plenty to occupy yourself with if you chose to stay on the property; the pool is awesome, the beach is naturally beautiful, the grounds have plenty of serene spaces to chill, read, meditate and nap or all of the above AND there are also the Spa services.

A massage from Jesus and a facial from Marcella, it just doesn’t get any better! I have had spa treatments in the past but never quite like these. Jesus is a skilled therapist who tailored a massage to fit my needs exactly and let me just say his name suits him…he’s a miracle worker! Marcella is equally skilled and having a foot rub with ground coffee beans should be a must to the beginnings of any facial. My skin was not happy when I arrived at Blue Osa but the treatment and the all-natural Costa Rican products used during the facial were healing and decadent.

Aaron, our gracious host, was simply fabulous! His presence, his kindness, his graciousness and his beautiful spirit was limitless. Clearly his goal was to make sure that each and every guest’s experience at Blue Osa was one that would stay with them forever. I use the word ‘guest’ but I feel that I was more than a ‘guest’ and that I have made a friend in Aaron. I mentioned that my skin was not at all happy when I arrived at Blue Osa and Aaron was kind enough to suggest some products that helped and also offered me one of his specialty facials. Aaron is very knowledgeable and has a passion for skin care and during my facial with him I felt genuinely taken care of. I would describe the ‘event’ as a ritual of love and care and I am forever grateful to Aaron for providing me with that experience.

There is so much to share and so much to say but I hope that if you are looking for a magical experience that this writing will point you in the direction of your heart….straight to Blue Osa!!! Until we meet again...
Namaste
Brigitte Brousseau

Room Tip: Rooms below the yoga deck have a spectacular view of the ocean from your bed!
2 Thank Brigitte B
One of the most contagious things about being around you is your laughter and smile. Thank you for sharing it so freely.

I am really looking forward to the return of your group in Jan 2013. Many blessings for 2013,
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

My sister and I booked a trip to Blue Osa utilizing Group On and weren't entirely sure what to expect. We had both heard great things about Costa Rica and this area so were game for an adventure. Their website made the trip look fun and we both love yoga so that was a bonus. I couldn't have enjoyed my trip more. The setting is amazing and the food prepared by Marie and her staff was delicious! In addition, our timing couldn't have been better as it relates to yoga as Yogi Aaron (one of the owners) was in the final week of conducting a teacher training and we were given the gift of being able to attend yoga classes each morning. We both booked a couple of spa treatments while there and really enjoyed them. Blue Osa offered a nice mix of adventure (zip lines, hikes and bikes, kayaking, etc.) in an amazingly peaceful and beautiful setting. It has a real family feel as the staff is friendly and accommodating. I will go back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Coleen R
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
Coleen,

You and your sister were not only such a delight to have at Blue Osa, but we were so honored to have you attend our yoga practices and be apart of our teachers graduation. You both brought such a spirit of gratitude to the practice and Blue Osa. We wish you the best and look forward to an eminent return.

Blessings
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

In my past travels I have been to many caribbean resorts, and Blue Osa is on the top of my list. It is not just a resort, but an intimate experience. I was immediately introduced by the staff upon arrival with the comment of, " If you need anything, just ask and we will try to accomodate you". The grounds were very clean and the back yard was picture perfect. The sunrise and sunsets were like something out of a movie. You truley feel the essence of the jungle with occassional background sounds of wild parrots and monkeys. My favorite part of the trip was the delicious healthy meals that were prepared for us. Each meal was delightfully different and was accomodating to vegan. Practicing yoga was a treat in that the yoga room is on the second story and has a beautiful view of the ocean. There is nothing more calming than chanting "OM" to the beautiful blue waters of the ocean. Lastly , I would like to praise the massage therapist. I am an LMT myself and can be very picky when it comes to receiving massage. Jesus, the staff LMT was very professional and skilled. I would recommend this resort to anyone who loves nature, the ocean, contributing to preservation of our ecosystem, warm smiles, and delicious food.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
#4 of 45 in Osa Peninsula
Crocodile Bay Resort
Crocodile Bay Resort
#5 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!