“Natural retreat for those with a sense of adventure”

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Our Stay: We are two friends, who stayed for four nights on a Groupon certificate. We did not come with a Yoga retreat, nor did we come during prime season.

Location:
Getting to Blue Osa was where our adventure started. Looking for flights from the states ended up being more expensive than we would have liked, because when we initially priced the flights we didn't realize the time constraints placed on us because of the trip to Puerto Jiminez. To get to PJ, you must
1. arrive in San Jose amd take a taxi (about 30 minutes) to a regional airport.
2. Here, you will take an hour long flight (on the tiniest plane you've ever seen, no less) to get to Puerto Jiminez.
3. One of the two drivers, both of whom are extremely nice and helpful, will pick you up and the drive is 25-35 minutes on bumpy gravel roads.
MAKE NOTE: flights from San Jose to Puerto Jiminez don't leave any later than 12 during the off season so it's important that you know you will either have to stay overnight, or take an overnight flight (we took Frontier, which was a terrible mess in and of itself). Also, if you have not booked a groupon, there will be a significant charge for the flight and for transport on on both legs of your journey.

Environment: Blue Osa is an incredibly relaxing retreat. There is wildlife everywhere, the beach is just off the back lawn, and there are plenty of nooks to read and relax in. This is not a place that you go for nightlife (even trying to buy a beer or two seemed difficult at times) or a place where you stay fresh, clean and pampered all day. You need to be an outdorsey type with a sense of adventure! With that in mind, the rooms are lovely. My friend and I have stayed in many cabins and campgrounds and to us, this was luxury at its finest. Yes, there are bugs around (you are right in the middle of the rainforest, silly!) and the lack of AC was troubling at times. When I came home my bag smelled awful! But that was part of the fun. You could hear the rain pattering, the birds chirping, and feel the world waking up around you. The two beds were large with with four pillows each! Four! We slept soundly every night. Note that getting anywhere will cost you a cab fare, that includes getting to the excursions (expect an extra $40 to any excursion for transport). But these rides are great times to scope out the different areas and the drivers are always willing to stop for photos or birdwatching. You need to plan to spend money on excursions, because otherwise there's only the beach and you might get stir crazy after awhile.

Food: Food here was incredible. Three meals a day, non stop coffee (from 5:30 through the afternoon) and all kinds of different foods. I felt that I ate very healthy but was still super full every night. The kitchen staff is great and extremely helpful. It was great to not have to think about food for the whole trip - just wait for the meal bell!

Excursions: I did the waterfall rappel and the chocolate tour. The rapelling was wonderful and our guide was fantastic! You get to see a beach that's totally different than the one at Blue Osa so I'd definitely recommend it. The chocolate tour was nice too, especially because it is on the other side of town and you get to see some interesting towns as you drive by. My friend did the kayak and said it was wonderful. One thing to note: You need to push Aaron if you want to be sure to get all your tours. He's pretty laid back about "oh, you can just go with them on this other thing" or "there's lots to do here, just walk on the beach!" and isn't your typical hotel concierge. So if you want to do something, make sure that it's available (some tours aren't offered on some days). I missed the kayak tour for just this reason, and on our last day we didn't really have any options of things we could do because we didn't plan for it. Going with others from the hotel is a lot of fun and makes your excursions cheaper, as well.

All-in-all, a lovely place for anyone who likes the balance between athletic & nature-driven challenges as well as rest and peaceful relaxation! Be prepared to be sticky, and smelly, and worn out in the best way possible when you return home!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I am in severe withdrawal today having returned yesterday from an amazing week in the paradise of Blue Osa. The food (thank you Marie for the best meals!) the surroundings, the quiet and the awesome nature on all sides. There was no fresh brewed coffee at 5:30 this morning or the very welcome sound of the breakfast bell. I'm ready to go back!

Aaron and his staff do everything that they can to make their guests feel like family- and it works. A special thank you to Marcela for the best massages I have ever had. She had her work cut out for her this week as Jesus was on vacation. She had a full schedule because many of us chose to come back for more! It is amazing that this delicate wisp of a woman can have such strong and talented hands. You are one of the natural treasures of Costa Rica.

Highly recommended: waterfall rappelling! And this is from a retiree who never thought she would, or could, make her way down a 100' drop. Unbelievable. The guides were professional and fun and kept all of us safe....and our group was a bit of mix of skills and fear levels to say the least.

And then there is just the beauty of sitting....and listening...and watching. No better way to vacation.

One caveat: the yoga retreat part is really a DIY piece if there is not a full-out retreat in residence. You will pay to rent a mat, but the space is beautiful and the props are plentiful. Well worth taking the time, especially in the silence of early morning.

To Aaron, Marie, Michael, Marcella and all of the other wonderful staff ....thank you thank you. I hope to be able to do this again!

Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 25 June 2012

besides the beautiful garden & property, friendly staff, Aaron's infectious laugh, the friendly house dogs & amusing cats, Jesus' wonderful massages, the FOOD, the mostly private beach... the blue osa is really a wonderful place to relax and do a whole lot of nothing.

but if you are looking for adventure, they can help set that up as well. my friends and i went on a bunch of excursions while we were there: chocolate tour (YUM! the snack at the end of the tour is worth it!), zipling (my first time and so fun!), a bike & hike tour with fillo (monkeys, macaws, waterfall and blue morphos!), a visit to the animal sanctuary across the golfo de dulce (a worthwhile visit, plus sweetie the house monkey is really fun) and dolphin watching on the way back (we were so lucky to see so many!).

my favorite, however, was the flight into Corcovado national park and day hike we took. it's an expensive excursion, but if you can get 4 people together to split the cost, it is an amazing experience. we left early to get on the 15 minute BEAUTIFUL flight on a 6 seat prop plane to the Sirena Station at Corcovado and when we opened the door what we experienced could only be described as getting dropped into the middle of Jurrasic Park. i'd never heard animals so alive! on the flight back, you fly on the ocean side and get to buzz by the hotel!

as others have noted, there are transportation costs attached to excursions, but the hotel is about a 40 minute drive on a bumpy unpaved road to town. honestly, i thought it was fair, considering you would sacrifice the tranquil setting that the blue osa has.

i only rate the sleep quality as average because i was always awakened by the howler monkeys, which by the way, you can spot on a morning walk down the road or the beach.

the last of the adventures? a frog on the bed and then getting trapped in the bathroom at night with a bat! just remember folks, you are in the tropics!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank kittyhead
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Thank you so much for your extensive review and sharing your insights here. We look forward to having you come back to Blue Osa. And all the howler monkeys send their regards!

Blessings
Aaron

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Highlights:
- Veg-friendly. I am a vegan but gave them no warning. Still, the amazing chef catered to me, and let me know which dishes were vegan at every meal There were several meals when I had to walk away from the table in pain because I ate too much!
- Peaceful. You have many possible ways to relax: hop on a hammock, take a lap in the pool, read a book under the veranda, sign up for a massage or body scrub, bring a blanket to the beach...All of these options are just a couple hundred yards away from each other.
- No neighbors! On either side of Blue Osa is beach and jungle. A handful of local fisherman fish half a mile down, but besides that, you can treat it like your own backyard. Go swimming nude! It's allowed, and because you rarely see people at the beach, you just might find yourself stripping down.
- The staff are understanding, patient, and friendly.
- No planning necessary. All you need to do is sign up for one of many, many tours, and you could fill a week and a half. If you're only staying at Blue Osa, don't buy a guide book to Costa Rica!! Everything is taken care of for you.

Considerations:
- You're staying at an ECO-lodge. This inherently means you're sacrificing American amenities. But suck it up! You're doing so in order to preserve the gorgeous resources you've traveled thousands of miles to see. If you're not willing to do so, reconsider going to any eco-lodge at all.
- The shuttles to and from tours will be billed to you. Maybe I didn't read the fine-print warning, but they added up.
- This is an English-speaking environment. You can of course speak to the staff in Spanish (although most speak some English), but this is run by Americans and patronized by mostly Americans.
- If you want to do yoga, set it up beforehand. It really isn't offered to everyday guests unless you're willing to pester them and pay up ($25 per class + $5 mat fee). To me, it wasn't worth it at all.

All in all, I am very happy I chose Blue Osa. The setting, staff, activities, and food were 100% stress-free!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NoraPV
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you so much for your reviews. Reviews like these are fantastic because they help to convey more information. Thank you.

Last November we changed our tour menu to show the prices for the shuttles to the tours. We would love to include the prices of the shuttles in the tours, but no one does that hear on the Osa. Also, the shuttle prices change depending on how many people are using the shuttle on that tour. You can go to our website and download our tour menu. The prices for the shuttles are listed on the last page.

While we do not offer the physical practice of yoga daily to all of our guests, yoga is practiced in many different ways at Blue Osa. We do not offer daily yoga classes because we have many programs running at Blue Osa throughout the year where guests can participate if they wish. We encourage all of our guests to join a yoga program where possible.

To those reading this review...

We invite all of our guests to participate in a yoga practice to enhance the quality of their stay at Blue Osa.  A variety of yoga retreats are held here throughout the year.  If there is a yoga retreat being offered during your stay and you would like to join the retreat, then we would be glad to ask the retreat leader if that would be possible.  There may be certain requirements to join and there will be a separate fee for the retreat classes payable to the retreat leader.  ( The group leader often will charge a fee of $20 a class to $600 for the week for you to join in.) If you are unable to attend the classes or none are being offered during your stay, we do offer individual, customized classes. The charge for this service is $95 for 1 or 2 people. This yoga ritual is a 60 - 75 min service.  If you would like to book a package of three classes, the fee is $250.  If there are more than two people who would like to practice together, the price increases by $20 per person for each class.  When they are not in use, you are also welcome to use the yoga studio or pool pavilion at any time for your personal practice.

My guests who have come to Blue Osa experience immediately the yogic quality we work on cultivating. Practices in yoga vary and we encourage guests to find their own during their stay.

If you would like to come on a yoga retreat and cultivate a physical practice, please go to the retreats section of our website and view what is available.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Pros:
- The food is delicious; healthy, interesting, fresh, and mostly vegetarian!
- The staff are like angels. They take the extra step to make sure you are happy, comfortable, taken care of and well fed.
- The grounds are kept immaculately clean, yet still feel natural
- The rooms are nice and spacious
- The backyard is an endless stretch of beach and even with a patch of forest - lots of wilderness to explore there alone
- Just at the start of the rainy season and there was hardly any people.. you basically have the beach almost to yourself or the pool to yourself, giving you plenty of personal space which is very relaxing. I don't think the retreat is designed to be very packed, which is good.
- You can even spot monkeys and macaws from the pool
- There is a social aspect to where you sit during dinner. You and your party are placed with different guests each night. You can meet interesting people and yet it is not too invasive.
- The dogs are hilarious and they keep you company when you head down to the beach
- You can always start the day with a cup of coffee and the view of the beach or the sounds of the waves

Things to know or that could be better:
- They should do something about the showers - the settings are either freezing cold or scalding hot. After a trekking in the rainforest or swimming in the beach, I'd choose cold over hot.
- They try to make your experiences as comfortable as possible, however, because it is an eco lodge in a remote location, be prepared to feel a little taken out of the normal comforts of home. There is no AC and water conservation is highly encouraged. There is no laundry and drier and because of the humidity, your clothes also take some time to dry. It's still miles more comfortable than the hotels in the nearest town, Puerto Jaminez, but it's not Madison Avenue or the Hilton.
- On the other hand, if you are looking to explore the peninsula more and go on lots of treks/excursions I recommend staying in Puerto Jaminez or somewhere else. The road from blue osa to Puerto Jaminez where most of the tours leave is bumpy and because of that, it's a long ride. The shuttle fees also start adding up.
- I don't recommend bringing children. Most of the people come here to relax and find some peace!
- The showers do not come with shampoo or soap so bring your own. I kind of gave up washing my hair. Towards the end you start to get a little wild.
- If you are the type that gets bitten by mosquitos a lot, bring clothes that cover you up entirely to wear in the evenings when they come out. Be prepared to spend a lot on insect repellent.
- Rent the kayaks and go kayaking in the beach. For $10 it is definitely worth it. The water is calm, just the right salt level and perfect temperature so take a dip when you are farther out in sea. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to float.
- That said, be careful of jellyfish closer to the shore. We were stung a couple of times. Don't panic, it's not deadly. The pain goes away after a minute or two and there are no lasting marks.
- I wish they played up the yoga bit a little more, but I think it's more for if you came and paid specifically for the yoga program.

Overall, it was a good balance of getting outside of my comfort zone by living in and exploring what is something like a jungle. However, Blue Osa provided a very relaxing and pampered experience when they could.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Last year, I purchased a 6 night stay for the Blue Osa from Groupon. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the tripadvisor reviews sounded great and I was very intrigued by the resort. I booked the stay for my husband and I for the first week of May and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. A trip to Costa Rica and Blue Osa is an amazing experience, and leaving after a week was very difficult. If we could have stayed longer, we would have.

Everything you'll read from other reviewers on this site about Blue Osa is true.... the food is absolutely amazing! Marie and the rest of the kitchen staff really know how to put together three fabulous meals a day. Everything is fresh, and healthy, and I never left a meal feeling hungry. My husband and I always wondered what was going to be served for lunch or dinner, because no matter what it would be, we knew it would be incredible! Even the coffee tasted better than it does back home. Dinner was my favorite meal as the Cocina would be lit with candles on the tables and the lights from above, and it just seemed like the most magical part of the day.

There's quiet time in the morning until about 7:45 am, which I will say, I had a really hard time abiding by, as a macaw would fly by or I'd see a parrot in a tree, and want to tell my husband about it. That being said, it was really nice to just hear nature in the morning and be at peace for a while after waking up. Nature is everywhere around you, and you can always take a walk down the road to find some howler or squirrel monkeys.

The grounds are impeccably maintained and your room will always be clean. The pool was refreshing, and there's ample locations to sit with a book and read. There's a signup clipboard in the Cocina where you can sign up for any spa treatments and tours. We went ziplining, took a boat tour to the Osa Animal Sanctuary (our favorite tour!), went kayaking and took a hike through the rainforest/jungle. All the tours were incredible, and sometimes there were only three or four of us on a tour. Blue Osa will arrange for the taxis for all the tours, and there's little to worry about. Michael does a great job coordinating all of this for the guests.

I really can't say enough good things about Blue Osa. It was really enjoyable to watch the sunrise and sunset, take a walk on the beach with Rama and Shiva (resident dogs who become everyone's friend at Blue Osa), and just be in an absolutely incredible place. We didn't bring our cell phones, ipads or any other electronic devices, and it allowed us to truly unwind and recharge. There's also no TV or air conditioning, and you'll find you won't miss either of those. It is also not a resort just for those who want to practice yoga. We found during the week we were there that there were some people who practiced yoga (but not exclusively), some who were nature lovers/birders and some just wanted to experience Costa Rica and Blue Osa. It was a great mix of people, and you'll find that over the course of the week, you'll really enjoy sharing the stories of your day with them and listening to what they did as well. I think it is also important to mention that I also felt very safe at the hotel. If you're someone who is concerned about being on the Osa Peninsula and not in a well populated part of Costa Rica, you shouldn't worry about it at all.

Aaron has created something very magical and special at Blue Osa, and if you decide to go to Blue Osa, you'll never regret it. All I could tell everyone when I came home was how amazing the trip was!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer F
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

We are thrilled you had such a great time at Blue Osa I wanted to thank you so much for writing such a complete review of your experience here. These reviews allow others to get a better sense of Blue Osa and our offerings.

I am so happy you enjoyed the morning silence. Silence is one of the most powerful of all spiritual practices (from all traditions and religions.) Most of us do not know how to be still or quiet. Blue Osa is on the enchanting piece of land that engenders deep stillness which makes this practice of being quiet effortless and profound.

We hope you will come back to us soon.

Blessings
Aaron

Reviewed 31 May 2012

I bought the trip to Blue Osa through Groupon last year and ended up inviting a friend to go along. We had a wonderful time. It didn't take long to cycle down to a rhythm of waking up early to the smell of coffee, sitting out on the veranda listening to and watching the wildlife. Our days consisted of beach walks, yoga, pilates on our own in the beautiful studio, hanging in the pool, walking along the road with lots of time to read and relax. Everyone who worked at Blue Osa was very friendly. You could tell that they enjoyed working there and interacting with all of us. Marie and her staff kept us well fed with delicious offerings and a massage by Jesus was quite memorable. Now I am back to the workaday world but the memories help me slow down and enjoy the moment.

Room Tip: Corner rooms below the yoga studio and facing the gulf have great views and cross ventilation.