“Amazing Week at Blue Osa”

and 1 more site!
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I had the wonderful good fortune of leading a yoga & shamanic retreat at the Blue Osa. Blue Osa came highly recommended. To say that it did not disappoint would be an understatement. Having traveled to many parts of the world it ranks right up at the top on my list of favorite places.

The food was fabulous, the kitchen is in the very masterful hands of the head chef Marie and her amazing team.

You could not ask for a more sublime setting and environment. You are surrounded on 3 sides by jungle, and the fourth side is the ocean. I had never thought of getting up at 4:45am as a treat, but it is at the Blue Osa...you can walk down to the beach for the daily ritual of watching the sun rising over the water. The howler monkeys are very helpful in getting you up on time for the sun rise. The Blue Osa dogs are sure to assist you whenever you feel like a walk on the beach. You are sure to see & hear the scarlet macaws during your idyllic, nurturing, and rejuvenating time spent at the resort.

Our group had come from all over the US, Canada, and Europe, so there were many wonderful conversations in English, French, and Spanish. Aaron and the rest of the staff did an excellent job making everyone feel very welcome and comfortable.

Blue Osa has a small and intimate feeling, and at the same time you can't help but be affected by the beauty and power of being strongly connected to the land and nature. What a heavenly and rare combination.

Being a yoga instructor and practitioner I now come to my only complaint about Blue Osa. They have made it impossible for me to teach or practice anywhere and not be a little disappointed. I have experienced some very nice yoga studios, but Blue Osa surpasses them all. They have created the most amazing yoga "deck" in the world, (or at least in my world). It is located up on the 2nd level. It is large, open, and full of light. As you practice you look out over the amazing grounds and out onto the ocean. You feel held by nature as you practice.

I look forward to leading my next retreat at The Blue Osa.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 June 2013

What I liked the best about Blue Osa was the food! Marie and her staff cooked the most amazing meals!! I went to Blue Osa for a massage class, and the resort is advertised a yoga retreat. I thought it would be great to go to such a beautiful location to learn, and also practice yoga everyday! When I arrived, after along bumpy ride down a dirt road, I was in awe of the location of Blue Osa. The grounds were immaculate and the staff seemed very friendly! The room that I stayed in was spectacular with hard wood floors, really comfortable beds and a safe inside for personal items. The bathroom was shared between three rooms however. Not all of the rooms at the resort were this way though. They served cocktails there, but they were $8 a piece, $6 for a glass of wine, $5 for a beer. This seemed high for costa rica. I went on some adventure tours while I was there, and every time we went somewhere it required a taxi service which ranged from $20-$40 each time. Which I also thought was high. When I was booking my trip, I specifically asked if there would be yoga classes daily, the response was yes. When I got There, the only yoga class was taught by one of the massage teachers. There was no yoga, which was a huge disappointment. Also, they had bikes for rent, which were the crappiest bikes, the brakes and gears didn't even work on some of them, and they charge $20 each time for rental. This place was beautiful- very far removed from the town of Puerto Jimenez, but it was very expensive!! Also toward the end of my stay I experienced some rude behavior from some of the staff which made me want to leave. My bill just for my tours, drinks, rentals, one accupuncture treatment and taxis for 6 days totaled over $800. Whew! I had a lot of fun, but payed a pretty penny!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Hi Lindsay

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great and detailed review.

My recollection of you during the week is that you had a spectacular time taking advantage of the many offerings we have and had a really great week which included not only acupuncture, but surfing, zip lining, joining an intimate staff party, hiking and much more.

The one thing I did want to clarify for you is that you came with a group offering a massage training at Blue Osa. Blue Osa provides the space for many groups to hold their yoga retreats, massage trainings, weddings, corporate retreats, etc.

Blue Osa has no influence over the schedule of these groups, what they offer or don't, their schedule of activities. I am sorry you did not experience more yoga while you were here. We do host many fantastic world renowned yoga teachers at Blue Osa and hope that you can come back and join one of them in the future.

Many blessings

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I had the opportunity to spend a week at Blue Osa for a yoga retreat. The moment I stepped onto the property, it was like coming home. The Blue Osa family is so warm and receptive. The facilities and amenities are amazing. The comfortable rooms, the delicious meals prepared by Marie and her amazingly talented staff, and the excursions are worth a stay at Blue Osa. This was my second trip to this beautiful resort RIGHT on the beach, and I plan on returning. I highly encourage the waterfall repel adventure and the ultimate zip line experience!! SO MUCH FUN! I've been telling all my friends that are planning a trip to Costa Rica or have a desire to visit, that they MUST stay at the Blue Osa. It's guaranteed that you will be treated with kindness and love.....like family.

Room Tip: I'd recommend selecting a room on the ground floor that are closer to the pool and view of the o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

Dear John

Thank you so much for being such an amazing Yoga Group leader. The group of students and yogis you and Bryan brought were so warm and kind to all of the Blue Osa family, that it was effortless in providing care to them. We all had such a memorable week that we are still reminiscing.

We can't wait to have you back next year!

Blessings

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Do you want to have a yoga retreat in a setting that resembles a National Geographic setting. Then Blue Osa is the place for you. Imagine doing your yoga while listening to waves catching in a state of the art yoga studio. To top it off, the yoga instructor will bring your practice to a whole new level. Thanks Jessica. Not only that you will eat the most amazing food, go on exciting adventure trips, and be treated like family by the an incredibly accommodating staff. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The beach divine, and waking up to Howler monkeys wanting you to start your day is a once in a lifetime experience. Thanks Aaron and to all your wonderful staff for making my stay divine.

Dear Lorraine,

Thank for sharing your friendly Canadian spirit with us. It is wonderful having people come visit us from back home. Jess and I thoroughly enjoyed having you become apart of our family during the week. We are so glad you received so much for the Personal Yoga Retreat Getaway.

I do hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Blessings

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I went to Blue Osa on a week long yoga retreat and had never been to Costa Rica before. After this trip I will be returning again - many times I hope. Where to begin - from the first day meeting Michael to the last afternoon saying good bye to Marie, each day became better than the previous. The staff: warm, friendly and always helpful to the smallest details. The food: perfect every day, always fresh wholesome, nourishing and made with love. The resort: beautiful and relaxing is an understatement. I was rejuvenated by the sounds of the ocean, calls of the birds & monkey, smells of the tropical flowers, sea breezes and the rainforest. The activities: many great tours to choose from, waterfall repelling, zip lines, kayaking the mangroves or walking the beach every morning. I could be as active or as lazy as I wanted to be each day.
Aaron & Adam had a vision of a resort and created a place where I felt so welcomed & comfortable. It was more than I could have imagined yet, everything I needed.

Thank you again; Aaron, Michael, Marie, Jose, Jessica & Jesus.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Blue Osa is purely magical.

The property is beautiful, well kept and a sanctuary to get away from all of your worries and stress. I attended a Yoga retreat at Blue Osa and it was the perfect setting for our group. Aaron, Michael, Maria, and all of the staff were so very friendly, helpful, and a delight to interact with. The location is away from all touristy places but the access is easy via the arrangements Blue Osa helps arrange. The local tours which were provided were all great experiences of Costa Rica and the beauty and fun it offers. The flora and fauna on and around the resort is amazing....if you don't schedule a tour off of the property there is plenty to see and do right there! I really appreciated the constant efforts to be eco-friendly, which was always apparent.

I scheduled a massage with Jesus and I can't say enough about his skills and how he is very intuitive on your needs and problem areas. He is a true healer....which lead me to book a second follow up session.

The food at Blue Osa was always exceptional, fresh, and plentiful. Maria has to be one of the most hard working and passionate individuals I have seen. Her creations are a direct reflection of that passion which resonates throughout the staff. It was also very nice to always have fresh Costa Rican Coffee available at all times!!

The rooms are very well kept, always clean, and comfortable. The overhead fans and bed fans made sleeping very easy in the tropical environment. As well as the rooms, all of the bathrooms and the common areas were also very clean and well kept.

Blue Osa is truly a place to "get away from it all" and to be able to do as little or as much as you so choose. Whether you are with a group or as an individual Aaron has obviously made it easy for you to always feel at home when you are at Blue Osa.

Don't hesitate, go now!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I booked my trip to Blue Osa with a company that offers continuing education credits for Massage Therapists. I went to the website to check out the facilities and watched some of the videos on the youtube channel. I was excited about meeting Aaron and eating Marie's meals, but in no way could I have possibly imagined having the time I had. The staff members were accommodating; On the first day I arrived, Fillo (the tour guide) gave a white hawk call to the macaws in the trees, so I could see them fly! I enjoyed playing in the Gulfo Dulce and renting one of Blue Osa's bikes to go for a ride. The zipline tour was fun and I learned a lot on the Matapalo hike. I love that Blue Osa is an Eco-resort and has such a strong commitment to the environment. The landscaping, architecture and decor were conducive to relaxation, and I had the opportunity to slow down and quiet, something essential in balancing my very full life. It has been almost a month since I was there, and I am still bathing in the beauty of the experience! I hope to return again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
El Remanso Lodge
El Remanso Lodge
#3 of 43 in Osa Peninsula

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!