“Paradise...found!”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Paradise...found!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Blue Osa was a lovely and relaxing home away from home during our recent trip to Costa Rica. Every detail was just perfect, from Michael's warm welcome, to the lovely gardens and grounds, the comfortable rooms and delicious, healthy meals. I want to return for cooking school! Thank you Aaron, Adam, Michael, Olger, Jess, Jesus and everyone at Blue Osa for your gracious hospitality. Pura Vida!

2 Thank Susan M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stressed out? Fatigued? Overwhelmed? Underwhelmed? This place really is great medicine for all modern day afflictions. It manifests into whatever you want it to be--an adventure packed Indian Jones like vacation with zip lining, waterfall rappelling and strangler tree climbing, to a tranquil paradise for those seeking to soothe their tired minds with yoga, quiet time, the pool, beach and spa. Of course, you can also do something in-between.

The rooms are spacious and inviting. Yes, mosquito nets are provided and, yes, you should use them. Remember, you are in the middle of a rain forest and a little due diligence goes a long way in these parts. It is humid here and I found that I had a challenging time air drying some of my clothes (even in the sun) so make sure to pack lite fabrics and quick dry fabrics if you have them.

The spa is comfortable and inviting and I swear to God that Jesus (the massage therapist) can perform miracles. Book him, you'll be singing his praises to kingdom come. Honestly, don't skip it, make a session with him a part of your budget.

Everyone is so welcoming and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. After my first day I felt more like I was visiting family. From the grounds keepers, cleaners, to the guide and kitchen staff, I felt welcomed and comfortable. Michael, the general manager is easy going but organized. He's efficient, helpful and always had a moment to talk about trips, planning, etc.

Jessica, the Vinyasa yoga instructor, still taught me classes even if on that particular day I was the only one who signed up for a group class (I went during the rainy season, there was less people--which, for someone seeking quiet, was awesome). She also worked within my abilities and limitations, stretching me to my intelligent edge but never to a point where I felt as if it were too much. The yoga room is very large, airy, light and brilliant.

Adam and Aaron are the overall foundation of Blue Osa and they were so willing to mingle with the guests, chat and make everyone feel at home. Dinner is a family affair where every guest sits someplace else every evening (the staff remain together for the most part) to get to know one another, which, I have to say, was AWESOME. I met some great people that I'm still keeping in touch with as a result of this.

Did I mention that the food will change your life? It was the most delicious food. It will inspire you to want to eat better when you get back and make you very sad not to have the amazing kitchen crew whipping up healthy food for you only a daily basis. I never told anyone there that I was a vegetarian but, I found myself with no problems with having balanced, wholesome, tasty, meat free meals every day. AND, when i missed a meal because I was blissing out in the spa, the kitchen staff (whom I will fondly remember forever) saved me a plate of food. I was really touched.

Tours were diverse. There is something for everyone on every side of the adventure spectrum. I strongly recommend seeing what everyone else is signing up for and, more importantly, when. The shuttle fare costs less when more people sign up for the adventure. And that will make a significant budgetary difference and free up some money for another trip perhaps. You can plan your activities and see the shuttle prices in advance. A welcome package highlighting all the options was emailed to me after I booked.

The cool thing is you can put all this (and the spa services) on your credit card so that you don't have to worry about carrying around the right amount of money or finding a ATM (not the easiest thing). Ask which credit cards they accept. I think (though don't quote me) it was everything but amex.

Bring bug spray and don't assume you will be able to get some strong stuff here. Because we only had our carry-on baggage, we didn't bring any because of TSA rules and we thought we could buy some in town. Baaaaaad move. Thank goodness some guests and the staff let us borrow some. The natural stuff Blue Osa sells (while lovely in its non-eco impact) did not work on me (it may on you but bring backup anyway). Sun screen: if you choose not to bring it from home than budget around 20usd to buy it at the resort.

Please be mindful that if you're flying into San Jose International Airport, you really need to give yourself time (30-40 minutes in our experience) before your flight to Puerto Jimenez. It's not the same airport.

Most necessary: sunscreen, bug spray, first aid kit (per group traveling together not per person, camera, extra battery and SIM card, water shoes (better over flip flops even), hiking shoes, hat, ear plugs.
Leave home: shampoo, soap, conditioner, make-up (honestly, I hardly saw anyone wearing any and it was too humid to matter), lots of clothing, towels, hairdryer.
Valuables: No room keys, rooms usually unlocked but, there is a safe in the room.

I really loved it there and miss everyone I met. It was an incredible trip and I hope that I have the opportunity to go back or see some of the wonderful people that really made my trip one of a kind.

PS-While you're there, you will undoubtedly meet the fuzzy family--Shiva, Rama, Pete, Steve (I hope I got all the names down right). Pet therapy! We took walks on the beach, played in the water and went searching for sand crabs together. They are as much as part of the experience and family at Blue Osa as any one else.

1 Thank Monica-UrbanNomad
Lockport, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I attended a yoga retreat in March 2013 at Blue Osa and I highly recommend it. Absolutely beautiful, private, and secluded property, on the beach and in the jungle. The staff was great! The food was an experience in itself and would make any foodie happy! I can't imagine a more beautiful place to practice yoga than the 2nd story yoga studio overlooking the beach. This trip was truly life changing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Massapequa Park, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I honestly don't even know where to begin. I just got back from Blue Osa three days ago and I still feel like I'm on a high. I came here on a LivingSocial package with my boyfriend and over the course of 6 days, we had the most extraordinary time.

For starters, the staff at Blue Osa is incomparable to any other. The owners, Aaron and Adam, are the sweetest and most genuine people I have ever had the pleasure of spending my time with. They were attentive, charismatic, and, most of all, welcoming. From the moment we walked in to the moment we left, I never felt remotely uncomfortable. If anything, it felt like I was staying in the company of old friends. They are the key figures in the cast of characters we came across in our brief sojourn in Costa Rica. Other important supporting roles belonged to the likes of Jesus, Chi, Jess, Fillo, the entire kitchen staff, and the maintenance team. Each of them has something to bring to the table that is both inviting and fascinating. Definitely indulge in a massage from Jesus - it was perhaps one of the best hours of my life.

In regards to the food, there are just not enough words in my vernacular to describe how incredible it was. I have a list of everything we ate so I won't bore you with too many specifics but the highlights were the following: lentils with a garlic sauce, potato and tuna salads, homemade focaccia bread, plantain chips with guacamole, fried squash, mahi mahi kebabs, tiramisu, and tres leches. Everything is super fresh, delicious, and, most of all, nutritious. This was one of the few vacations I've been on where I actually really enjoyed everything I ate and I didn't hate myself afterwards. Dinners are served family style and as a communal event so be prepared to socialize. Chatting with other guests is perhaps one of the coolest parts about Blue Osa.

The rooms are quaint and very spacious. We had two queen sized beds, a daybed, and a massive bathroom - more than enough space for two people with two small bags of stuff. There are also mosquito nets above each bed but we found ourselves not needing them once. There are bugs but unless you leave your door open, they won't venture into the room. There are also small fans next to each bed so if you're truly worried that the weather is going to be too oppressive for you, these will certainly help quash that anxiety. We slept soundly most nights - with the exception of a few loud howler monkey cries waking us now and then - and the weather is definitely comfortable, albeit a bit damp.

In terms of the day trips offered, there's literally something for everyone. There's a waterfall rappelling tour for the adventure seekers and a chocolate tour for those not so inclined to serious physical exertion. Personally, I went on the "Supreme Ultimate" ziplining tour, the horseback riding tour, and went rogue by doing a daytrip to Corcovado National Park on my own, sans guide. The ziplining tour was AMAZING. Pure adrenaline rush. Definitely had views of the rainforest that we'd have never gotten otherwise. The horseback riding tour was equally amazing and both leisurely and exciting. There's hiking, climbing, and swimming involved in that tour and it's a wonderful combination of activity and beauty. The 11 mile hike we took inside Corcovado was kind of crazy because we were in the heart of the rainforest - it's not a trip for the faint of heart for you will see wild animals. Most people suggest spending more than one day in the park but our day trip was still fulfilling regardless. Ask Aaron about taking the Collectivo to Carate to get to the park on your own - he was more than accommodating to our questions even though we weren't doing a pre-ordained tour through them.

Overall, Blue Osa is this surreal, sensory world that you can't really find anywhere else. It's such a bizarrely beautiful melting pot of luxury, camping, adventure, and relaxation. Having an open mind and a social soul are two things I'd suggest you have before planning a trip to Blue Osa; in order to really have the full experience, you need to just go with the flow. Also, bring a book or two and leave the electronics at home, like their website suggests. It's such a natural environment - you'll feel compelled to disconnect.

Blue Osa is pure, unadulterated magic. Go there and be prepared to never want to go home.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenna A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I recently visited Blue Osa on a whirlwind trip scouting new locations in Costa Rica. I wish I could have stayed and stayed and stayed. The best things about Blue Osa cannot be put in numerical order because they all tie for #1:

the amazing staff that makes you feel instantly at home, the food!, the easy comfort of the rooms, the visual luxury of the beach and the jungle all around you, the owners Aaron and Adam and their welcoming spirit and their fabulous pets that roam Blue Osa freely and always join you on beach walks.

We are more than excited to send our yogis to Blue Osa and to give them the opportunity to unwind and relax in eco-luxury. Cheers to Aaron and Adam for creating a eco conscious retreat with a huge, huge heart.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I just returned home from staying at Blue Osa last week. I haven't had such a relaxing vacation in years. The food was wonderful and the staff could not have been sweeter. You could take tours, have a massage, go to the beach or just relax around the property. I would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: There are some rooms with their own bathrooms and some that share. Be sure to ask for the kind you w...
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Ahhh, the ideal retreat from the daily grind!

Blue Osa for lack of a better word was perfect. Never have my girlfriend and I been treated to such an intimate setting where one feels like they never left home. Aaron, Marie and the rest of the Blue Osa staff have created a truly special place.

A bit of background information: my girlfriend and I purchased a LivingSocial offer in April for five nights at Blue Osa. This offer included one hour spa treatments as well as a rainforest tour. Neither of us are yogis and that was just fine--you do not have to do anything yoga-related in order to have a fantastic visit! We visited in June during the first half of the "rainy season" and were pleasantly surprised that there was hardly any rain apart from a few afternoon showers and one epic (and enjoyable) thunderstorm. Unless you are traveling in Oct-Nov, there doesn't seem to be any reason to avoid CR (and Blue Osa) in the rainy season!

The property is pristine. We took a daily swim in the non-chlorinated pool and had the privilege to see two types of monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws and various lizards daily while walking to and from the beach (which is 30 seconds away!). Our room was very spacious, if understandably basic (it is a proper ecoresort, after all) and provided for some sound sleeping after each day's adventures. Each room's equipped with plenty of fans and mosquito netting. Our room also had a bonus hammock!

Oh the food! I caught myself saying that this was "the most healthy week of delicious food of my life" more than a few times. Marie and her staff know how to cook truly phenomenal meals. Every time the "meal bell" would ring a big smile would creep across my face. Pavlov would be proud. Food is served family style with randomly assigned sitting for dinner. This allows for some great conversations.

We managed to get out everyday as well. Aaron and Adam have curated a wonderful selection of excursions to choose from. They can add up in terms of cost (due to transportation), but are WELL WORTH IT! It's hard to pick a favorite, but our guided hike through the jungle and trip to a nearby animal sanctuary (via boat) were unforgettable.

Thank you Blue Osa for refilling us with the joy of life!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 45 in Osa Peninsula
Crocodile Bay Resort
Crocodile Bay Resort
#5 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!