“My time was SOO Blue!!!”

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
New York City, New York
“My time was SOO Blue!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I was at Blue OSA for a week!!! While I was leaving I was so sad that it was time to go back to NY...Also I was regretting that all those years I spent my time,$,energy going to Club Meds, etc, etc while trying to find somewhere so that I could relax, Now where to go. The place is so blissful and happy and no matter who you are your energy gets connected with the environment .. Silence mornings!! Awesome idea and it's amazing how we all still understood each other with a Universal language called SMILE.. Painted;) View every morning with the Sun rise as well as with the Sun set and it's the place if you would like to " Activate" the vortex inside of you called Love...Nature in away talks to you with colors and birds among other creatures!! Whoever is working there are extremely connected with the beauty of the Energy over there. The Food and the way they presented is outstanding, the word of delusion is not enough to describe. Ocean, food, quiet time, massages as well as Yoga is the place you would like to BE.. My body, mind and soul were so much rested. Missed Blue Ossa already but missed mostly Yoga cat Lucy!! The place is so kind so that even the insects will be biting you politely!! Pura Vida!!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny.Also my favorite room is number 8 . It's called Bliss.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bahar B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Finnish first
Normandy Park, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had an opportunity to stay at Blue Osa and Aqua Dulce two weeks ago. Although they are both surrounded by rainforest on three sides, and they are both on a lovely beachfront, the two places are like apples and oranges. If you wish to do Yoga, get massages and Spa treatments (for about $100 per hour of treatment), then you will like Blue Osa a lot; it has one of the best Yoga Decks in my memory (situated on the second floor, overlooking lush manicured surroundings, with a picturesque beach in the background). If you like to immerse yourself in Yoga sessions 3 times a day then it is best to book Blue Osa as a package -- via a Yoga Instructor. Our great Yoga Instructor, Alec Davis, arranged our week at Blue Osa, as a package we purchased from him, so all our Yoga sessions were included at no extra charge. Blue Osa also offers a 75-min Yoga session to be used exclusively for yourself OR split between yourself and a fellow traveler. The price is $99 for 1-session OR $259 for a 3-session package.

You will love Blue Osa if you like Family Style meals (delicious, mostly vegetarian, meals). You will also love Blue Osa if you love Family Style living, (be grateful for what the "family" is offering you, obey "the family's" rules, praise Blue Osa as the best experience you have ever had, etc). You will also be delighted by Blue Osa's family dogs (four of them) and cats (two) that roam the public areas and the dinner hall. If you are a romantic couple, don't expect a table-for-two at Blue Osa, the family likes you to mingle with other guests at dinner (they do a random napkin ring toss every night to determine who dines with whom). Yes, you can always request to be seated at the same dinner table as your honey.

Blue Osa's food is delicious indeed -- it is inspired by the wonderful French Chef Maria. Food is served four times a day at Blue Osa; a very light breakfast starts the day (Granola and fresh fruit), brunch comes in mid morning, a snack in the afternoon, then dinner in the evening. Mealtimes are fixed, a bell rings at mealtime then food is usually gone within 30 minutes, so don't be late. No food is served, or sold, at Blue Osa between these four daily meals -- and the nearest town is 30 minutes away (Blue Osa charges $40 Round-trip, per person, to take you to town)

If you enjoy an open menu, open breakfast, open lunch, and open dinner times, then you will like Aqua Dulce. Aqua Dulce serves a full hot breakfast (including fresh fruit) from 6am to 9am, and the restaurant is open for your pleasure all day until 10pm. If you like to eat until you are full then you will also like Aqua Dulce. The food is more ample, equally fresh, and much more varied (menu items include vegetarian, chicken, beef, fish, etc -- you can order your fish cooked four different ways!). Aqua Dulce's menu also includes snack food items like ice cream, chips, and sandwiches.

Both Blue Osa and Aqua Dulce honor diet restrictions. I am on a Low Cholesterol diet, so foods cooked with egg yokes are not suitable for me. Adam (Blue Osa's Owner) did his best to remind the Blue Osa kitchen to make me main dish substitutes with no egg yokes. Even with Adam's diligence, sometimes the kitchen forgot to provide alternatives to main courses that contain lots of egg yokes.

Again, Blue Osa and Aqua Dulce are like apples and oranges. If you like air conditioning in 93F+ humid weather then you will like Aqua Dulce. If you also like running (reliable) hot water then you will like Aqua Dulce (Blue Osa's sinks are not plumbed for hot water). Blue Osa is a pioneering Solar Energy experiment. This requires that ceiling fans be on timers, no air-conditioning, your hairdryer is prohibited, and water coming out of the faucet smells bad at times. Also, heavy diesel smell is in the air at times; that is when the diesel generator is on (because there is not enough power in the Solar Batteries). The diesel generator kicks in at any time (read "noise"), even during the designated "Quiet Meditative Times" in the early mornings.

All in all, Blue Osa and Aqua Dulce serve different clientele. Although both advertise as being "Resorts" and "Retreats", these words do not mean the same for everyone. (By the way, both Blue Osa and Aqua Dulce provide similar excursions into the neighboring area. Both have a wonderful endless beachfront to walk, to collect shells, swim, watch beautiful birds, and enjoy). We had a great time at Aqua Dulce, costing us about $100 per person per day, including drinks at both lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building, above the kitchen. Hot water in plentiful in that building, plus...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SamGebala
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Hi Sam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and convey such a comprehensive review.

It is always very insightful to hear the perspective of a guest and how they enjoy Blue Osa. It gives us really good information to choose the things we want to change and keep.

We also really appreciated the time you took to compare us to Agua Dulce. We are both very different in that we service a very different clientele. Thank you for taking the time to point out these differences.

The one difference I did want to enunciate is our commitment to the environment and in being an eco-friendly hotel. We are completely off the grid use only the energy we draw on from the sun and occasionally the generator. Guests can feel good about the fact that they will leave a very small carbon footprint at Blue Osa.

Blessings on your journey,
Yogi Aaron
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at Blue Osa for three nights with my boyfriend. When we landed at PJM, a Blue Osa staff member was waiting for us. The drive to Blue Osa was quick, about 15-20 minutes.

Upon our arrival, we were shown to the main office/lodge with a beautiful ocean-view only steps from the beach. All activities and daily schedules are written on a board outside the main office the night before. The yoga studio was the most beautiful place for practice I have ever seen! It is open-air and overlooks the ocean. However, if you, like us, are not there for a yoga retreat, I would highly recommend planning activities and tours immediately. With the necessary transport it can get a bit expensive but it's definitely worth it! The guide, Theo, is amazing! He is so knowledgable of the land and is a great guy. We had a lovely experience horseback riding through the jungle with him.

All meals are prepared by French chef Marie and her staff, who make 4 family style snacks/meals a day. A bell is rung at mealtime so that anywhere on the property you know that it is time to come and eat. Food is only available during these specific times so it is important to listen for the bell. Meals take place at the open-air lodge, with open seating except dinner is set with name places. The food was good and there were always healthy options. Also, filtered water is only available at the lodge. The pitchers are also refilled, but I would highly recommend bringing a large insulated water bottle to keep with you during daily activities.

The whole staff was kind and friendly. The owners, Dave and Erin, were very helpful and a pleasure to get to know. The gardener, Laura, is doing an amazing job growing their in-house food supply and bringing Blue Osa closer to being self-sufficient.

Overall, I had a very memorable experience and enjoyed being so close to the beach. I loved the pristine beach and peaceful atmosphere. It is a great place to practice yoga and would be wonderful for solo travelers. It is a very communal environment, much like a sophisticated camp for adults. So I would highly recommend visiting Blue Osa if you are looking for community living and interested in meeting new people.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I went to Blue Osa for a yoga retreat. This was my first time visiting Costa Rica, and my first time on a yoga retreat! Blue Osa is truly a special, magical place. Aaron and Adam hold the space for the perfect yoga retreat getaway. I had an amazing experience at Blue Osa. I felt peaceful, happy. inspired during my stay. Michael the general manager, and all of the staff were wonderful! I will definitely be back to visit my Blue Osa family!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

"It's Christmas Eve and I'm flying from San Juan to Puerto Jimenez on Nature Air -- literally over a rainbow -- to share Christmas with my Blue Osa family! Feeling so blessed."

I discovered Blue Osa on a personal wellness retreat in August, 2013, and was captivated by the serene setting hotel proprietors Aaron and Adam created. So much so, that after I re-charged my batteries in August, I returned for the Yoga Teacher Training with Yogi Aaron in October-November 2013; and returned again for Christmas.

From the impeccable attention to detail in the guest rooms, to the meticulous grounds and gardens, and spectacular food - Blue Osa is more than a hotel or yoga retreat center, it is one of those special places on the globe that I am honored to call "home." I invite anyone who is looking to find what they need to "go home" to experience Blue Osa.

Namaste,
Seann

Room Tip: Karma, Room 7 or 9!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

My teacher training at blue osa is one that will never be forgotten. It has opened my eyes to a whole new perception of life. Yogi Aaron really has his way with words and he knew from day one that every person would leave blue osa and learn at least one important lesson. During my one month stay i had good and bad days but it was all part of my journey and I appreciate every moment And every challenge I had to face. I met so many wonderful people and had an overall life changing experience at blue osa it will always hold a special place in my heart. The service and hospitality at blue osa was great. The food was exceptional and was always prepared with so much love. Truly a great experience thank you blue osa:)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Y0gaj0
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We were treated royally at the Blue Osa. A warm welcome from the staff, fantastic meals, spacious room, well maintained and beautiful grounds, and more, helped make this a very pleasant and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 45 in Osa Peninsula
Crocodile Bay Resort
Crocodile Bay Resort
#5 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!