“Blue Osa is a Paradise for all.”

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Booked my return to Blue Osa and can't wait to see the crew again. This will be my second visit and my wife's third. Aaron is a wonderful host that put a smile on our face each day. The attentive nature of the crew at this resort was very similar to the level I receive at the Four Seasons Hotel Group.

This is a 5 star "eco" resort in my opinion and with the amount of corporate travel I do each year, I wholeheartedly believe that Blue Osa is the true way to relax and rebuild.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Recently stayed at Blue Osa for a yoga retreat. The yoga program itself was managed by an outside vendor so I can't comment on any yoga that may be offered exclusively by resort. The location itself was lovely and very blisfful. A bit of plane, trains and automobiles to get there but worth it..if you want to get off the grid and escape from the world. Wi-Fi was really good when I did need to get online. The food was delicious and the kitchen staff are very accommodating and friendly. The staff does their best but I do think the resort needs a more formal conceirge of sorts. Michael has just been put in the role but it feels like he's either overwhelmed or has had no instruction on what he should do to make the guests stay the best it can be. The co-owner Aaron could have been less defensive when we provided input on areas that needed some fine tuning or modification. I think if he looked at the resort more as a business vs. pet project...and that people were staying in his home and should just be grateful to be there... it would make a big difference. Upon check out he could have also thanked us for being there vs. totally ignoring us and asking us to come back again. He may be fine with one time guests as his business model. Overall, good experience.

Room Tip: Rooms were really clean and well maintained. Doesn't expect hot shower - I guess it's a cul...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tiny_Bubbles007
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Tiny Bubbles,

We welcome the feedback and reviews which we receive when they are offered in a helpful spirit like this review. We also are grateful for all those who do make the journey (plane, train, and auto) to Blue Osa since part of the experience is being at a remote location on a jungle beach. As we host hundreds of guest every season and as people are all individuals, we cannot always guarantee that every guest will mesh with every member of our staff, but we always make the effort to create the environment whereby all of our guests are able to meet, connect and enjoy our staff.

One thing that we believe in without reservation is the value of our local staff and Michael exemplifies the intelligence, grace, and wit that anyone would want in an employee. Over and over we hear how much our guests enjoy the people who work here and are able to see the mutual respect and affection that the staff has for the owners of Blue Osa and our guests.

Adam

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Let me just say I really loved Blue Osa. But there are going to be people who won't be as pleased. Good points: Miles of beautiful and natural beach to yourself. You may wake to howler monkeys like we did on one morning and see gorgeous scarlet macaws fly overhead. The food was wonderful and this is coming from someone who dislikes vegetables. I was never hungry. The morning silence is a perfect way to get the day started and the partially open-air yoga studio is amazing. You can hear the birds cry and the sound of the ocean as you practice.

Negatives: I don't like air conditioning so this didn't bother me as much as it might bother others, but it did get very hot and sticky at night. Our room (9) was also partially open near the top, which meant we had more bugs (not a lot) and geckos than other rooms.

All in all, I really thought the overall vibe and amenities were perfect for a yoga retreat. It was not a luxury resort with air conditioning and a tv, but that somehow made the journey better for me. Pay careful attention to excursion descriptions and ask questions. For example, we were taken on a mid-day hike and saw no animals. A lot of the walking was through a stream and on thin trails. Some people weren't informed and wore tennis shoes, which was not the ideal footwear for this adventure. In addition, our boat trip to the animal sanctuary included a tour of the area (which was fine), but some people would have packed bathing suits if they had known.

Room Tip: Our room (9) was older. There were also rooms under the yoga studio that may not work for others as...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank janiac61
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Blue Osa is a clean, beautifully designed and decorated retreat location. The yoga studio, spa rooms, acupuncture service and food are above average to say the least. The feeling you get at Blue Osa is one of restorative, nurturing and calm well being. The staff is excellent!.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Melanie M
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I won't repeat everyone else's praise of blue Osa, except to say that I whole heartedly agree. It is truly a magical place. Food, beach , sunsets, swimming, yoga space..all outstanding. We had planned a trip to a wildlife sanctuary only to find a flat tire just as we were ready to leave. One of the staff interrupted what he was doing to drive us into P.J. to meet up with the boat. And then Aaron brought our tire to town the next day to get it fixed and wouldn't even let us pay him back for the expense. It is worth the drive to Corcovado national park, (about an hour drive), if you won't get there another time during your trip. The Blue Osa staff can arrange it for you. We loved the trip to the wildlife sanctuary and saw many dolphins on the boat ride over.

Room Tip: Some rooms are close to the road, and traffic starts early, I.e 4:30 am. The ceiling fans make slee...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Eikitom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I was fortunate to stay at Blue Osa for almost a month this February and wish I could have packed up all my belongings and moved there permanently :) I was there as a volunteer photographer and loved every minute of my time there. This place is paradise!

The retreat space and buildings - Beautiful, clean and spacious :) The yoga deck is quite large, with huge open windows looking out to the ocean. During class, you can hear the waves crashing on the beach! The rooms (which I had the chance to photograph) are great - perfect size, clean, zen-like decor and again, lots of windows for beautiful light. The dining area is open concept, beautifully decorated, quite large and looks out onto the lawn of the property. Rocking chairs line the dining area and you can rock while you drink your coffee while the sun rises or sets. The outdoor pool is an amazing feature of Blue Osa - a vivid blue with warm water surrounded by relaxing lounge chairs, a comfy pavilion and the spa. The beach is a 30 second walk from anywhere at Blue Osa and has the warmest waters I've ever swam in. You can take a dip anytime of the day or take advantage of the beach itself for long walks.

The staff - friendly and very talented! Always smiling and ready to help :)

The food - out of this world amazing! There is a selection of yummy dishes at every meal - the chefs are top notch! Breakfasts usually consisted of several types of tropical fruits, homemade granola and eggs or pancakes. Lunch was yummy soup and a flavourful dishes (beans, veggies, tortillas, etc.). Dinner meal (served with candle light) was always a fresh salad, veggies dishes, a main dish (like Pad Thai, coconut encrusted mahi mahi or chicken and rice), beans, and a yummy dessert. At their bar they also offer for purchase wine, beer, smoothies and speciality tropical cocktails which are worth the flight alone!

I will be heading back to Blue Osa at the next possible chance and would recommend it to anyone looking for a peaceful and beautiful place to get your yoga on and to relax at the same time. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I did a week yoga retreat at Blue Osa (one with Gayle Olson from Exotic Yoga Retreats) and it was the best thing ever! Not only the yoga classes were great and I learned a lot, Blue Osa is an amazing place for a retreat like that - right on a private beach where the sunrise is just spectacular. Trust me, you will want to wake up so early every single morning as it's a must do while here. The Blue Osa staff made my stay unforgettable and their Costa Rican ''pura vida'' just made my day every day. Aw, and the cuisine! OMG, so delicious. You kind of get addicted to all the fresh fruit, veggies and tasty meals at Blue Osa. I highly recommend to get some spa treatments with Marcela and Laura, such as chocolate massage or aloe vera wrap. You should also try the acupuncture and Chinese medicine healing done by Koji who is a master and was able to cure my joints after an accident I had years ago. Thumbs up also for organic soaps, solar panels and no chlorine in the pool. I will never forget the yoga room with the sea views, nor the birds, butterflies, monkeys and iguanas around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Luna Lodge
#1 of 1 in Carate
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Crocodile Bay Resort - An All-Inclusive Resort

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!