“The PERFECT place to stay!”
Review of Cabinas Tropicales

Cabinas Tropicales
Ranked #4 of 13 Puerto Jimenez B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We have been here in 2013 and had a really good time. This was the highlight of our 3-week Costa Rica trip. Mark is very nice and helpful. He never gets tired of giving you information about the area and the country. The room was in perfect condition and very big too. For the prices here you get an amazing room and also the big outdoor-kitchen is a nice place to cook, eat and sit together. We really felt like home here and can recommend this place!

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in total at Cabinas Tropicales and they were so good. Good hospitality and mark (the owner) was great company too. Within walking distance of the main road, shops and restaurants. It was a great way to spend my time in puerto Jiménez and I would highly recommend it to anybody who wants a good place to stay for a good price. 5 stars.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

So glad we stayed here - Mark was great and super helpful. There is a nice kitchen that is open for use, the garden area is well maintained and he puts out fruit that attracts birds. We saw great birds right outside our door! He gave us good restaurant recommendations and we were able to leave our things here while we trekked into Corcorvado for 3 days. Super comfy beds, AC, nice shower with hot water. What more can you ask for?

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Marc's Cabinas Tropicales is the best place to stay before and after getting to Corcovado. Marc and Lee were very nice, talkative and helpful. We had a comfortable and clean room (probably the cleanest place we've been in Costa Rica). Marc even invited us for dinner one night. He seems to know a lot about fishing as well. Bikes were available too, and his recommendations for places to eat or drink in the town are ok. Nice atmosphere and a beautiful garden.

1  Thank Jack S
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

The owner Mark was very helpful and nice. We (my wife snd I) stayed in a room with an amazing outdoor shower, the best shower we had on our trip :) the price is reasonable, and the place is very clean.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Don´t bother reading any more reviews- JUST BOOK IT!

OK, some reasons to stay here:

Mark cannot do enough to help you...
1. I left my boots on the plane- he sent his son to collect them before I had chance to!
2. I had some questions about my tour (not organised through him)- he called the guide directly on his mobile so I could talk to him.
3. I was hungry and too tired to cook- he phoned the pizza place to order a yummy pizza that was delivered really quickly.
4. I was completely lost in San Jose (over 300km away!!) - I phoned him and he tried to help by looking for my San Jose hotel on the internet, even looking on their facebook site and other booking sites!!! Now, THAT is service!
5. He offered so much advice about my trip, invaluable source of local info!
6. He told me where to find crocodiles and caiman only 5 minutes walk away from the hotel.
7. He lent me a bike for free to cycle round.the little town.
8. He called Osa Shuttle for me to check my shuttle was running the next day.
9. Hé`s super friendly and likes to talk a lot!

The rooms
1. I slept better here than anywhere else in my previous 4 weeks travelling.
2. Comfy beds
3. Clean rooms, simple but clean.
4. Hardly any mosquitoes and I was there in rainy season. I think if you stayed somewhere nearer the water you would be eaten alive!
5. Air conditioning was amazing- my river soaked boots were dry by the next morning because of the airconditioning unit.
6. The showers are awesome- best pressure for my entire trip and very hot if you want it hot. I had a 20 minute long shower because they were so good!
7. Big towels provided
8. You can leave bags when you go into the park hiking/ camping.
9. As a single female traveller, I felt 100% safe here.

The place:
1. Supermarket next door, main street only a short bike ride/ walk away.
2. Fridge, microwave, full kitchen with everything you need
3. Gorgeous flowers and big garden with comfy seats, sofa and hammocks
4. Super friendly atmosphere.
5. Well signed from the lancha- very easy to find. Next to airport.
6. Washing line and hose to clean muddy boots!
7. Big TV
8. Outdoor communal area with candles at night, cut flowers, gorgeous birds feeding on the fruit he puts out every day
9. It´s great value.

Seriously, why are you still reading?! Everyone gives it awesome reviews and they are completely justified. JUST BOOK IT!

Thanks Mark, I´ll be back! x

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This place was one of the greatest! It was pouring rain when we arrived at the bus station in Puerto Jimenez and everyone in town seemed to know the owner Mark. So they called him for me and he sent a cab to pick us up so we didn't have to walk in the rain. When we arrived he greeted us with true Pura Vida spirit and made us each a cup of coffee and told us where we could get some food. Also, due to the rain, we wanted wine but did not want to get drenched to get it. So Mark knew the guy that would deliver it to the hotel and called him up and ordered our Cabernet for us. BEST EVER! We had a great night hanging out with Mark and swapping stories of Costa Rica. Went for a night swim in the nearby ocean once the rain stopped, and drank some Imperials at the cantina right by the beach. My shower was hot, my room was air conditioned and I slept great. I would not even look to stay anywhere else when I return to Puerto Jimenez. Thank you, Mark!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends