“The best fishing trip I have ever been on”

Crocodile Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Boerne, Texas
“The best fishing trip I have ever been on”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

I have gone to Crocodile bay 3 years in a row. I have fished in Cancun, Cabo San Lucas several times, Acapulco, Florida, Alaska, and extensively along the Texas, coast. The first time I took this trip I was blown away at how good it was which prompted me to go back over the last two years. I fly to San Jose and after going through customs there is always someone waiting with our parties name ready to load our luggage and take us to our hotel in San Jose for the night. That individual has always been at our disposal to help us in any way we want with dinner arangements, shopping or whatever. They pick us up in the morning and take us through the process of getting us on a plane to Puerto Jimenez on the Oso Peninsula via Nature Air Airlines. Taking a small engine plane at lower altitude through the mountains and along the coast of Costa Rico is a treat on its own. When we land 7-7:30am we are again greeted by staff of Crocodile Bay and taken to the resort to check in. Waiting at the front desk is a local tropical frozen drink and a small card for me to fill out. The drink can can have alcohal added to it if you like. The organization of the resort is outstanding. We get changed and then fish that same day. On our tripple tower Strike 33 Diesel were off for bay or deep sea fishing at our request.. The boat is fully loaded with more food and drinks than we could ever eat on the 8 hour trip. They make sure there is no way that you will run out of food, drinks, bait, or fun. The fishing is great. Boats are clean, equipment is well maintained, and crews are knowledgable and professional. When we return we shower up hit the pool eat some apitizers, have a few drinks and get ready for dinner. There is a spa on site as well. Crocodile bay offers more activities then I have used first hand. I primarily fish. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There are no tv's, radio's which I prefer. We get a large room that sleeps 4. The airconditioner can freeze you out or you can keep it warm if you prefer. These rooms are not "Resort" style like a Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton etc. They are basic but very clean and comfortable with large Veranda's both top and bottom that allow for good conversation with friends at the end of the night. In the morning we do breakfast around 6:30 am. Basically they will make whatever you want. We have been when they have the breakfast buffet and have ordered from the menu. The food is primarily local cuisine with fresh fish available daily. This is one of my favorite parts of the trip because I enjoy there food so much. The service is always excellent. Dinner is the same. Each day the staff will come by and take your order for what you want on the boat to eat the next day, fresh water melon, mango, pinnaple, roast beef sandwiches, water, chips, cookies, beer, a bottle of vodka with limes, whatever you want. And again, they give you enough that you will never run out. This place is a first case fishing operation. This would not be the appropriate place to have a Ritz Carlton experience but if you want to get off the beaten path, are an avid salt water fisherman, want to do jungle tours and see what Southwestern Costa Rica is like it is an excellent choice.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Xterra99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
mugzsm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

About four years ago my friends and I made an agreement to have an annual fishing trip to different locations throughout the world. Costa Rica, Crocodile Bay, was our first stop. We have been back each year since. The lure of visiting different locations was overcome with the great fishing, service and spirit at Crocodile Bay. From the molment you step of the plane in San Jose, you know your going to have a great trip. Being in a different country you expect to have some trial and error. Not here. They pick you up at the airport and lead you in the right direction until your flight back home. We have often discussed that even if the fishing wasn't great, which it is, we would come back for the hospitality. The people working at Crocodile Bay want to be there and it shows. The food is outstanding as well. I can go on and on about the fishing. It almost seems unfair. It's like an aquarium teeming with sails, roosterfish, snapper and Mahi to name a few. Accommodations (great), fishing (great), food (great), service and hospitality (great). I would recommend this trip to anyone and we will certainly be back again.

Thanks Crocodile Bay

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank mugzsm
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2010

This was my second trip to Crocodile Bay with my wife. This time we took the kids because we loved it so much the first time. The fishing is top notch. As a father, can you imagine getting to see your sons catch a marlin and a sail fish in the same day? That is a memory I'll always treasure. The captin and mate on the boat were great with the kids and my wife loved them. To watch them work together to make our trip sucessful was a joy.

The food was great each meal. I think I miss the fresh fish and pineapple the most. The staff are all friendly and out going. I look forward to going back and seeing employees that had become friends by the end of the week,

There is nothing like watching the macaws fly over while in the hot tub after a long day of fishing or eco touring. From the time we stepped of the plan in San Jose until we went thru security to go back home, Crocodile Bay employees took great care of us. I look forward to my next trip and making many more unforgetable memories.

To the guy that took his wife on a honeymoon to a fishing lodge, Really??? Where will you take your next wife on her honeymoon? Maybe a sports camp.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mwicard
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

Fishing is the main focus here although the other activities are nice. Clean rooms, beautiful spa, nice staff, good food. The fishing staff is professional and quite serious about catching fish.

Puerto Jimenez is a small town - don't expect big night life.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank jonroger
Coconut Creek, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

After reading the other TripAdvisor postings on Crocodile Bay Lodge we decided to choose it for our honeymoon location in Costa Rica. I now have to question the validity of these postings and wonder if they were real guests. As it turns out we were misled from the beginning. Why? Because after the disastrous stay and our departure from this place, every person we spoke with in our travels in Costa Rica after leaving (including waiters, tour guides, taxi drivers, and others) all stated that CBL is good for guys going fishing. It is NOT a place for a honeymooners, families with kids, or couples. Everyone in the country seemed to know about CBL, and I found no one who said otherwise. If I had this knowledge prior, I would have saved myself and my wife a lot of trouble and never booked with them.

What we found is that the location is remote and isolating and not congruent for a honeymoon, nor would I recommend it for families with kids or couples. The rooms are poor when it comes to privacy as the curtains do not fully close and the neighbors can clearly be heard through the walls throughout the day and night (if you get my drift). There are not even real doors to the room, but sliding glass doors instead. The beds were hard and small for a 6 foot 2 inch guy and his 5 foot 6 inch tall wife to fit in comfortably. We also found a complete lack of things to do on site when you're not on a tour. The scenery is not what we would have thought at the edge of a rain forest as it seems to be a farm or plantation that was cleared of trees and a cinder block budget motel was plopped down on top of it. We were hoping to have a hotel that was at least more comfortable that our own bedroom instead of less.

Next was their pricing, which I regrettably should have researched prior to the trip. After we decided to leave and abort our stay at Crocodile Bay, we stayed at two four star resorts, Xandari Hotel on the Pacific and the Xandari Hotel in the Central Valley. Not only was the scenery amazing, the food delicious, the rooms incredibly beautiful and comfortable, but it ended up costing us HALF the price per person per day of the awful Crocodile Bay. Got it??? HALF THE PRICE!!! And what did we get for paying DOUBLE per person per day as CBL when compared to the four star resort? We got a budget style motel with cinder block walls where we could hear EVERYTHING coming from our neighbor's room, food that was tasteless, grounds that left nothing to do when not on a tour, and last but not least my wife crying at the table because she was so unhappy. Nice trip.

Go to Costa Rica. Get to know the wonderful people there. See the amazing beauty of the landscape. Take the eco tours to get up close with the wildlife. Just stay somewhere else than Crocodile Bay.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank FloridianChuck
crocodilesmile, Beau Williams Owner & Operator at Crocodile Bay Resort, responded to this review, 6 January 2010
While we respect and support everyone’s decision to decide how, when and where they spend their honeymoon, and also acknowledge that our product might not be right for everyone, I do not believe that FloridianChuck’s claim that he was “misled from the beginning” was fair, or even logical.

FloridianChuck claims that he was misled because local “waiters, taxi drivers, and tour guides” who he spoke with after leaving our hotel agreed with him when he said he did not think our hotel was a good place for his honeymoon. Instead of choosing to ask waiters or taxi drivers who have never been guests of our hotel if they think FloridianChuck would like to spend his honeymoon here, we usually provide all the information necessary regarding our operation in order for the potential client to make his or her own decision after taking into account their personal interests and priorities.

FloridianChuck feels that he was mislead because “our location is remote and isolating.” We feel that most reasonable people would agree that any resort located in the Primary Rainforest of the Central American Jungle would logically be away from large numbers of people or cities and hence would be “remote and isolated.” We proudly advertise that our community has more monkeys than people.

The gentleman claims he was mislead because his room had sliding glass doors and did not like the size of his bed, when in fact the pictures of our rooms we have posted on our various websites are from the exact same building he stayed in and as he chose not to book the rooms that have King beds, he received a room with two American Queen beds.

FloridianChuck then goes on to take issue with our prices, and even goes so far as to imply that the many prior positive posts from our past guests on Tripadvisor were fraudulent. The only thing we can really say to that is that our operation provides 29 different eco tours through some of the most pristine rainforests in the world, our fleet of 40 boats is the largest fleet in all of Central America, our 5,000 square foot spa with its 33 different treatments was awarded by Healing Lifestyles and Spas Magazine as one of the Top 10 Winter Destination Spas in the World, we are Orvis endorsed and Cabelas certified, we have been featured on 45 different television shows, appeared in more than 20 magazine articles and have a 40% client return rate.

While we are saddened that FloridianChuck was not happy at our resort, we do respect his opinion, just as we respect the other opinions of the thousands of satisfied clients we have had the pleasure to work with in our past 11 years of operation.

Beau Williams
Owner and Operator
Crocodile Bay Resort
mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

I am a fisherman my family is not. Crocodile Bay had something for everyone...fishing for me , SPA for my wife, and innumeral eco trips for everyone. Staff makes or breaks any trip ...this is the best staff I have seen anywhere. Food tremendous and never off the tipical steam table buffet...you order what you want and as much as you want off a large menu. We plan on going back every year !!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank cjoutdoor
Weeping Water, NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2009

My brother Jim and I stayed at the lodge March 7th to the 13th. We raised over 40 sailfish and landed 18 of them in 5 days of fishing offshore. We also raised 5 Marlin which we caught one Blue Marlin and one Black Marlin. We fished inshore on day and caught some Jacks and one rooster fish of around 25 lbs. The place is first class and was beyone our expectations. Can't say on negative thing. The spa was excellent the food was great the staff wonderful. Our captain was Chepe and his first mate was Manuel. They were excellent!! We thought so much of Manuel we let him catch a sailfish on the last day of our trip. We also used a snorkle mask and fins the lodge supplied us with and we caught some great photo's of the fish being released in the open water. Manuel even tried that on my Black Marlin release. He thought is was very cool. They had never done that before. This is truly the best fishing trip we have ever been on. We have been to alot of different spots in the world and this one was the best so far! Just remember Life is short, have no regrets!! Go Fishing!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
#1 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez
La Chosa del Manglar
La Chosa del Manglar
#7 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Crocodile Bay Resort? Share your experiences!