“Our 4th visit ...Crocodile Bay continues to please!”

Crocodile Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Oregon
“Our 4th visit ...Crocodile Bay continues to please!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2010

We arrived in late January & returned home in February from another stellar vacation experience at Crocodile Bay. We've traveled in many countries, but CB continues to rank in the top 2% for beautiful, genuine hospitality & professional, non-pretentious service.

The PEOPLE are reason enough to return to Crocodile Bay, but when you add the abundance of Osa wildlife (just walking around the lodge grounds is amazing); a wide variety of knowledgeable & fun eco-tours; a luxurious, modern spa (and I'm not normally a spa girl); and the absolutely out of this world fishing opportunities, it's crazy to even consider going elsewhere.

This year, despite effects of El Nino, the catch included a huge tuna, multiple sailfish & dorado, a couple huge roosterfish, jack cravelles and other inshore species.

Outside of the "catching experience" of being on the water in their fleet of immaculate, well-maintained Boston Whalers, our forways into the gulf & ocean included numerous dolphin escorts, flying fish, leaping rays, sea turtles, an orca whale giving birth (we kept our distance), and a humpback whale coming to the surface only 50 meters away from the boat... going out to fish with their experienced captains is an ecotour in itself!

Cool, airconditioned rooms are impeccable; the pool & swim up bar was enjoyed by all, and the view of scarlet macaws and squirrel monkeys from laid back leather rocking chairs on our shady covered porch was most enjoyable.

Crocodile Bay continues to "rock" ... we'll be back.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Huntington, MA USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2010

Wow...where to start! My brother and I both traveled to Crocodile Bay Lodge for a fishing trip to celebrate his 40th birthday. I'm a relatively experienced traveler, with frequent trips to the DR (Punta Cana), Mexico (Manzanillo and Playa del Carman), Bahamas, Turks, Barbados, Jamaica and Nevis. I'll tell you that Costa Rica beats all of them as a destination, and Crocodile Bay Lodge was an exceptional place to stay while visiting this beautiful country. The lodge itself is adequately staffed, with an appropriate level of amenities. It is not a 5 star resort by any means, but we were very comfortable with plenty to do. The meals were all excellent, particularly the fresh fish each night. You can walk to Puerto Jimenez for some local flavor (beach-front bars and restaurants, great gift shops, etc...). The number and diversity of tours available were incredible! On our off-fishing day, we elected to visit a local plantation and fish farm. Recieved the tour directly from the farmer which added to the experience (my brother speaks pretty good spanish, which helped immensely).

The fishing was moderately good while we were there. The offshore scene was slow, but inshore made up for it. The roosterfish and jacks are excellent fighters on 20 lb tackle, and we caught more than our share. We even fished from their pier a few evenings when we got in, and caught jacks right from the surf (on kastmasters and white poppers). We each brought a 17 lb travel spinning outfit with us for the surf, which proved to be a bit light. Those jacks nearly spooled us twice, and these were the 10 pounders! If we had caught a 20 pound jack or rooster from the dock, we surely would have lost them. The boats, mates and tackle are all top notch, and you won't be disappointed. Shade is limited on the smaller Boston Whalers, which makes you apply (and re-apply) sunscreen all day. You'll enjoy catching your own live bait in the AM before heading to the fishing grounds. Light spinning outfits with 8 gold hooks and a small weight. We were catching 3-7 sardines and goggle-eyes at a time, with an occasional blue runner too. Twice, while landing the bait we had a bonito take the rig. We landed them on the small hooks...incredible fight on a light outfit (bonito are everywhere!).

Fishing is organized by Todd Staley who we had the privelidge of speaking to each day. He's one of a kind and we really appreciated his debriefing of all of the fishermen each day. The "board" was a nice touch at the lodge, listing the boats/anglers/catch from each day. Of course, it's located in the bar where you can have a cold Imperial beer while checking out the day's results. I loved the bar....and the barmaids even more. We were fortunate to be on a first-name basis with most of the staff by the end of the week.

The front desk is run by our good friend Olympia, who we came to adore during our short time there. If only we could all be so cheerful on a daily basis. She is one of the many problem solvers at the lodge, and is there to help with nearly anything related to the lodge (beyond the fishing department).

Our guide for our non-fishing day was Dennis; one of the three people conducting the travel and tours. Very educated and helpful with all of the natural resources of the area. We really enjoyed having him along on our tour of the plantation, as he is very knowledgeable on soils, plants, botany, etc.... Thanks again Dennis!!

Finally, there's the other guests in the hotel. I guess since we're fishermen, we get along with other fish-crazy people. But, I think it goes beyond that. We met a class of ladies and gentlemen that were truly a joy to speak to. My brother and I are not shy, and go out of our way to talk to others. Everyone was friendly and talkative.

If you're not going to fish, and just want a beach experience, do not go to Crocodile Bay. While you can definitely find beaches in the area, this lodge is a better base for fishing and eco-tours. Since it's directly adjacent to the Town and the airport, it's a great jumping-off point for areas on the Osa Peninsula. The grounds are very quiet (if you dont mind the racket the birds make each morning) and safe. In fact, walking by yourself through the town at any time of day is quite safe; something I would not say for Jamaica or the Bahamas.

Thanks a lot Crocodile Bay for a wonderful vacation. We hope to be back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Damfarm
Denia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

We stayed here for a week as part of the celebration of my husbands' 50th birthday. He went there to fish, I went there to explore & relax but ended up fishing one day which was one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had. The bird & animal life in & around the lodge is abundant so you don't even need to go on an Eco-tour to find it. Their spa is wonderful too & the quality & quantity of the food excellent. We would have liked a bit more variety in the evening buffet but you could not fault the quality or the service. The picnic lunches are amongst the best I have seen. Even on a half-day tour you are provided with a variety of cold drinks fresh fruit & snacks.
It's a very laid back atmosphere so dressing up is not necessary. In fact you can survive with very little clothes as they have an excellent laundry srvice.
We were up most mornings by 5.00am so in bed by 8-8.30pm. You can go out to the nearby town in the evening but we were happy to relax in the bar or sit on our veranda listening to the wildlife.The bedrooms are lodge style (4 in a group) with the best ones being the upper ones. There were simply furnished but very comfortable.
The staff were lovely - very welcoming & friendly. Excellent service throughout.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeniaIrishColleen
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

The Crocodile Bay is truly paradise. The birding was the best and the fishing was stellar. Relaxation at the Spa and at the resort itself is easy. On our first day we caught 8 Rooster Fish and a large Jack. Our Captain Mauricio, was great, he helped us as much as we needed and encouraged us to bring them in and instructed us when necessary. The second day my spouse went fishing while I spent the day at the spa and birding around the resort grounds. A guide was available to help me to identify plants and to show me where the Cayman was napping. Each staff member was friendly, and went out of their way to make our trip special. Everyone addressed us by name and we felt as though we were old friends.
We will be making this a repeat destination for sure.

I would highly recommend the SPA to everyone. It is world class. I’ve traveled to many spas, and have had regular massages for over 20 years - this by far was the best experience I’ve ever had. The spa was beautiful, comforting, peaceful and truly rejuvenating. The therapists/estheticians were extremely professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. True talent in their hands! I hated to leave!

The food was incredible, plentiful, delicious and fresh. The wait staff was pleasant and nurturing. The wine flowed freely and we left the dining area fully satisfied and always pleased.

Dennis our bird guide was the icing on the already delicious cake. He knew the birds well, and knew the areas to go birding even better. He was fun, humorous and smart. We appreciated his easy go with the flow attitude. We especially appreciated how hard he worked to find birds for us, and when we found a great cluster of birds, he extended our tour time for several hours to accommodate our insatiable appetite for seeing even more birds and even changed our massage appointments for that evening since we were going to be late.

If you are tired of the typical bird tours, this is the answer to your doldrums. Tropical birding at its best!! Something for everyone - relax, bird, fish, swim in the pool, get a massage or play a game in the indoor gaming area. This resort has everything and is kid friendly too!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Petaluma, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

We had a fantastic time at Crocodile Bay. This has been one of the best vacations we have taken. The service and hospitality was beyond expected. Their dedicated staff and the service they provide is unreal. They show a true passion for the work that they do. Always making sure you are having a great time. If you like fish – you will love fish here because it is so fresh. We recommend the ceviche and the breaded fish filets and the Pina Coladas!! yum. Just imagine waking up each morning to sounds of toucans, macaws, monkeys and how about an iguana sun bathing by your balcony.

There were 11 of us on this trip, not one of us was left out. There is an eco tour for everyone. We enjoyed the zip line canopy, monkey tour, kayaking, and chocolate farm. For those of you who are fishing fanatics, fishing out in the open sea was amazing. One important tip – takes lost of sunscreen. The weather is hot and it’s humid. You will go through a lot of it. Also, make sure you take appropriate clothing not only for the warm weather but also for the eco tours you plan on taking as well as good hiking shoes. Then after a long day, you might want to consider a nice chocolate wrap massage at their wonderful spa. We left Crocodile Bay with great unforgettable experiences and new friends. Thanks again Crocodile Bay!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Boerne, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

I have gone to Crocodile bay 3 years in a row. I have fished in Cancun, Cabo San Lucas several times, Acapulco, Florida, Alaska, and extensively along the Texas, coast. The first time I took this trip I was blown away at how good it was which prompted me to go back over the last two years. I fly to San Jose and after going through customs there is always someone waiting with our parties name ready to load our luggage and take us to our hotel in San Jose for the night. That individual has always been at our disposal to help us in any way we want with dinner arangements, shopping or whatever. They pick us up in the morning and take us through the process of getting us on a plane to Puerto Jimenez on the Oso Peninsula via Nature Air Airlines. Taking a small engine plane at lower altitude through the mountains and along the coast of Costa Rico is a treat on its own. When we land 7-7:30am we are again greeted by staff of Crocodile Bay and taken to the resort to check in. Waiting at the front desk is a local tropical frozen drink and a small card for me to fill out. The drink can can have alcohal added to it if you like. The organization of the resort is outstanding. We get changed and then fish that same day. On our tripple tower Strike 33 Diesel were off for bay or deep sea fishing at our request.. The boat is fully loaded with more food and drinks than we could ever eat on the 8 hour trip. They make sure there is no way that you will run out of food, drinks, bait, or fun. The fishing is great. Boats are clean, equipment is well maintained, and crews are knowledgable and professional. When we return we shower up hit the pool eat some apitizers, have a few drinks and get ready for dinner. There is a spa on site as well. Crocodile bay offers more activities then I have used first hand. I primarily fish. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There are no tv's, radio's which I prefer. We get a large room that sleeps 4. The airconditioner can freeze you out or you can keep it warm if you prefer. These rooms are not "Resort" style like a Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton etc. They are basic but very clean and comfortable with large Veranda's both top and bottom that allow for good conversation with friends at the end of the night. In the morning we do breakfast around 6:30 am. Basically they will make whatever you want. We have been when they have the breakfast buffet and have ordered from the menu. The food is primarily local cuisine with fresh fish available daily. This is one of my favorite parts of the trip because I enjoy there food so much. The service is always excellent. Dinner is the same. Each day the staff will come by and take your order for what you want on the boat to eat the next day, fresh water melon, mango, pinnaple, roast beef sandwiches, water, chips, cookies, beer, a bottle of vodka with limes, whatever you want. And again, they give you enough that you will never run out. This place is a first case fishing operation. This would not be the appropriate place to have a Ritz Carlton experience but if you want to get off the beaten path, are an avid salt water fisherman, want to do jungle tours and see what Southwestern Costa Rica is like it is an excellent choice.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Xterra99
mugzsm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

About four years ago my friends and I made an agreement to have an annual fishing trip to different locations throughout the world. Costa Rica, Crocodile Bay, was our first stop. We have been back each year since. The lure of visiting different locations was overcome with the great fishing, service and spirit at Crocodile Bay. From the molment you step of the plane in San Jose, you know your going to have a great trip. Being in a different country you expect to have some trial and error. Not here. They pick you up at the airport and lead you in the right direction until your flight back home. We have often discussed that even if the fishing wasn't great, which it is, we would come back for the hospitality. The people working at Crocodile Bay want to be there and it shows. The food is outstanding as well. I can go on and on about the fishing. It almost seems unfair. It's like an aquarium teeming with sails, roosterfish, snapper and Mahi to name a few. Accommodations (great), fishing (great), food (great), service and hospitality (great). I would recommend this trip to anyone and we will certainly be back again.

Thanks Crocodile Bay

#1 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez
La Chosa del Manglar
La Chosa del Manglar
#7 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Crocodile Bay Resort? Share your experiences!