Cabinas Jimenez
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
La Chosa del Manglar Nature Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$44
Las Islas Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$78
Agua Dulce Beach Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$383
US$360
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfree kayaksgolfo dulcethe ownercoffee makerboat tourpoolside roomcosta ricasmall poolwater frontprivate deckair conditioninggreat place to staysaw dolphinsclose to towncorcovado national parkocean viewlaid back
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband, two adult children and myself stayed at Cabinas Jimenez for three nights. After being warmly greeted by Juan Carlos, we were directed to Ranchero #2, which was just like having our own little cottage overlooking the bay. Very well appointed room for a family, hot showers and impeccably clean. Bicycles and kayaks were also provided free of charge. We had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This isn’t a bad place to stay, but I would say that it could be a lot, lot better. We were lucky enough to have stayed in what I would consider the best room of the place. This is the first floor family room which had 3 double beds in total, a large balcony with views onto the bay with additional microwave oven, fridge, coffee percolator, some cutlery and plates/dishes. There is also a flat screen TV in the room which isn’t tuned in or the aerial is faulty so can’t be watched. The room’s info makes a jokey reference to the TV, saying that you shouldn’t be watching TV anyway and should be enjoying the outdoors. True, I say, so why not just take the TV away altogether, instead of letting it add to the clutter of the place like all the lamps there do.

The room itself was fine in that it was clean, spacious and in a great location. If you are the sort of person that can’t sleep if you hear ambient noise coming from somewhere, then you might not enjoy this room so much. The nature of the structure itself means that you can hear just about everything from your neighbours below. Including conversations, doors closing and most annoying for me was the sound of the ceiling fan below whirring throughout the night. These are issues however that cannot be easily addressed. The curtains in the main bedroom could also be better as well (where they existed). Some windows didn’t have any curtains on at all and light flooded straight onto the bed as soon as morning came. This was quite little annoying and could quite easily be rectified.

With regard to the grounds, then there is a small pool/large Jacuzzi which is nice and warm and relaxing. There are also free kayaks that you can make use of and if you’re lucky you might spot dolphins out in the bay like we did when we took them out.

One thing that I think they could improve on within the ‘complex’ of the place is communication and organisation. Boats trips can be arranged through Cabinas Jimenez as the owner has a boat which he uses for trips to the nearby animal sanctuary and includes a chance to spot dolphins, sharks and even whales. You also get a chance to do some snorkelling in a nearby reef. This is all good but the organisation of such trips leaves a lot to be desired. We were booked on one such trip, got up nice and early and was ready to set off when we were told it was cancelled. We asked why we wasn’t told the night before, and was told that a note was left for us. It turned out this note was in the reception area which we don’t go anywhere near to get to our particular room.

The trip was then re-arranged and this time we got onto the boat only to be told that we needed more people and wasn’t sure others would turn up. What John the owner doesn’t do is take money off people for the trip beforehand, thus giving them to option of not turning up. What he should do and what others in the same business do is get people to pay upfront, thereby guaranteeing they will turn up, and if they don’t the trip can still go ahead because money has been paid. Relying on people to turn up at 7am without having paid leaves an element of doubt for every boat trip. Again, something else that could be so easily rectified.

Generally speaking this was an OK place to stay. With some improvements they could make this better. Wi-Fi is also available in the reception area and I’m not sure about leaving messages around the room asking for tips for the cleaners either.

Room Tip: Ear plugs might be handy for the rooms in the building facing the bay.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
cabinasjimenez, Owner at Cabinas Jimenez, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Dear TravelPad, London, I was away on business.. so that is the reason for not responding sooner. Trip Advisor reviews are important to me. Thank you for your review. I have fixed the cable to the new flat screen. Also, about the noise from the other room above.....I actualy slept in your room, and you are correct about the noise. I have put new carpet runnners to cut down the noise. It seems to help alot. I also hung more curtains in the room. What happened to the ones I had...? is a mystery to me.... About my boat tour, for now on, I do collect a deposit, so that is doesn't ruin other persons plans , when someone cansels to go out in my boat. Thank you for all of your suggestion. John owner of Cabinas Jimenez, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica

Reviewed 20 April 2012

After traveling all over and having either only a fan or no cooling at all, it was such a relief to find clean, pleasant, well appointed lodgings with functional air conditioning! The room was pleasant and clean, and located directly on the bay. Combined with the swimming pool, there was plenty to keep our kids happy and content for our entire stay. The staff was warm and accommodating, and we had a wonderful time!

Reviewed 18 April 2012

After staying several nights at a hostel further north with cold showers and an anemic fan, this place was a relief. The AC quickly cooled the room, the shower wasn't a shock, and there was a small refrigerator in the room. Ah, if I had only remembered to turn it on! There are many good restaurants in walking distance as well as an ATM, a grocery store that also has an ice cream counter, and some small shops with inexpensive, Costa Rican hammocks for sale. The outdoor reception area was refreshing, partly thanks to the ceiling fans and thanks to the water cooler. The staff was friendly and helpful. After hitting up the ATMs too many times on this trip, it was a relief to have free kayaks available for a nice paddle trip into the mangroves.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the reception area are cheaper, but lack a porch.
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed 2 nights at Cabinas Jimenez prior to a trip to Saladero Lodge, across the Golfo Dulce. The room was clean, and the air conditioning worked just fine, all night long. The staff was very friendly. They allowed us to keep our rental car secured on their property while we were across the bay at Saladero, and they even gave us a ride to the dock the morning we checked checked out and left for Saladero. The beach in front of CJ is pretty sparse at low tide (basically a mud flat), and is really only usable at high tide. The pool in the courtyard is pretty small, but fine for smaller kids, or just for relaxing in. We could hear a bit of noise coming from nearby bars on Saturday night, but it was probably quieter than most of the mid-range priced lodging in Puerto Jimenez that was located more on the main waterfront street. This noise, which was mildly disturbing, was the only thing that kept me from giving an excellent rating (all relative to the reasonable price for the room). There are more expensive places to stay in PJ that are probably quieter.