“Good for the location”
Review of Cabinas Jimenez

Cabinas Jimenez
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We booked the #1 rancho room and enjoyed it. Having 3 people it slept us fine, with 3 beds in 2 rooms. This isn't a luxurious resort, but you are kind of in the middle of nowhere. In fact this town has only 1 paved road. We stayed here to visit Corcovado, and it worked OK. There's about a 1 hour road trip to the drop point, then another 45 minute walk to the park entrance. If doing it again we'd stay at Drake Bay and take the boat to the park entrance, saving a lot of time and energy. Still, this was a great adventure and Puerto Jimenez has some decent restaurants.

The room itself was fairly dirty - bugs, sand, etc. Again, you're in the wild, so it was tolerable. The room had good a/c and the wifi worked well when in range, which was limited. The best part of this stay by far was the ocean view balcony, and it was definitely the best room in the place. If going back we'd definitely take the same room.

The front desk staff spoke english very well and there was a water cooler to refill water bottles. We didn't drink the tap water but didn't ask if it was safe (which it probably is) since they had the water cooler. The pool here is nice but small. Overall, I probably wouldn't stay here again, but my sense of adventure and trying new places is a part of that. And, I still would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 May 2013

John and Cabinas Jimenez are both wonderful and inviting! My husband, teenage son and myself stayed for a week and enjoyed every minute of the beautiful place and wonderful staff! I cannot say enough great things about this place. We have been home for less then three weeks and I am already planning a trip back before years end. Thank John and Cabinas Jimenez for making our vacation the perfect dream <3

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I read good reviews about this place before booking, and set my expectations accordingly - and yet - it exceeded them!
Staff was super friendly, speaking English, helping with everything you might need. The location is great - right on the water (this is a bay, not really a beach to swim at), 2 minutes walikng from the main street on Puerto Jimenez (where you would go to eat since there is no food on site). The rooms have A/C and everything I needed. They were clean and quiet, always with hot water. The perks here include bikes and kayaks to use free of charge (and WiFi).
It was nice to have a nice sitting area at the "lobby" where you could chat with other guests when it rains and there is not much else to do. The swimming pool is small but clean and nice to sit next to if you just want to relax.
The staff can help you organize your tours, and I really recommend the boat tour that the owner (John) runs.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2013

John and Leah are great hosts. They have different rooms for different budgets, so it's easy to find a spot that fits. The rooms are quiet, clean, and air-conditioned. Also, they include the use of 6 kayaks and about 10 different bikes for free, first-come, first-serve. Beautiful location right on the bay, easy walk to the downtown area or to the waterfront for fresh ceviche. Also they offer a variety of reasonably-priced tours right out of their lobby. My favorite was the boat tour in search of dolphins, where not only did we spend 45 minutes with a pod of about 12 dolphins surfacing all around us, but also snorkeled, did the plane board behind the boat (you've got to try it! Unbelievable!) and saw capuchin monkeys in a tree near water's edge. Add to that the fact that they're always trying to help out in any way, and you've got one of the best lodgings in Puerto Jimenez.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I'm sitting on our waterfront patio and just had to write a revieww... immediately. This is really a wonderful place. I have stayed here a couple of times, both alone and as a couple, and would recommend it to anyone. Comfortable cute rooms, refreshing pool, beach bikes to explore the area, smiling staff, fast free internet.. John the owner has a really neat boat trip that is next on my list. Ready to come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before we did the Carate to La Sirena tour and then for four days after. we needed somewhere to relax at the end of our busy 3 week trip and this was just perfect. the rooms were immaculately clean and the plants and shrubs were well maintained. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful and helped create a nice ambience. im really glad that we were able to stay here for as long as we did it was a lovely place to unwind and the use of bikes and kayaks for free is an added bonus as is the pool.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I can't say enough how much we enjoyed our stay at Cabinas Jimenez. We stayed in the lower Rancho for one week (April 06-13th) which I really recommend. The private deck with views of the Golfo Dulce took our breath away. Every morning I watched the sunrise as I drank my coffee and listened to Macaws and other fabulous birds greet the new day. Sometimes I would open the door to the deck first thing in the morning and lay in bed just so I could listen to the waves. It was paradise.The The hotel staff was very helpful to us even before we arrived and helped to answer all our questions! Thank you so much to Leah, Maxine, Juan Carlos, Tom and all the other staff who made us feel so welcome. The staff at Cabinas Jimenez are top notch!!! I'd also like to extend a special thank you to John who took us out on his boat for a tour of the Golfo Dulce and the Animal Sanctuary. He was very informative and really tried to make the tour enjoyable for everyone. At first we didn't think we would see any dolphins but John didn't stop looking till we did. We really appreciated that. If you stay at Cabinas Jimenez for more then a night then you should definitely not pass up that opportunity. It was well worth it for the price we paid.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking for a clean, peaceful retreat. The gardens are immaculate, lush vegetation and beautiful palm trees everywhere. My daughter practically lived in the pool which we used every day. We are so thankful to have stayed there. The wonderful memories we have of Cabinas Jimenez will stay with us forever. We hope to return again one day!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
cabinasjimenez, Owner at Cabinas Jimenez, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you Julie for your wonderful Trip Advisor reveiw of Cabinas Jimenez.. It was my pleasure to take your family out in my boat., seeing the Pan Tropical Dolphins and using the " Dolphin Swimming Boards " . I am also happy that your daughter enjoyed the pool,bikes and Kayaks. I hope to see you and your family again, in the Osa Peninsula. John owner of Cabinas Jimenez

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Jimenez
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
Luna Lodge
Luna Lodge
#1 of 1 in Carate

Been to Cabinas Jimenez? Share your experiences!