“Breathtaking, Magnificent. A True Vacation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Iguana Lodge

Iguana Lodge
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Boulder, CO
“Breathtaking, Magnificent. A True Vacation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Iguana Lodge is truly one of those places that changes your outlook on vacations, the way in which you will travel, and what true beauty really is. From moment one of arriving, the staff is there to greet, make you at home, and truly be there for anything you need. In a sense, they treat you like family. Whether it is the gorgeous rooms (that come in many different shapes, sizes, and layouts - to fit everyone's likes!), the beautiful scenary that Lauren & Toby have built around the premise, the pool lounging, the stunning stretch of white sand beaches with the ocean waves crashing against them, having a drink at the Pearl, or the infamous "family style" dinners...Iguana Lodge is a true gem. Paradise doesn't come close to what this place offers, because they blow paradise out of the water. As an individual, relaxing and de-stressing is a difficult endeavor for me, and Iguana is one of the few places I have EVER been able to just "let-go." Each morning you rise to the monkey's call waking you up, you enjoy a cup of Costa Rican coffee (some of the best stuff on Earth), stretch out during the morning yoga class, enjoy a plate of huevos and gallo pinto (the local rice and beans dish) along with fresh fruit, and that is just the beginning to your day...It's a must. No, rather, it needs to be on your bucketlist. You haven't lived until you've visited Iguana.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Esterillos Oeste, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Feels like home! You can sense the love from the attention the owners and staff lavish on you when you stay at the Iguana. This place has it all. Great Food, full bar, deserted beach with clear water, surfing, activities, wildlife. Very comfortable, I hated to leave.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank beaujm
Long Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have stayed at Iguana twice and this was by far my favorite destination in the world to date. I have also driven the pacific and Caribbean coasts and stayed in every area of Costa Rica. You won't find area with more wildlife and fauna as dense as this place. I happened to see that there were negative reviews on the Iguana Lodge and I actually angers me to read them because I KNOW how hard the owners and staff at iguana work to make every persons stay enjoyable. If you are an arrogant American and don't like bugs, you have no business in Central or South America. The people that left these reviews are the kind of people that pay for a vacation and expect everyone to fan them and feed them grapes. In the real world, if you want that, you're gonna have to pay a LOT more for that which they probably couldn't afford anyway.This place could be considered as a little expensive but I've found that you get what you pay for. The owners give a lot of there own money and time to the local community. When i was there in 2006, i saw Toby on a big tractor grading the roads himself because Costa Rica didn't put hardly any money into the roads then.
My wife and I have been all over the world and every time we go to another country we always wish we would have just booked iguana. It's truly that memorable. They have accommodations for every kind of traveler. If you take the time to get to know the staff they will also tell you ways to do activities for any budget. The 1st time I stayed the bartender took my buddy and I fishing at all the local hotspots everyday on his own time and never charged us a dime!!!! He also took me to a local spot where we hand fed crocodiles in the river. Don't get too close. You could lose a hand. The other bartender Helena taught me how to salsa dance to which I can never thank her enough. I came back home and met my wife and I'm pretty sure it was my salsa skills that reeled her in!!! Another person you HAVE to get to know is Giovanni. This dude is one of the most helpful people in Costa Rica. Whatever you are looking to do this guy will find you the best person to take you there. As we were leaving for home on the last trip he saw that my wife and I had 20 days of dirty laundry and we were leaving for home with 3 trash bags of dirty wet clothes in 4 hours. He grabbed our bags and ran them down to the laundry and had our clothes back in less than 2 hours. We returned home packed like we were going on a vacation. He didn't have to do that. We were leaving and had already paid. But he did for us anyway. What a cool dude.

If you stay in a casita, breakfast and dinner is provided at the palapa in the main building. Whoever does the cooking there is really good because we loved every meal we had. The neat thing about dinner is that you dine, under candlelight, with the rest of the guests at the resort. I thought this was awesome. We meet people from all over the world there. At most resorts you dine with dine with your party and never say a word to the people around you. We ended up making friends with every person there. The iguana truly provided a unique experience.

I can tell you from the depth of my heart that any of those negative reviews are either complete BS from a competitor or miserable people that will never be happy in any place. This location will gives you a chance to experience nature in is true form. Most of the lodging on the OSA are ecolodges and they are preserving one of the densest jungles in the world. If you make the decision to go to Puerto Jimenez I would highly recommend the Canos Island snorkeling trip. It's a bit of a boat ride but, WOW!!!, what an experience. I chartered a private yacht owned by a my named Diego and it was one of the best trips I've been on. At first I thought the price was a little steep but after returning I would have spent three times what they charged to go there. He also stopped the boat on the way back to let us catch a few tuna which we brought back to feed the entire resort. Bringing home a fresh tuna will make you a lot of friends anywhere you go.
If you go to the OSA. This is the place to stay. I'm from Los Angeles and being from a big city you don't get to meet people like the ones you meet here. Maybe it's the jungle that feeds your soul what it really needs to find your happy place. It just so happens,the bugs and animals like it too.....

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brian K
Mount Vernon, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

For my very first time in Costa Rica, I stayed here at iguana lodge and I had a howl of a good time -- and yes there were howler monkeys. Its kind of amazing to get up in the mornings to the sound of their howls and macaws, and the sound of the ocean in the background. It really is a 'back to nature' kind of experience and I couldn't help but marvel at where I was when I was there. Every morning for the short time I was there was a moment of laying in bed and taking in the experience and being thankful foe being there. To add to the experience, they have some of the best staff of people I've ever met -- everyone was so warm and genuinely nice, and the owners themselves are two very awesome people and ones I'm so glad I got the pleasure of meeting. Iguana lodge = a memorable time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 426Kimmy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Such a loving community of people at the Iguana Lodge. It was so peaceful, beautiful, and made me feel at home. I wish I could have stayed there forever. I 100% recommend this place as a perfect getaway on a honeymoon, vacation, retreat, wedding, or even a place to spend some alone time when needed. I will definitely be going back!! It was pure magic. Pura Vida!!

• Stayed June 2013
Winter Haven, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed here May 4-9th, 2013 and June 4-9th, 2013. I loved every minute of the experience. The food was great, the rooms are great, the staff are terrific, and the local people are friendly. The owners of the place care about their customers and it shows in the service and natural beauty you will experience. The Osa Peninsula was my favorite area of Costa Rica and I can't wait to return during the peak season to experience a little more of the nature, but even during the off season it was still gorgeous. I will definitely be returning!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the club rooms and it would be extremely comfy for a single or couple.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jackie K
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

You won't have a better experience on the OSA than if you stay at Iguana. Toby & Lauren and their amazing staff provided the perfect ending to another perfect trip to Costa Rica. The grounds and simple structures are all incredibly beautiful. The breakfast at the open air main building is sumptuous with freshly made everything. The on-site chef prepares beautiful food for dinner with your choice of dining locations - the elevated bamboo room over the main building, on the outside deck, in your room or at their restaurant. The bar and restaurant is the perfect setting for a casual lunch or dinner with an ocean view, live music on Friday nights for the whole family and amazing food. The yoga and massage studio are in a stunningly beautiful 2 story open air bamboo building that is elegant, but simple. The Casitas offer a beautiful and private setting amongst the lush grounds where you will find a deck and hammock, couch and rocker, a beautiful room with rainfall shower and a private bathroom. Their are miles of beach to enjoy. You may even get a four-legged escort by the resident dog - Spike. This is not a fancy resort with all kinds of amenities. It's simple and beautiful and a place to go to reconnect with nature and discover what it really means to relax. Pura Vidal!!

Room Tip: You have a choice of stand alone Casitas with a room on top and one below or one of the eight rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Las Islas Lodge
Las Islas Lodge
#4 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Iguana Lodge? Share your experiences!