My husband and I stayed at Iguana Lodge for 4 nights in July 2014 in one of their club rooms. The grounds are beautiful and we were able to see lots of wildlife over our stay. Macaws regular visit and we got some great photos of Howler Monkeys. They can get a little noisy in the mornings, but we loved the experience! The beach is stunning and so quiet. The water is very warm and safe for swimming.
Our room was good, but the bed was NOISY. It really bothered my husband - that would be the main downside. It sounds weird, but they are made of Bamboo and every time you move they make really loud cracking noises and we kept waking each other up. We ended up having to get earplugs to get some sleep.
The property has two restaurants and we ate at both. One is a regular type restaurant with good food and lots of variety. The other is reservation only and a family style buffet. You sit as a "family" along with the hosts and it was a great dinner conversation. We liked both :) On Tuesday nights they do a beach BBQ - so nice!
The front reception was very helpful in booking tours and we both really appreciated their honesty. They told us which tours were good, and which were "not worth the money".
We ended up doing the 1/2 day wildlife tour in Matapalo with Sidnar - awesome! Sidnar was a really good guide. We were able to take him in our rental 4x4 and drive down saving us transportation costs. He is a great guy and very knowledgeable.
We also did horseback riding with the neighbour Ivan. The tour was good, but Ivan doesn't speak any English … so the tour was quiet! Some may enjoy this, but we do like to learn about the area on a tour so that was a little disappointing. We should have asked, oh well! That being said, the horses were well training and a lot of fun to ride. They trail is beautiful.
The pool area is stunning and very relaxing. We loved the sarongs they offer as well as all the other "ocean toys" - boogie boards, fins, beach mats etc …
The little town of Puerto Jimenez is small but super cute! Try sandwiches from any of the local bakeries and if you like Seafood … boy do we have a place for you! This place was actually recommended by Sidnar (the guide) and it was THE BEST, FRESHEST seafood!!!! In town, there is a little line of 3 "sodas" along the beach … the middle one (blue sign) offers a "Mixed Seafood Plate". OH BOY is it awesome and HUGE!!!! My husband and I shared a plate for 1 and were stuffed. It was 13 000 colones (or just over $20) but SOOOO worth it! The waiter says they regularly make up huge plates for 5 or more people. Wow!
Great place, and you won't regret your stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Iguana Lodge is the Osa Peninsula's premier beach eco-resort. Established over eleven years ago, Iguana Lodge is founded on the principles of sustainable tourism, personalized service, joy, health, and well-being. Located on the most beautiful beach on the Osa (no kidding), Iguana Lodge is a contemporary, lushly landscaped resort with a 20 meter lap pool and Jacuzzi, two yoga decks and complimentary yoga classes*, a deluxe spa, a fabulous Tico staff, award winning fresh, healthy meals at our two restaurants, our own naturalist, and excellent jungle and ocean adventures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Iguana Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iguana Hotel Puerto Jimenez
- Iguana Resort Puerto Jimenez
- Iguana Lodge Costa Rica/Puerto Jimenez