“The Hands-Down Coolest Experience You May Ever...”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Ocean Views
View from Punta Jaguar
Master Sink
Handmade Spiral Staircase
Brian Lovely, Co-Creator of this house gets bananas !
Second Floor Room
Second Floor room with two handmade closets and privacy door off of the spiral staircase
Root Dining Room Table
Fully Stocked Kitchen
Lounge and Kitchen
Amazing surf for all levels
Hosts
Adventures
Security
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 14 reviews

Reviews from our community

Ayshe D
Portland, Oregon
“The Hands-Down Coolest Experience You May Ever Have”
Reviewed 26 February 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful

I have had the very good fortune of travelling a lot of the planet for a lot of my 38 years (which sounds insanely pretentious, but bear with me, I am just trying to make a point :))…and I remember the moment during our stay when I looked at my husband and said, “I think this is the coolest place I have ever been.” I realize this is a bold statement. It’s like being able to pick your favorite song or name your ONE favorite food. But I’m not lying or exaggerating; our time here was hands-down the coolest thing I have ever done. While everything about this location in the Osa Peninsula is enchanting (you’ll even find yourself smiling about waking to the sound of howler monkeys)…at the center of this experience is the Punta Jaguar tree house. I saw in another review that this tree house is in reality a jungle-beach fantasy land that you may dream up in your head. What’s really cool is that it is actually what your hosts, Brian and Eva Lovely, dreamed up in their beautiful heads. It is tranquil luxury in the heart of the jungle. It is an architectural feat bound for Dwell magazine that exists off the grid (cause it’s solar-powered…righteous). It’s the one place on your worldly travels that you can actually drink the water (cause Brian and Eva bring in the water from natural spring nearby). Ultimately, it’s kind of like trying to write about an amazing smell or a delicious flavor, you have to trust me and the other reviewers when we say: it is a place of your dreams. The details and décor look as though a high priced interior decorator flew in materials from Paris or Morocco. But no…the furniture is entirely designed and built by your hosts (the appropriately named Lovely’s) using the wood from the jungle that surrounds you at Punta Jaguar. The bathroom sink is a giant half clam shell found on Matapalo Beach. The dining table is the trunk of a tree that fell near their home. The lighting and lanterns are from Little Rock, AK…Eva’s hometown. Every corner, every detail has a story…and they will all be ones you will want to someday, in turn, share with your loved ones.

Some tips:
1) I recommend you fly into Puerto Jimenez and rent your 4x4 there to drive to Punta Jaguar. Driving from San Jose takes the better part of a day and is only worth it if you have plenty of time and want to stop along the way. Otherwise, catch a prop plane from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez, rent your ride, stop at the B&M to grab groceries and head to Punta Jaguar! We will do this on our next visit.
2) Make sure you meet the whole family: Bandido (Brian and Eva’s awesome pup) and Wanbali (Brian and Eva’s awesome HAWK – yah that’s right.)
3) Take your hosts up on their additional services: they can stock your fridge on your arrival day or coordinate local adventures for a small fee. SO WORTH IT. We had a young man named Eddie (or whom I refer to as the Jungle Whisperer) take us on a jungle tour. It was that day that I said this was the coolest place I've ever been. You will repel down a waterfall on this tour. I'll leave it at that.
4) Hit up Martina’s (the sole local bar and restaurant) on Friday night to hang with locals, check out local art, and have homemade ice cream. I mean…whuuut?
5) Take many strolls down Beach Road. If you’re lucky, Eva may even draw you a map :-). Matapalo Beach is the most seductive with its righteous break for all you surfers, but Backwash Beach is my fave. Breathtaking.

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing
Your age range 35-49
Arkansas
Reviewed 24 February 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
sbellosa
madrid, Spain
“peaceful easy feeling...”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

This property provided everything one would expect in this price point and delivered even more. Most of the places to stay on osa are either in town or on the beach. Punta Jaguar is up off the beach, away from all the places to rent on the beach below.
It's surrounded by rich primary rainforest and has the most stunning views of the ocean.
You can watch the moon come over the ocean and the the stars shimmer brightly.
I prefer a morning walk down the trail and a wander along the shore to swim and then come back up to the forest in the heat of the afternoon. Being able to buy our own food and eat how we want, when we want, makes a big difference for us. You're gonna feel like you've found one of those perfect places you can't wait to share with friends. Tell 'em I sent you !

Your age range 50-64
MahshadV
New York City, New York
“An unforgettable jungle adventure with all the creature comforts.”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful

If you tried to create a fantasy jungle-beach dreamland in your head, it would look exactly like the Punta Jaguar Treehouse.

This place is next-level beautiful, with so much attention to detail and so much character and color and texture everywhere you look. Eva and Brian are impeccable hosts with style and grace, and they will help navigate you or leave you alone to appreciate the natural beauty in every corner. The view of Cabo Matapalo is unreal, and the natural jungle soundtrack is something I would pay to hear every night in my NYC apartment. One word of advice: don't overpack! And make friends with the hawk. He's the best.

You'll get more than your money's worth here. I would absolutely come back, and hopefully on a regular basis!! Thanks, guys!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Bandido (the hosts' dog)
Liked least: The fact that we had to leave
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
18 Feb 2014
Mahshad,

We can't thank you enough for such a wonderful review. We are so glad you had a great time with us! You were so fun and we definitely think you should come back and surf more. It was fun to see you catch your first wave! We sadly haven't seen the hawk in a few weeks. We hope he returns, we miss him! ( or her) We will send you a recording of the night in the jungle but hope you come back really soon to hear it live again!

Eva and Brian Lovely
Katherine...
Brooklyn, New York
“Magical Jungle Treehouse Overlooks a Kiss between Gulf of Dulce and the Pacific Ocean”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 for a stay in March 2013

As an escapist child, watching Disney's Swiss Family Robinson (1960) was the first time I remember being awestruck by a treehouse. Built and designed from the wreckage of a ship, along with resourcing the jungle's vegetation, there in lofted a massive, fantastical home, complete with modernities. The other treehouse I became entranced by was not an illusion of the cinema, rather it was built by the Korowai peoples. Assembled on giant stilts of trees, the houses appear to float in the sky. In that combination is where you will find the essence of the rental home at Punta Jaguar in Cabo Matapalo, Costa Rica.

The Lovely's have elevated the creation of a "treehouse" into a sprawlingly beautiful 3 level home, perched amidst the tree line, overlooking the Gulf of Dulce's kiss with the Pacific Ocean. The house is lofted into 3 sections of private open-air spaces, with an option of wrapping a rain curtain, which has the ability to envelope the entire structure while remaining sheer. A transparent tube encases the spiraling staircase which connects the levels. The base-level is a communal space, dining room, and full kitchen; all built of local woods including gorgeous purple heart. The mid-level is the first sleeping deck where a custom built bed admires a beautiful view of the property and onlooking the Gulf. The top-level is a massive master bedroom with immaculate closets and storage, custom built bed guarded by the homes Jaguar statue, and a master bathroom where you can wash up using a Venus clam shell sink with a faucet made of conch shell. The details of the home are impeccably well done, and it's no mistake that it was created to pleasure the mind and body. The property's hill top site has a private stared path which leads down to the beach through a scenic span of nature. Punta Jaguar is also home to the houses of Eva, Brian and Bandido Lovely, their caretaker, and the exquisite animal life of Cabo Matapalo. You may find Rainbow Macaw's eating fruit from the trees, Howler monkey's singing their wake-up calls on a branch near-by, or a toad checking for crumbs. They're all there to share the experience, and I loved sharing mine with them.

My experiences, and reasons to return to Punta Jaguar, are more than I can list here. The sunrise and sunset views were gorgeous. Waking up on the top-level to view of the ocean and pink skies, with the sound of the subtle jungle yawns: monkeys rustling from arm to tale through the trees to find breakfast, parrots chirping their beaky hellos, and the best morning surf tide waves welcoming the earliest champs. And then there was the night time. On a new moon night I swam in plankton filled waters… the phosphorescent ocean was glowing on my skin, and simultaneously on view was a completely star studded Milky Way. It was life altering.

I live in New York City, a jungle I love, though love escaping from. Visiting Costa Rica allows me the opportunity to practice my Spanish, see friends, and entertain my visual and spiritual senses. Flights to San Jose are very reasonable at all times of the year, as is the jumper flight from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez (which is the town closest to Cabo Matapalo). If you fly into Juan Santamaria International and book the jumper flights through Sansa, it's just a 2 minute walk from baggage claim. Once off the jumper in PJ, you can pick up your rental vehicle, get cash out from the local ATM, buy your stays worth of groceries and beverages, along with any hygienic goods from the local market, and prepare to drive to the southern most point of the peninsula, which is about a 45minute ride. Taxi services are also available to take you to Punta Jaguar if you do not require a personal vehicle once settled. It is quite easy to walk everywhere in the general area.

It's important to take along the right jungle gear! Aside from your beach wear, towels, and other every day items, you will need to bring a few specific things to keep with you when you're out roaming around. When night arrives a head lamp will be your torch, there are no street lamps or external lights in the jungle, so remember when it's dark, you'll have the stars and the moon to guide you otherwise. Bring a good pair of rubber soled shoes for hiking, and being that you'll be close to the equator, extra SPF is needed, and always carry a bit of insect repellant.

Of the eleven days I spent in Cabo Matapalo, I ate at Martina's Bar a couple of times, which was a nice break from cooking, because the menu there is amazing, and changes based on what is in season. Walking to Martina's is easy… either on the main road, or down the beach at low tide (which I did all times). Aside from having meals and drinks there, I was introduced to a great assortment of locally made items at the market hosted there on Saturday nights. Home made vegan ice creams, pottery, jewelry, fresh produce, all for sale, for cash, from local vendors.

If you haven't already done so, take the time and do some reading about Cabo Matapalo online. There is a lot of tourist information regarding visiting the national parks, hiking trails, waterfalls, when wale sitings are peaking, the best surfing locations and teachers, where to go for spa treatments and yoga classes, what kinds of animals and insects you should expect to become familiar with, how to make coffee in a "sock", and yes, you can definitely drink the water. If you have other specific questions, Eva and Brian can help, too. My whole trip was based around their wealth of knowledge, having lived there for a quarter of a century, they can definitely help you plan your trip!

Punta Jaguar, I love you, see you soon!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The owners are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. The variety of beautiful details, and accessibility of the rental: the lucite window installations in the master bedroom, hand made furniture, easy access to the beach, etc.
Liked least: The length of my stay. I would've stayed longer had I been able!
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway
18 Feb 2014
Katherine,

We are terribly humbled by your glowing words. You have truly painted into words why we love it here and love to share it with others. This place is a treasure house and to share it with people that fall in love with it's beauty is the gift. We can't thank you enough for your thoughtful review. We will see you very soon! The jungle awaits..

Eva and Brian Lovely
Kristin M
Austin, Texas
“Relaxation + Adventure in the jungle. Truly unique experience!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Wow! The location of this place is incredible enough, but the actual house is remarkable. Nestled in a remote spot with stunning views of the ocean and jungle. Close enough to the beach that it's a short walk to get there but close enough that you're listening to the waves and jungle sounds as you fall asleep. The high quality craftsmanship and thoughtful, original design of the place makes it truly special. If you're looking to get away from it all plus adventure, I highly recommend this place! Brian and Eva Lovely were so great. They went above and beyond in making sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed or wanted. The combination of all of the above made this trip so special, the best trip I've ever taken! I'm already planning my next trip and plan to take friends.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Remote plus active adventure
Liked least: Honestly can't think of anything for myself, but I'd advise travelers to be prepared and plan your food for the week or ask the Lovelys to hire a chef, if you prefer that over cooking.
Travelling group: Solo
Friends getaway
3 Jan 2014
Kristin,

You were such a great guest to host. We are so excited that you had a wonderful time. Thank you for taking time out to think of us and say such beautiful words! We would love to have you back down with your friends!

Eva and Brian
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$350
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing