“Loved my stay at this Lodge”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Jimenez
Bosque del Rio Tigre
Charleston, South Carolina
“Loved my stay at this Lodge”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Just returned from Bosque del Rio Tigre in Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula. I can't say enough about the comfort, cleanliness, clean smooth linens (washed by hand in pristine mountain water), and of course the food. Three meals a day, one more delicious than the next. Freshest ingredients with wonderful flavorful local spices. And way healthy! The lodge is tucked right into the jungle, with toucans and macaws and rare tropical birds flitting near the rooms. I could bird-watch from my bed, and see and hear the river below. Our hosts, Liz and Abraham, and our guide, Ulysses (and Abraham who serves as host, guide and cook at various times) were part of the special charm of the stay. We stayed 7 full days, and enjoyed each one better than the next. For serious birders, the guides are top-rated and know every single little bitty bird by its call and chip-note. It helped us greatly to add to our life lists. Swimming in the river cooled us down each day and the hot showers got us ready for drinks and dinner by candle-light, with the jungle noises as background. This is a turn-key trip with Liz and Abraham making sure all transportation needs are taken care of and on time. Truly, I would go back tomorrow. I miss them all already.

Room Tip: All the rooms were fantastic. I stayed in the little cabin which was just 15 steps from the lodge. I...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cancun Riviera Maya,
Reviewed 16 January 2012

This is a very rustic place, in the jungle, and the reason to go there is to enjoy the birds. This is a very rustic place, share bathroom, and no privacy, but the birds you will see and the food they will cook will make it up if you really really like nature.

My husband and I didn't really know what to expect when we got there.. and it was a little bit of a shock, the sharing bathroom and no privacy thing... the lodge is open to nature, which can be cool once you get use to it. It took me a few days..

We spent 5 nights, my favorite part was the river, we took hikes up the river and found fun swimming places, to swim against the current..

We loved the food and overall the service.

Abraham is a nature lover and an incredible guide, that will show you birds and animals that you wont see at a first glance.

The rooms are basic, a bed with a mosquito net on top of it, and a table. Beds are hard (I like hard so that wasn't a problem for me, but might be for others)

You will be up a 5:30 am... unless you sleep like a rock. Whoever is going to do birdwatching, will be up at that time, and you WILL hear the noise of bathroom, walking, eating etc..., so forget about sleeping late... BUT you will be in bed very early as well as there is no electricity, so passed dinner, if you are lucky and have friends with you, or of you socialize with the other guests at the place, you can chat some, or read under the led lights they have.. or take a night walk with Abraham to go find some birds or frogs, but besides that is bedtime..very early..

The lodge is far from Puerto Jimenez, 30 mins taxi, that will cost you 25-30 usd each way.. so it gets very expensive to take tours

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SolTamargo
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Bosque del Rio Tigre is a truly special place that will appeal to birders or anyone with an interest in nature. The lodge is set amidst the rainforest and and feels a part of it, yet is comfortable, clean, and has excellent food. Liz and Abraham are wonderful hosts, and the place has a relaxed, intimate feel. Feeders draw in hummingbirds, tanagers, doves, and even a motmot! Little tinamou and blue ground dove were feeding right next to the lodge on a couple mornings, and toucans and turqoise cotingas were spotted with from the front step. Short trails around the lodge afforded a wide variety of additional sightings, including poison dart frogs, iguanas, and boat-billed herons. We spent three nights there and I wish we had had more, as it is one of the best places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank David H
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Bosque del rio Tigre is the most extraordinary place I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. We arrived in heavy rain. The 4WD taxi that ordinarily fords the river couldn't -- the river was too high. So, we were ferried across in yellow inflatable kayaks by host Abraham. We were soon settled in our room: the outside walls are half walls so the room is open to the jungle. Wide eaves protect from rain; mosquito netting protects from bugs at night. The lodge, designed by host Liz and largely constructed by Liz and Abraham, is beautifully detailed; the beds are among the best I've slept in; the linens are crisp and smooth. Food is delicious and healthy -- lots of green salads, fruit, homemade bread. Everything is spotless. Liz and Abraham are perfect hosts.
All this on a few hours of solar-powered electricity a day!
Adding to all this, the lodge is a bird-watcher's paradise. We saw many life birds simply sitting on the veranda, even in pouring rain. The property also contains a number of trails, and Abraham is one of the best guides I've met. Having lived in the area most of his life, he knows every bird, frog, insect, snake, and plant, and is very patient with those of us who sometimes have trouble seeing what's in front of their eyes.
We stayed at the lodge during record rains (almost continuous for four days), which resulted in lots of sticky mud on our shoes and clothing; the toilets (spotless) are shared; the showers (lots of hot water!) are in a separate building. None of that mattered. It was our favorite place on the entire trip.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank greenthorntail
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2011

As a 'city-girl' traveling alone on my first visit to Costa Rica and first time birding in the tropics I made Bosque del Rio Tigre the center of my trip - staying there for 5 nights in February 2011 - and it was the perfect choice for me. Hosts Liz & Abraham made me feel right at home in their lovely lodge, nestled in the midst of the rain forest, and were eager to share their knowledge of and respect for its wonders. So many birds - I saw over 160 species! They were almost all new to me, and I enjoyed the 'common' ones along with the rarities. Because everything is open directly to the forest, it was a constant challenge to get anything done (eating, writing a journal, taking a shower) without being distracted by a nearby bird, butterfly, lizard or monkey. What a great problem.

Knowing a group would arrive during part of my stay, I was housed in the little cabina, set apart from the main lodge. I initially wondered if I'd be afraid of sleeping 'out there' all by myself, but instead found it entirely charming, and definitely missed the all-night jungle music after I left. The cold water shower was refreshing after a hot hike (the lodge itself has some hot water showers), and there was even a reading light over my bed - though no electrical sockets, as the lodge is solar power only.

The food was delicious, the staff attentive and the guides were great. (Thanks, Abraham, Scott & Liz.) Whether I was the only guest or one of several, my preferences were requested and taken into account. I'm so glad I stayed long enough not only to see a zillion birds but to see many of them more than once and learn more about them.

If you want room service, air conditioning and a spa, go to Miami Beach. But if you want a close-up look at the wonderful flora & fauna of the Osa rainforest, with expert local guidance & warm hospitality, then pack your sense of adventure & some good binoculars and try out Bosque del Rio Tigre. Please tread lightly and support preservation of such natural treasures whenever/however you can.

Room Tip: Reserve early - maximum of 10 guests.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank rravitts
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Stayed 4 nights at the Bosque Del Rio Tigre Lodge. This was by far the best spot for birding. The guides (Abrahm, Scott & Eulices) were excellent and knew where to find specific birds. The food was some of the best in all of Costa Rica- 5 star restaurant quality! The lodge is comfortable and the staff is very hospitable. Anyone who is into birding, nature and wildlife should definately make the trip to Osa and stay with Liz & Abrahm.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EmeraldCityTraveler8
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 21 January 2011

As we look at our photos of the endangered Yellow-billed Cotinga, the bawdy Scarlet Macaws, the Fiery-billed Aracaris and the sweet Riverside Wrens, we are reminded of our four absolutely wonderful nights as guests of Abraham and Liz at Bosque del Rio Tigre. This almost wall-less wilderness retreat is not only at the end of the road, but at the end of the road and across the river, so it is quite amazing that the meals are among the best we had in Costa Rica--with tuna and shrimp entrees perfectly cooked and presented by the light of candles and to the music of the river. Abraham is an outstanding bird guide, with abundant skill for the expert birder and patience for the novice. An amazing array of birds come to the four sides of the lodge, all while you lounge in a hammock or nurse coffee at the dining table. Liz is a pampering hostess, in spite of the challenges of operating a facility in a remote location in the damp of the tropical rainforest. They do offer guides for day trips but we would heartily recommend staying at the lodge so you can also enjoy its unique ambiance, abundance of birds, delicious meals and gracious host and hostess.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
#3 of 42 in Osa Peninsula
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Bosque del Rio Tigre? Share your experiences!