Danta Corcovado Lodge
Cabinas Jimenez(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$54
US$69
  • Restaurant
La Chosa del Manglar Nature Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$42
Agua Dulce Beach Resort(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$78
Las Islas Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$67
Hotwire.com
Iguana Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
US$150
US$383
US$360
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslos patosnight walknight toursecondary forestoutdoor bathroomla leonathe ownerosa peninsulacosta ricahand madeindividual bungalowsfour wallsbirding packagethe red eyed tree froghighly recommended placeminimal impactviewing platform
Reviewed 25 February 2013

OMG, the most amazing experience of my life! I have to say I wasn't prepared for having no windows or doors to open and close and only having netting as a covering around the structure. I stayed here 4 nights Feb 9 - 12 and just being isolated and hearing all the birds and other animals around you is amazing. There was a sloth near the front desk. Tons of monkeys travelling in groups of 20 or more swinging from tree to tree all around the place.

Highly recommend the night tour as you will be shocked at the things you don't see while walking to your bungalow at night. Saw tarantulas, caiman, fireflies with 2 bright lights at the front and a red light at the back (nothing like the north american version) birds sleeping in crevices of trees, bats and other insects and this is all all around the lodge. Lots of trails to explore around the lodge in the daytime.

Breakfast is included with the room charge and it was great and keeps you full until dinner time which I did there a few times and costs about $12 and was worth it. Also went into the local town for dinner and great food everywhere.

Sleeping was very different as you hear animals and sounds all night and you are never really 'dry' and the sheets feel damp but was just something to get used to.

The staff were very nice and if you are booking anything make sure you get them to do it right then and there because even if the front desk guy is also serving the dinner and you mention you want to do some tours it won't be booked, you have to see him later at the front desk to confirm it. We almost missed out on a tour of the Corcovado National Park because of this and this is a must. Just the drive there through the river beds was an adventure.

There is so much to do and see.

Room Tip: Definitely take your own flashlight or some source of light as it gets really dark and you can't see your hand in front of your face.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lv2traveller
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed 3 nights here during our visit to the Osa. Highly recommended. The lodge is very neat and the food is nothing short of amazing. We bungalows are creative and comfortable and the bathroom is something to behold. So much fun! Highly recommend a trip over into Puerto Jimenez for dinner and some sightseeing. The birding in the area is what we were there for and were never disappointed. If you are traveling to the Osa, don't miss this place!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank RichFischer
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I would encourage anyone who is travelling down to the Osa Peninsula to stay at Danta Lodge. The lodge really is like all the pictures that you've seen. I had high expectations of this place prior to going there and I was not at all disappointed. After one night in a previous hotel in Domincal due to the unfriendliness of the owner, I was keen on having a better experience at Danta Lodge - and the fact that we were staying there for 3 nights too.

My corresponding with Nelson, the reception manager, weeks before we were going to Costa Rica was always quick and friendly. He, and absolutely everyone in the lodge was SO hospitable and friendly towards my partner and I. The lodge is small (max 20 guests I would say) in comparison to Lapa Rios which is the more up scale lodge next door (max 100 guests I was told) but this was the beauty of our experience there. The small community and guest made us feel so comfortable (and romantic!)

We stayed at their new cabana which was located near the restaurant (the name of the cabana is Tiger's face, in Spanish) and it was enormous, with beautiful hand carved wood furnishings, just like everywhere else in the lodge. I hadn't seen what the other bungalows looked like but the cabana is perfect for a couple, even though it has a spare single room with a sing bed and a bunkbed. Plus, I appreciated the space and our large veranda with hammocks outside.

Whilst we stayed in the Osa Peninsula, we did one day of zip-lining and another day of a full guided tour of the Corcovado National Park. These and quite a few other tours are available to book at the lodge (they have a whole file on all the tours you can do). Our highlight on the tour of the Park was seeing a sloth hanging from the trees and trekking to the waterfall. You must bring your bathing suit to the hike coz when you see the waterfall you really will wanna change into it and jump in! It was exhilarating! Our jungle guide was actually from Danta Lodge (he was also a barman and made us wonderful cocktails in the evening!) and he was awesome, walking slowly though the jungle and stopping to look in his telescope (we wouldn't have seen the sloth otherwise).

The meals were really good there too and we stayed at the lodge every night (it's very rocky getting to the Lodge so you'd wanna stay there anyway).

Thank you to Danta Lodge for making our stay so wonderful!!!

Kim

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank L0nd0n_traveller1982
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stayed here one night on the way to San Jose. We were amazed at the artistic construction and the attention to details. The cabin we stayed in was a raised platform tent but not really. I have never seen a tent this huge with a full bed and a sofa so big it could be used as a bed as well. A huge open air bathroom 3 steps down with unique artistic details and hot water was a pleasure.
On top of this the meals were delicious and nicely presented, the property and trails were beautiful and the owner and staff very helpful.
We would love to come back and spend more time in this unique eco lodge.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Harvey38
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I lead an annual women's adventure experiential travel trip in Costa Rica each February. My group and I loved our time at Danta-- the vision and passion of owner, Merlyn, the outstanding manager, Nelson, and everyone else on the staff. The rooms and bungalows are very comfortable, and each one is uniquely designed, but always with local sustainable materials. And the bathrooms! Each one more creative than the next!!

While Danta is physically located in a remote and beautiful setting, it is deeply connected to the local community of Guadalupe and the Osa. That is part of what makes it so special. The Finca Kobo "chocolate" tour <with an incredibly delicious ending!> and the opportunity to learn some of the history, traditions, and stories of the Guaymi community are unique offerings well worth the time and money.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms/bungalows at Danta, but if proximity to the main building is important, one should say so when inquiring about a reservation.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends