“Tranquility in the rainforest”

Danta Corcovado Lodge
“Tranquility in the rainforest”
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at Danta Corcovado Lodge. Everything about Danta is first class. The bungalows have their own special features and individual charms. The bungalows allow you privacy as you enjoy the wildlife sounds and sights. The bathrooms are unique and actually quite beautiful. Within a short walk you are at the main lodge where the service is spectacular. The staff make sure you are comfortable and have all you need. The food is delicious for every meal. The care and detail to each meal is evident in its presentation and taste. The cocktails are each hand crafted and another example of the staff's dedication to the guests. I would highly recommend staying at Danta Corcovado Lodge while visiting the Osa Peninsula

Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Kyla A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This was my 5th year to stay at Danta Corcovado Lodge. This lodge has the perfect combination of location, beauty, and solitude to make for an unforgettable experience. It is located in the rain forests of the Osa Peninsula in the southwest corner of Costa Rica. The bungalows and common areas of the lodge possess the marks of the truly artistic craftsmanship of the owner and the staff. They do amazing things with wood! The food is amazing and the well-stocked bar adds to the experience. The location of the bungalows in the rain forest makes for a truly special experience of sleeping and waking to the sounds of the frogs, birds, and other wildlife of the rain forest. The well-marked trail system and local roads are great for nature lovers and especially for bird watchers. As I have returned to this location year after year my love of this place on the earth has only grown. Give yourself the gift of this special and memorable experience. Add a side trip into the wonders of the Corcovado National Park that is next door. Or explore the mangrove swamps along the beautiful Golfo Dulce in a kayak. Meet the local residents of the neighboring village. Or do nothing but relax in one of the most beautiful and relaxing locations on the planet.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chuck D
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I loved my stay! My cabin was beautiful and I appreciated getting to walk through the forest a little to get to it. I made sure to visit all the cabins to see their uniqueness. Getting to fall asleep to the sounds of nature is such a treat. The food was great. I only eat fish and otherwise I eat a vegetarian diet, and they accommodated my picky eating very well. I will gladly go back and stay there again.

Room Tip: I loved my room because it didn't have walls. Just the translucent curtains. That suited me just...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank climberyogi
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I recently spent the 2nd week of May at Danta Corcovado Lodge, and I had an absolutely wonderful time there. I especially appreciated the fact that they have 4 kilometers of well-marked (if sometimes challenging) trails on the property (which adjoins Corcovado National Park) through what I found to be the most beautiful rainforest I'd ever seen (and I've been to extremely remote wilderness areas in the Peruvian Amazon on 4 occasions.) I personally never found it necessary to enter the National Park on this trip, as I saw over 70 different species of wildlife on the lodge property (including squirrel, capuchin and howler monkeys, coatimundi, a variety of tree frogs, king vultures, scarlet macaws, 2 types of poison dart frogs, cat-eyed snakes, numerous lizard species, and spectacled caiman, just to name a few.) Brilliant blue morpho butterflies were also extremely common, as were many other butterfly and moth species. In fact, the only species that was totally absent (much to my delight) was Homo sapiens; I never encountered another person on any of my hikes on the outer trails, nor did I ever see a single piece of trash on any of the trails. (Some advice regarding these trails: the terrain can be fairly rugged, the hard red clay earth becomes extremely slick when wet, and in places the trail is very narrow and steep; wear suitable hiking boots, be cautious and take your time. I found the walking stick that Nelson gave to me before my first outing to be absolutely indispensable, and I carried it with me everywhere but to the bathroom and restaurant!)
In addition to the walking stick, I also appreciated some of the other helpful little amenities that the Lodge offers to guests, such as umbrellas, rubber boots and flashlights (though I always bring my own inexpensive little headlamp to the jungle for viewing wildlife at night, which leaves my hands free for operating a camera, climbing up a muddy embankment, and/or waving away mosquitos.) And after a day spent marinating in my own sweat, mud, and various applications of oily insect repellent, the pleasure of being able to have a nice hot shower each evening was almost indescribably wonderful.
The staff people that I encountered were all very friendly, professional and accommodating, the food was delicious, and the unique lodgings and decor (much of which is handcrafted) were simply amazing. I was so impressed that I booked my next stay (for January) the morning before I left, and I can hardly wait to get back there.
If you appreciate the natural beauty that the tropical rainforest has to offer, and are up for some vigorous and challenging hiking, Danta Corcovado Lodge should be part of your Costa Rica itinerary.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank MsAnneThrope
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Out of the way, out of the ordinary place on a dirt road in the jungle, this unusual spot offers beautiful jungle trails and villas isolated along some of those trails. Remarkable wood and ceramic constructions in the villas, including a panther holding the showerhead, chairs made from the trunks of trees, bedsteads made to look like wooden spiderwebs. Meals are expensive, and tours offered here are extremely expensive. Should be more eco-friendly by not penalizing those who arrive by other than private car.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Lance C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stayed in one of their standard rooms (rana room) and were beyond delighted with the handmade furniture and one-of-a-kind outdoor bathroom. Food was excellent and staff were very accommodating when I explained I couldn't eat dairy. The bar is open throughout the day if you want to cool down with a cold cerveza or care for a glass of wine, mixed drink, fruit juice, etc. They even did a load of laundry for us ($3.50/kg), arranged transfers to and from Puerto Jimenez and helped us book a car for San Jose. 5+ stars for service!

With regard to the negative reviews: If you're expecting A/C, look elsewhere. Between the fans and cool showers, we were mostly comfortable. The Osa Peninsula is pretty humid and there's not much you can do about it... I wouldn't say it's the lodge's fault. Arrive with a sense of adventure and you'll have a great time.

There are 3-4 km of trails to hike on the property though we preferred the walk into La Palma for exercise, which is especially nice just before dusk. Corcovado isn't too far away (90 mins to Carate, near La Leona). Consider making plans for a multi-day hike prior to your stay. We made private arrangements with a guide in Puerto Jimenez.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Megan W
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We, a couple from Germany, stayed 2 days/nights in Danta Lodge in March 2013. Originally we planned to stay 3 nights but we shortened the stay since it was disappointing. The area of the lodge is nice, also the restaurant/bar area. Everything is out of wood and spacious. Food is good. We had a bungalow, very spacious.
But the lodge is surrounded by a village and farmland, so you do not find a lot of animals around the lodge area.
The “guides” of Danta Lodge are not certified. They are just two staff members who know a little bit about animals. We made several nature/birding/flora/fauna tours on other lodges with qualified Guides, so we can compare.
The activities we made were really worse: bird watching, night walk, day trip to Corcovado National Park and private trails on lodge area.
The birding tour ($35 p.P.) was on the bridge of the main road of Osa Peninsula. Very loud from traffic. You stand on the bridge and trucks, school busses etc. bypassed you with high speed and low distance. It is dangerous, loud and you do not see many birds. Before tour started, the guide showed the book “Birds of Costa Rica” and asked if we would take the book on the tour. We said yes and so we needed to carry this book on our own and read information about the birds on our own. The guide knew some birds, some others not. The tour was a bad joke.
The day tour to Corcovado National Park ($70 p.P.): 45 minutes drive to Los Patos (a real off-road drive, 4x4 car required, pass 20 times a small river) is challenging, then 1,5 h walk from Los Patos ranger station to a small water fall. 1h stay on water fall. Little swimming. 30 minutes walk back to Los Patos (different trail). The guide was not interested and not willing to watch out for animals and was always in a hurry. It was just only a hike. He prepared to drive back to the lodge at 1pm (45 minutes drive), but the tour was stated until 3pm. After we did not agree, we drove to an open area nearby the Danta Lodge to watch out for birds. Was a farmland with surrounding fence. Not many birds to see. Keep in mind that this was a tour to Corcovado National park to see animals, birds etc.
Night jungle walk ($25 p.P): You do not go to a jungle, you go to a dry creek on the lodge area near the main building, you see a few toads, some spiders, possibly snakes. In dry seasons the creek is dry and it is very difficult to see any of the beautiful colored frogs.
We did not need to pay the activities, this was somehow fair, however, it is less the money and more the waste of holiday time which makes is worse.
Activities of the lodge are too expensive, but the rooms are comparably cheap.
The food is good (we tried breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Our bungalow had no door, only a mesh in front of it. We felt not very safe here since it seems that there was nobody from the staff on the lodge area during the night. All the staff left in the evening. We asked the manager and he said that there is one security guard during the night. We never saw the guard. Some bungalows are on remote areas of the Lodge, approx. 100 m distance to the main building. Nice because they are surrounded by many plants and trees.
The trails on the lodge area are in poor condition: many branches on the way (dangerous because of snakes), much foliage on the ground (dangerous because it is difficult to see snakes in foliage). We saw trails of other lodges which were properly maintained (branches and foliage removed). We didn’t see animals on the Lodge trails, only a few birds. Danta Lodge has sufficient staff, but there seems to be lot of “pura vida”. So why should somebody maintain a trail whereas it is much easier to hang around the day in the restaurant/bar area? The pool is also out of order.
The lodge management made a weak impression. The manager, Nelson, disappeared each forenoon and was not seen for the rest of the day.
If you have low expectations and get crazy when you see 2 birds, Danta Lodge is the right place for you. If you expect real wildlife, birding, nature walks etc. this is not the right place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Crocodile Bay Resort
#6 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula

Been to Danta Corcovado Lodge? Share your experiences!