“Treasure Trove of Art”

El O'scars Galleria
Ranked #48 of 54 things to do in Quepos
Reviewed 15 December 2011

All around Quepos and Manuel Antonio you will find gift and souvenir stores that also sell paintings. There are high end gift shops mostly affiliated with hotels, typical souvenir stores, and open air booths. Most of the work you will see repetitively in many locations right alongside the mugs and keychains. But if you are looking for original ART and not just a trip chatchke, you need to check out Oskar's Galleria.

Great location around the corner towards the ocean from the bus station in Quepos and next to Jaime Peligro Books, Oskar's Gallery is chock full of art and nothing else at a wide variety of sizes and prices. Work can be shipped.

Oskar is a talented abstract artist who also shows a wide variety of other artists' work including Costa Rican, Nicaraguan, and United States artists. Everything from photo-realistic wildlife paintings to abstracts to traditional scenes and more. Oskar is very friendly and knowledgeable and can tell you about the artist and help you find something special and different.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

I've been going to Costa Rica for many years...I am married to a Tica. How did i miss Oscar's gallery in the past? I din't know. Perhaps it's because, when I am in Quepos, I headto my favorite italian deli. Yes, i said italian deli. Lots of italian's in Quepos. Anyhow, getting back to Oscar...you will not regret going in there whether you like art or culture. Oscar;s mother was the attendant the day I stopped in. By the time i left, i had a great painting by Gustavo Araya under my arms and a big crush on this wonderfully warm and sexy lady. She is a big lady in every respect.

Reviewed 15 March 2011

My fiancee and I both love going to O'scars gallery when we go to costa rica.This year we ended up buying five pieces of his art ( he sells other artist work also) and he shipped them immedietly...great find,if you love finding new artist this is the place to go.. O'scar is a fun,smart and passionate artist that you will find very charming and like us will befriend him and want to return to his gallery on pour next trip to costa rica. Highly recommend checking his gallery out if you love finding a good piece of art at very reasonable price!

1  Thank Bornabrit
Reviewed 5 May 2009

My wife and I love gettting art pieces from the different places we travel to and we have never enjoyed our experience more than the one we had in Quepos at El O'scar's Galleria.

We checked out all the galleries in the area between Quepos and Manuel Antonio and saw a lot of interesting works. However, with the exception of El O'scars, all the places had the feeling of a gift shop where prices were inflated and the staff didn't know much about the art or artist. But at El O'scars Galleria, the owner, Rochon, is an artist and is personal friends with most (if not all) the artists that he displays whether they are local lesser-known ones in the Quepos/ Manuel Antonio area well-known artists like Alvaro Gaitan from neighbouring Nicaragua.

The gallery itself is very simple in its set-up; basic shelving and walls, nothing fancy, and seems more like a storage space than a gallery. But by keeping it simple, there is more emphasis on the art pieces and this clearly translates into being able to offer lower prices than the other shops.

We found the owner Rochon to be really friendly guy with a hearty laugh. He is extremely passionate about art and was very willing to tell us about the different artists, pieces and take time to help us find something that we loved. In the end, we bought two paintings (one by Gustavo Araya from Costa Rica and one by Alvaro Gaitan from Nicaragua) from him that we love and can't wait to get up on our walls at home

If you are interested in bringing something home from your trip, we would definitely recommend visiting El O'scars Galleria in Quepos.

The galleria is in Quepos just down the street from Banco de San Jose on the same side as the Century 21 real estate office.

5  Thank steveNjana