“Terrific place: Beautiful, tranquil, and caring”

Coyaba Tropical Bed and Breakfast - Adults Only
Ranked #2 of 15 Quepos B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Terrific place: Beautiful, tranquil, and caring”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I had come to Costa Rica on a "dental tourism" visit, and arrived at Coyaba by myself the day after oral surgery in San Jose to recover for a week before stitches could be removed. Fun, right? Loaded with pain killers and antibiotics, the surgeon had restricted my activity level - no zip lining, etc., for me! So, I needed to be in a place where I could rest, and if there were complications, and I needed help, someone was there who I could trust.

As soon as I arrived at Coyaba, I knew I was in the right place: two generous, caring and knowledgeable men, Mike and Paul, made me feel instantly comfortable and safe, and their dogs were full of love. And their home was so tranquil and beautiful; the pool was delicious. I had restrictions on what I could eat, and their breakfast was just perfect each day. I had to eat yogurt while on antibiotics, and they not only went out and got it for me, but allowed me to keep it in their refridgerator. They arranged a sailing trip; a guide to take me through the park; and even took me to a restaurant and a bar (yes, I know, I wasn't supposed to drink),etc.

A life-long New Yorker, I sadly know no Spanish (my bad), and had no rental car, so this presented some challenges for me about getting around. Coyaba is walking distance from nothing (and limited/non-existent sidewalks make walking dangerous) except the beautiful and expensive Gaia Hotel next door (unmissable for it's sunset cocktails). While the bus stop is directly across the street, you have to know how to use it in terms of what the stops are and when to get off. There's no bus map, and Costa Rica doesn't have street numbers, so it's all done by landmarks, which can be hard to see at night. Taxis are available, but become scarce at night, and without Spanish, I had to figure out a way to tell them where I wanted to go. (It always worked out. Some nice taxi drivers gave me their cards/numbers for return trips; others jerks tried to rip me off on price.) So, if I go again (and I would in a heartbeat), I think I'd rent a car. Or learn Spanish!!

I notice some reviews mention that the house is directly on the main roadway and was noisy, but, again, as New Yorker, this didn't bother me. This was amateur noise from my point of view!

This warm-spirited home welcomes both gay and straight people, so if you're not so warm-spirited, you may want to look elsewhere.

I cannot recommend Coyaba more highly!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank writerguy212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Since i did the reservation, Mike & Paul ( the owners ) gave me all the info i need. They also gave me the links to take everytour I can imagine.. Traveling alone was not a problem in that beautiful hotel, there is a great atmosphere. The other guest also are so friendly. Breakfast is so healthy and on time always. We took (Mike & Paul, a couple of other guest and me ) the Sailing Boat tour one day and it was a wonderfull experience. We saw dolphings around the boat . I also took a tour by myself to Manuel Antonio and Canopy ( different days ), since that Im not affraid to highs any more... They recommend where to buy things, where to eat, and where to have fun ! Swiming in the hotel pool is a wonderful experience to socialice with all the guest. If you travel alone, this is your hotel, without any doubts. I totally recommend Coyaba HOtel, for me it was the vacations I was waiting for, and a little more.
I took the normal bus from San Jose, and the stop was just in front of the Hotel.
Everyday i could take a bus or a taxi to go to Quepos, or the other way to Manuel Antonio Beach.
When I was leaving they where so nice and took me to Quepos to take my bus to San Jose again.
A vacation I will never forget !

Room Tip: The room was close the road, and its a little noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MauricioSagastume
Bellingham, Wa
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Coyaba Tropical B&B was our introduction to the many wonders of beautiful Costa Rica and what an introduction it was! Mike and Paul were the perfect hosts, welcoming and mellow, while unobtrusively attending to our needs and all other details with grace and kindness. They have created a gloriously landscaped and relaxing tropical setting beneath a jungle hill, with a lovely pool and jacuzzi to iron out our kinks after hours spent exploring the environs of Manuel Antonio. Mike set us up with a great guide for the park and we saw "muchos animales" with her knowledge and through her spotting scope that we would otherwise have missed. Paul's breakfasts of fresh local ingredients were delicious and substantial, easily the best we had in Costa Rica. We especially liked the fried plaintains. Our room was spacious, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The bus system between Quepos and Manuel Antonio is reliable and cheap and stops just across the street rendering a car unnecessary. Best of all we always felt like we were coming "home" after our daily adventures. My husband and I give our highest recommendation and sincere thanks to our delightful hosts at Coyaba Tropical B& B.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles V
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a great little B&B. Mike and Paul have done a fabulous job in making their gardens gorgeous, softening the site walls and making the pool & rancho areas wonderful places to relax. My room was beautifully designed and comfortable, making effective use of the space. (The glass-brick walled shower/commode feature another writer mentioned is a common feature across Costa Rica) Breakfasts were excellent and timing flexible. The dogs were very sweet, gentle and friendly. The provided beach sarong was very useful.

The B&B is well placed between Quepos and Manuel Antonio. It's a quick 15-20min walk downhill to Quepos but steep so be prepared to take bus/taxi back unless you like hiking. Bus is cheap but ask for bus stop locations as none are signed. Quick trip to Manuel Antonio and walking distance to restaurants as well.

Regarding sound levels, it is as noisy/quiet as every other B&B/Inn close to town that I've been too. The overwhelming soundscape of Costa Rica is roosters, dogs and motorcycle engines. Best to choose a remote inn (at the expense of access) or a bigger hotel chain for a quieter sleep. But as most tours start very early, waking up with the roosters isn't necessarily a bad thing...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Coyaba Tropical is a charming B&B with helpful owners, and we had a great experience. We stayed in one of the rooms facing the road - it's quiet at night but motorbikes and lorries started roaring past and waking me up around 5am every morning. The room was sparkling clean and beautifully decorated (though the people-behind-barbed-wire artwork on the walls was cool but a bit disconcerting). This was the nicest room we had in Costa Rica by far - a real treat. Also the best breakfasts, freshly cooked and served around their attractive pool area. We enjoyed both their small pool and their jacuzzi while we were there. It was nice that they provided beach sarongs, pool towels and bathroom towels. NB they have 3 friendly dogs. They also have a convenient honesty bar with beer, water and soft drinks and it was my own fault for not asking the prices beforehand, but when I got the bill and found they'd charged $2.50 USD for each 500ml bottle of water, I felt that was a bit excessive... Be aware. The location is good - most hotels in this area line the road between Quepos and Manuel Antonio and we made ample use of the frequent bus which cost 285 colones and took about 15 mins to the beach and park.

Overall I was very happy with this accommodation and great service, and as part of a gay couple, I appreciated it being explicitly gay-friendly (which indeed many places are in this area) - though they have a wide range of guests.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ms_scotsgirl
coyabatropical, Owner at Coyaba Tropical Bed and Breakfast - Adults Only, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Hello again ladies, we're so pleased to have been a part of your vacation experience. We take pride in offering our guests a warm and inviting place they can call home during their stay. All of our rooms have been individually decorated using locally made furniture and original artwork from local artists.

As you already noted, we offer a small selection of ice-cold beverages for guest convenience, with the price set to cover our cost for the product and refrigeration. However we are slightly puzzled why you would not know the prices since they are clearly marked inside the sign-out binder.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us, and for taking time to share your comments
hamilton, Montana
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I am a very light sleeper and our room was right next to the road, on a hill with traffic going up and down 20 feet away. If you stay here be sure to request a room much farther away from the main road. Limited parking if you are driving and we had to park on the street.

Mike, the innkeeper, was good about us cancelling our return stay on the way back from The Oso and we appreciate that very much. The breakfast was outstanding and the pool was great after a day of driving. The restaurant he recommended was very good - "Coconuts" and the folks there were absolutely great.

Remember - that Manuel Antonio Park is closed Mondays which had a lot to do with us making a change on our way back. Did not know this and Mike was very helpful. I would recommend staying here in a room away from the road. Room was interesting in that bath/commode was just a glass wall from the room itself.

Room Tip: Be aware of street noise if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deercrossing
coyabatropical, Owner at Coyaba Tropical Bed and Breakfast - Adults Only, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thanks for your comments, we really appreciate knowing you were impressed with our breakfast and that our pool area was a pleasant place to relax, however sorry you found Manuel Antonio too busy for your return stay.

During our renovations, we made considerable modifications to minimize ambient noise with new windows, doors and modern A/C with compressors mounted outside. As we discussed during your stay, Traffic is something we cannot control... and we share this information on our website... ``Coyaba Tropical is a fully restored Spanish Colonial property, located near the road to Manuel Antonio National Park which is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Costa Rica``. While there is very little traffic at night, however one of the realities of life in Central America is that Motorcycles are a part of the fabric here, and we appreciate these machines can sometimes be intrusive for some people, which is why we offer ear plugs for guests who may be more sensitive.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We sincerely hope the information provided about the National Park and local attractions was useful to help you plan the rest of your vacation.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had a nice stay here for 5 nights. The location is good, although getting to the beach requires some form of transportation (car, taxi, bus) - but this is true for most hotels. The rooms are well appointed, but noisy - they're all on the busy main road. With earplugs, we slept well. The bathroom and toilet clogged occasionally, and had a weird setup. The garden is gorgeous, and the tiny pool looks nice (didn't get to try it - the beach is much more inviting.) Overall, a relaxing atmosphere and great value. Best for gay travelers but all are welcome.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quepos
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio
Falls Resort at Manuel Antonio
#6 of 46 in Manuel Antonio
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalo...
#16 of 46 in Manuel Antonio
Hotel Mandarina
Hotel Mandarina
#23 of 46 in Manuel Antonio

Been to Coyaba Tropical Bed and Breakfast - Adults Only? Share your experiences!