“Paradise!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rochester, New York
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Had an absolutely incredible stay at Coyaba a few weeks ago with a group of friends. Mike and Paul were excellent hosts. Even before arriving, Mike was very prompt in answering any of my questions and concerns via email. He also arranged for private transportation to and from the airport with an excellent driver named Henry. We had arranged most of our tours prior to our trip, but Mike would have been happy to arrange them for us or make any recommendations. On one of our last days, he recommended and arranged an excellent nighttime rainforest walk on a private reserve with Hotel Si Como No, and also dropped us off to a local hiking trail that same morning so that we could hike to a nearby waterfall. Throughout the week Mike made several good recommendations for dinner, and even called one of the restaurants our first night to make sure they would be open for us to dine there. In the mornings, Paul cooked a delicious breakfast that was absolutely amazing every single time (and we stayed for 8 days)! He never made anything twice, and was very mindful of the dietary preferences of our group. In addition to our entree each morning there was always fresh tropical fruit, coffee, tea, juice and delicious homemade toast available. Some days we didn't even need to stop for lunch because the breakfast was so filling and satisfying! Overall, the level of service we received was wonderful, and both Mike and Paul went above and beyond to make sure we felt at home. In terms of the accomodations, the group of us shared two rooms that were both clean and comfortable. The decor was tasteful, the showers had hot water, and the ACs ran good and cold (a must for Costa Rica)! Free wifi was available too, and most of the time the signal was good. In terms of noise, the road is a bit noisy at night, but earplugs were provided for us in both rooms and the AC also did a decent job of drowning out some of the sound. As far as the rest of the property goes, it's absolutely gorgeous. The whole property is surrounded by lush, tropical vegetation and the pool and jacuzzi are both refreshing and clean. Some afternoons we spent hours at the pool, listening to music played through the outdoor speaker system while alternating between swimming and relaxing in one of the many lounge chairs surrounding the pool. Once in a while when we got thirsty we were able to grab a beer or water out of the fridge in the open air kitchen and mark it down in a notebook to settle up with Mike and Paul at the end of the stay. Overall, the accomodations and amenities are great, especially for the reasonable pricing! As far as location goes, you have to be aware that it is not located in the middle of all the action. It's basically halfway between Quepos and Manuel Antonio. There are a few restaurants and other hotels within walking distance, but other than that you will need a mode of transportation to get to the beach and to the park. However, the bus is fast, cheap, safe, and comfortable..and it stops right across the street! It runs fairly frequently and we rarely found ourselves waiting too long to pick it up. Other than that, we took some taxis in the evenings and never had much trouble flagging them down, and only had one driver try to rip us off. Overall, we had an unforgettable time in Costa Rica, and we truly enjoyed our stay with Mike and Paul...hopefully it won't be long before we'll be seeing them again!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I spent three days there in May, 2014 and found the place to be terrific. Mike and Paul couldn't be nicer hosts and the accommodations were very comfortable. Breakfast was great and healthy. We had been in Costa Rica for a couple of weeks already when we arrived and were looking for a place to kick back a bit. This was perfect, although there is plenty to do in the are if you looking for activity. There is a lot of comfortable seating. It's within walking distance of some good restaurants, and the bus runs right by the hotel if you want to go to either Quepos or Manuel Antonio. Mike and Paul went the extra mile with us and invited us along to a US-themed Memorial Day party, with live music and good beer. They really pay attention to details and were great hosts.

Room Tip: There is some street noise (although not bad at night), so one of the larger rooms toward the interi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I had come to Costa Rica on a "dental tourism" visit, and arrived at Coyaba by myself the day after oral surgery in San Jose to recover for a week before stitches could be removed. Fun, right? Loaded with pain killers and antibiotics, the surgeon had restricted my activity level - no zip lining, etc., for me! So, I needed to be in a place where I could rest, and if there were complications, and I needed help, someone was there who I could trust.

As soon as I arrived at Coyaba, I knew I was in the right place: two generous, caring and knowledgeable men, Mike and Paul, made me feel instantly comfortable and safe, and their dogs were full of love. And their home was so tranquil and beautiful; the pool was delicious. I had restrictions on what I could eat, and their breakfast was just perfect each day. I had to eat yogurt while on antibiotics, and they not only went out and got it for me, but allowed me to keep it in their refridgerator. They arranged a sailing trip; a guide to take me through the park; and even took me to a restaurant and a bar (yes, I know, I wasn't supposed to drink),etc.

A life-long New Yorker, I sadly know no Spanish (my bad), and had no rental car, so this presented some challenges for me about getting around. Coyaba is walking distance from nothing (and limited/non-existent sidewalks make walking dangerous) except the beautiful and expensive Gaia Hotel next door (unmissable for it's sunset cocktails). While the bus stop is directly across the street, you have to know how to use it in terms of what the stops are and when to get off. There's no bus map, and Costa Rica doesn't have street numbers, so it's all done by landmarks, which can be hard to see at night. Taxis are available, but become scarce at night, and without Spanish, I had to figure out a way to tell them where I wanted to go. (It always worked out. Some nice taxi drivers gave me their cards/numbers for return trips; others jerks tried to rip me off on price.) So, if I go again (and I would in a heartbeat), I think I'd rent a car. Or learn Spanish!!

I notice some reviews mention that the house is directly on the main roadway and was noisy, but, again, as New Yorker, this didn't bother me. This was amateur noise from my point of view!

This warm-spirited home welcomes both gay and straight people, so if you're not so warm-spirited, you may want to look elsewhere.

I cannot recommend Coyaba more highly!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank writerguy212
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Since i did the reservation, Mike & Paul ( the owners ) gave me all the info i need. They also gave me the links to take everytour I can imagine.. Traveling alone was not a problem in that beautiful hotel, there is a great atmosphere. The other guest also are so friendly. Breakfast is so healthy and on time always. We took (Mike & Paul, a couple of other guest and me ) the Sailing Boat tour one day and it was a wonderfull experience. We saw dolphings around the boat . I also took a tour by myself to Manuel Antonio and Canopy ( different days ), since that Im not affraid to highs any more... They recommend where to buy things, where to eat, and where to have fun ! Swiming in the hotel pool is a wonderful experience to socialice with all the guest. If you travel alone, this is your hotel, without any doubts. I totally recommend Coyaba HOtel, for me it was the vacations I was waiting for, and a little more.
I took the normal bus from San Jose, and the stop was just in front of the Hotel.
Everyday i could take a bus or a taxi to go to Quepos, or the other way to Manuel Antonio Beach.
When I was leaving they where so nice and took me to Quepos to take my bus to San Jose again.
A vacation I will never forget !

Room Tip: The room was close the road, and its a little noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MauricioSagastume
Bellingham, Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Coyaba Tropical B&B was our introduction to the many wonders of beautiful Costa Rica and what an introduction it was! Mike and Paul were the perfect hosts, welcoming and mellow, while unobtrusively attending to our needs and all other details with grace and kindness. They have created a gloriously landscaped and relaxing tropical setting beneath a jungle hill, with a lovely pool and jacuzzi to iron out our kinks after hours spent exploring the environs of Manuel Antonio. Mike set us up with a great guide for the park and we saw "muchos animales" with her knowledge and through her spotting scope that we would otherwise have missed. Paul's breakfasts of fresh local ingredients were delicious and substantial, easily the best we had in Costa Rica. We especially liked the fried plaintains. Our room was spacious, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The bus system between Quepos and Manuel Antonio is reliable and cheap and stops just across the street rendering a car unnecessary. Best of all we always felt like we were coming "home" after our daily adventures. My husband and I give our highest recommendation and sincere thanks to our delightful hosts at Coyaba Tropical B& B.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles V
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a great little B&B. Mike and Paul have done a fabulous job in making their gardens gorgeous, softening the site walls and making the pool & rancho areas wonderful places to relax. My room was beautifully designed and comfortable, making effective use of the space. (The glass-brick walled shower/commode feature another writer mentioned is a common feature across Costa Rica) Breakfasts were excellent and timing flexible. The dogs were very sweet, gentle and friendly. The provided beach sarong was very useful.

The B&B is well placed between Quepos and Manuel Antonio. It's a quick 15-20min walk downhill to Quepos but steep so be prepared to take bus/taxi back unless you like hiking. Bus is cheap but ask for bus stop locations as none are signed. Quick trip to Manuel Antonio and walking distance to restaurants as well.

Regarding sound levels, it is as noisy/quiet as every other B&B/Inn close to town that I've been too. The overwhelming soundscape of Costa Rica is roosters, dogs and motorcycle engines. Best to choose a remote inn (at the expense of access) or a bigger hotel chain for a quieter sleep. But as most tours start very early, waking up with the roosters isn't necessarily a bad thing...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Coyaba Tropical is a charming B&B with helpful owners, and we had a great experience. We stayed in one of the rooms facing the road - it's quiet at night but motorbikes and lorries started roaring past and waking me up around 5am every morning. The room was sparkling clean and beautifully decorated (though the people-behind-barbed-wire artwork on the walls was cool but a bit disconcerting). This was the nicest room we had in Costa Rica by far - a real treat. Also the best breakfasts, freshly cooked and served around their attractive pool area. We enjoyed both their small pool and their jacuzzi while we were there. It was nice that they provided beach sarongs, pool towels and bathroom towels. NB they have 3 friendly dogs. They also have a convenient honesty bar with beer, water and soft drinks and it was my own fault for not asking the prices beforehand, but when I got the bill and found they'd charged $2.50 USD for each 500ml bottle of water, I felt that was a bit excessive... Be aware. The location is good - most hotels in this area line the road between Quepos and Manuel Antonio and we made ample use of the frequent bus which cost 285 colones and took about 15 mins to the beach and park.

Overall I was very happy with this accommodation and great service, and as part of a gay couple, I appreciated it being explicitly gay-friendly (which indeed many places are in this area) - though they have a wide range of guests.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ms_scotsgirl
coyabatropical, Owner at Coyaba Tropical Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Hello again ladies, we're so pleased to have been a part of your vacation experience. We take pride in offering our guests a warm and inviting place they can call home during their stay. All of our rooms have been individually decorated using locally made furniture and original artwork from local artists.

As you already noted, we offer a small selection of ice-cold beverages for guest convenience, with the price set to cover our cost for the product and refrigeration. However we are slightly puzzled why you would not know the prices since they are clearly marked inside the sign-out binder.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us, and for taking time to share your comments
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quepos
Las Cascadas The Falls
Las Cascadas The Falls
#19 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
Hotel Mono Azul
Hotel Mono Azul
#1 of 16 in Quepos
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalo...
#17 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
#6 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
Hotel Plaza Yara
Hotel Plaza Yara
#5 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park

Been to Coyaba Tropical Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!