“Love the Malinche and the lobby with Dick Minton's portrait!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Malinche

Hotel Malinche
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Quepos
Nome, Alaska
“Love the Malinche and the lobby with Dick Minton's portrait!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2007

The Malinche is certainly not the five star you might wish for, but the rooms are very comfortable. The place is clean, location excellent, and the folks who own and run the place are very pleasant. I have stayed here many times in the last few years and while the place will not many awards, the location is second to none. On top of that, there is a great portrait in the lobby of the Malinche's number one customer, Dick Minton! I love the Malinche!

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — sometimes running low on hot water
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank jxmadison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
costa rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2005

I really loved my staying at the Hotel Malinche. This hotel is not a 5 stars hotel so you can´t expect luxury all around but anyway, there isn´t any luxury hotels in Quepos actually. I think this hotel represents a great value as the prices are quite reasonable and the rooms have air conditioning (that really works), hot water and cable color TV. The staff is friendly and always looking to keep the rooms cleaned. The hotel is very close to the finest restaurants in the Quepos area as it is located in Quepos main street. Access to transportation to the outstanding Manuel Antonio beaches and parks is very close. In the hotel is an office where you can book scuba diving and sport fishing tours. The actual owners of the hotel live there so the staff and personal is always attending their jobs as the owners are ALWAYS looking how things are going in the hotel. Quite recommended and will stay there again without hesitation as the hotels in the Manuel Antonio area are very similar and can charge you up to three times more.

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank miercoles
brisbane Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2005

I arrived expecting to have a room that I reserved, for the price I was quoted, and got neither. Quoted through their on web-site, I was quoted a low price of $10.00 for a room with fan, or $25.00 for a room with A/C. When I got there, and told them I had a reservation, I recieved a blank stare and a reply that the rooms were $25.00 with fan, and $40.00 for A/C.

Having flown all night, and driven from San Jose, I did not feel like arguing...took the fan room, and listened to disco music from down the street for hours. Even though it was the "green season" temps never got below 80 degrees that night in my room.

needless to say, that was the only night I stayed at the Malinche, and I would not stay there again if I had ANY choice. There were many other choices avalible at this that time of year, up the road tward Manuel Antonio. Shop around, and get the better deal.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank terryoconnell

Travellers are raving about these Quepos hotels

minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2005

I had a similar experience in that I called and booked ahead but when I got there the had no record of the call, my room wasn't available,and the price had gone up considerable on what was left. We're talking about $25.00 for a cheap room so not a big deal. Apparently reservations don't mean much. The low end rooms are just that, a cold shower, fan, bed, one towel. If you like quiet serene mornings this isn't the hotel for you. The nice thing about this hotel is a central location, a short walk to the water, and a nice looking exterior, for what that's worth. Quepos is hot and humid so this Minnesotan would probably think twice before choosing a fan over the air but the air conditioning about doubles the price. I'd consider it again but not by reservation, thus check in early and see the room first. All in all it was pretty much a "get what you pay for" room.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank BCNDWorld
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2005

This is the first of many L. Amer. hotels I've been to that doesn't honor confirmed Internet reservations (made through their own website and confirmed by their employees). In late February, we arrived on our entry date at 4PM and all of the A/C & hot water rooms were taken. Even admitting we were on their reservation list, the only rooms they had left available were with a measly fan and with cold (as in cold cold) water. My digital alarm clock showed our room varied between a sweltering 85-95 degrees. All other hotels were booked or wanted 90 USD or more. Two other arriving couples were left with the same predicament. One couple stayed, one left. Thus, my problem is with the wasted time on researching & confirming a reservation that wasn't fulfilled. There are various other hotels--nicer and more economical in the Quepos area where we'll stay next time.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank funnychap24
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2005

I have been staying at the Malinche for the last 9 visits to Quepos/ Manual Antonio.
It is close to the fishing pier for sports fishing. One can walk to all the restaurants in the area, El Banco bar, Gran Escape.
You can walk to tbe grocery store, and walk to the bus or taxi stand.
It is secure and quiet.
The owners are excellent!

6 Thank ticobirra
Leicester, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2004

We arrived in Quepos, hot, tired after a long, long bus journey from San Jose. The budget hotels we looked at seemed airless and claustrophobic, then we saw the cool courtyard of the Hotel Malinche, and knew it was the right place for us.
The woman on Reception was friendly and helpful, and the room was clean, comfortable and a good price.
There was no noise from other guests, and the room was kept spotless while we explored the local delights of Manuel Antonio National Park.
We were so comfortable there, we decided to stay 5 nights.
One night, we were delighted to see a huge Cane toad, hopping through the courtyard towards the shrubbery - he was quite a beauty!
We never felt we needed to worry about security of our belongings while we were there, and I'd be happy to recommend the hotel.

5 Thank Louise R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quepos
Hotel Mono Azul
#9 of 16 in Quepos
Las Cascadas The Falls
Las Cascadas The Falls
#18 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park

Been to Hotel Malinche? Share your experiences!