“Great Stay”

Serenity Boutique Hotel Quepos
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Quepos
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We enjoyed a two-week stay at the la Sirena Hotel. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Also, there is a bilingual staff at the reservations counter which made communicating easy. Our room was cleaned daily and provided with fresh towels. The linen on the bed was changed often. We felt safe. The hotel provided all the amenities advertised on the web. I recommend this hotel.

Disfruté mi estancia de dos semanas en la Sirena hotel. El personal fue muy amable y servicial. También, hubo personal bilingüe en la recepción que hizo fácil nuestra comunicacion. El hotel ofrece todas las comodidades que se anuncian en la web. Yo recomiendo este hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Before writing the opinion, i read some others and get surprised on what someone paid (20usd!!??) and what we paid (80usd). Our room was supposed to be the basic one ...

Hotel is greatly located in Quepos, and service is kind and helpfull. Breakfast is ok; if it's not enough for you, you have a great bakery just in front of the hotel.

But i am still wondering how and why did the hotel owner closed the hotel with these big windows inside and outside the construction. The resulting sauna effect in a town like Quepos is absolutely terrible, and moreover when rooms' a/c machine are so loudy that you gotta choose, during night between hot or noise!!!

On the way to Manuel Antonio (13kms far from Quepos) you have lots of resorts/hotels, and if you are a mid+ budget traveller i would recommend to check something else.
Quepos is interesting since it conserves the reminescence of charming CR towns, even if gringos sport fishing turists can ruin the picture sometimes (notr always :)).

If you can book a 20usd room, it is worth of it, if not, choose something else.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaniElFrances
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I made a solo trip to Costa Rica and on a last minute whim headed to the Pacific Coast for some beach, monkey, sloth and wave time. I didn't want to stay in Manuel Antonio fearing a great number of tourists and expensive hotels so I choose a hotel in Quepos. I emailed the hotel from a computer at my hotel in San Jose and then called. The yong lady who e-mailed me back was terrific, she confimed my room number and volunteered a discounted rate from the rate advertised at their website. The young man who answered my phone call spoke excellent english and told me what type off transportation to take once I landed at Quepos ariport. He was the front desk person when I arrived too early to check in and he offered to hold my luggage in his office while at the same calling housekeeping to have them get my room ready in twenty minutes so I didn't have to wait three hours for regular 3:00 check in. Every staff person at La Sirena Hotel demonstrated this level of professionalism and courtesy: from the lady who made cook- to -order eggs at the morning breakfast (included in the price of the room) to the sweet. no-nonense older gentleman who manned the front foor at night and made sure only hotel guests entered after 9 p.m. ( I felt again like a high school girl, kissing my date goodnight on the front porch and explaining my dad's house rule: no boys allowed to visit after curfew !.) My room was perfect: air conditioner, in-room safe, dorm room refridgerator (saved me on food expenses because I could bring back lunch and dinner left-overs, no other hotel on my trip offered in-room fridge) and an abundance of soft towels. Oh, and free internet of course.

O.K., to sum up: stay at this hotel if you want high-er end hotel amenities at super affordable rates, caring English speaking staff who genuinely want your stay to be fantastic, fresh made to order eggs, fruit, pancakes and juice every morning, a lovely little pool for post-pacific relaxing, and a clean, safe, stay in Quepos, a town with great food, affordable stores (if you forgot to pack your bathing suit etc.) energetic night life, and a seventy five cent bus ride to the most visited park in Costa Rica with picture perfect beaches .

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quieter though no real view. Of course, sun down is shortly after six this clos...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
zarpe77, General Manager at Serenity Boutique Hotel Quepos, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for your kind review.. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Value for money good breakfast not crowed pool very safe and not seedy town as some have said. Very comfortable. Reccomend this town to stay in close to all activities not like Jaco and overrated Marriot.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This hotel doesn't look great from the outside but inside the rooms are nice, great showers and comfortable beds. The breakfast area is lovely and the breakfast was good if a little basic. The pool is great and the staff members speak good english and are friendly and helpful. Great for a budget hotel and a great location. Good wifi too, no complaints at all!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

What a great stay!!! Carolina was the best and Jorge was very helpful as well. The hotel itself is just as stated in other posts, clean, quiet etc. The breakfast was delicious with 4 types of fruits and juice every morning with fried or scrambled eggs with toast. The dining area is adjacent to the pool which is a beautiful place to eat.
Carolina and Jorge were really what made this place work for us. We sent AT LEAST a dozen emails before our stay confirming different things and arranging tours. They were very helpful with that. We used the online booking process and it worked out great.
We took a trip to panama on Ticabus from San Jose and the new route now goes next to the quepos intersection. Our idea was that on the way back from panama if Ticabus could drop us off there but we dont speak spanish. I emailed the hotel and asked them to call Ticabus to see if it would be okay to do this and also I asked Jorge to translate a message for the conductor telling them to drop us off. We were at an internet cafe waiting for the reply and it took less than an hour to get it all worked out. That is what you are paying for when you come here... excellent service!

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room... ask for upstairs away from pool. We had #4 next to the pool and it see...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We had kind of a mixed experience with La Sirena Hotel.

Frustrating reservation process: First of all, I made my reservation using their online form, but they apparently did not receive it. I sent two follow up emails to the email listed on their website, but received no response. I called the day before, and got the security guard who said he couldn't make a reservation. I called the next morning, and got a lady who told me I could reserve the room, but she'd only hold it for me until 2:30 (an hour after our bus was supposed to arrive). Once we actually arrived, it was clear we were one of the only people staying there so the warning seemed a bit harsh.

Great location, amenities: The hotel is very nicely located in Quepos, it's on a quiet street a block or so from the oceanfront (not swimmable, by the way) with many awesome restaurants only a block or two away. We were able to make reservations through the hotel desk, which was very helpful. Most of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The pool was nice, rooms were clean and AC worked well. Breakfast was fruit, coffee, some type of juice (varied day to day) and scrambled or fried eggs with toast. After checkout, they allowed us to leave our bags behind the desk until our bus arrived that evening.

Oddities about the number of people in our group: We had five people staying here, three in one room and two in another. For some reason, the staff were counting us each morning for breakfast, making us wonder if they thought we were sneaking people in or if we weren't all supposed to get breakfast. Not a huge deal, but made us a little uncomfortable. After two nights, we decided we wanted to stay one more night. My wife had to head back to Santo Domingo, so we checked out of our upstairs room and I slept on the floor downstairs. I assumed this would be no problem, since the rates page on their website states the room holds 2-4 people. That evening, a man I assume was the manager knocked on the door and asked how many people were staying in the room. I said 4, and he said that we'd only paid for 3 and he was going to have to charge us extra for the fourth person. I didn't want to make a scene over $20 so I didn't argue with him but it was pretty frustrating that their website didn't state this clearly, nor did they mention anything about a cost per person when we checked in or when we extended the downstairs room another night.

Long story short: make sure you're very clear with them about how many people you have in your room each night so you don't run into any issues.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quepos
Hotel Mono Azul
Las Cascadas The Falls
#17 of 46 in Manuel Antonio
3 mi away
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalo...
#19 of 46 in Manuel Antonio
0 mi away
Hotel Villa Romantica
Hotel Villa Romantica
#5 of 14 in Quepos

Been to Serenity Boutique Hotel Quepos? Share your experiences!