“Perfect place to spend a (cheap) night before heading to Manuel Antion”
Review of Hotel Mar y Luna

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Quepos
Hotel Mar y Luna
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Quepos
Antwerp, Belgium
“Perfect place to spend a (cheap) night before heading to Manuel Antion”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

During our road trip through Costa Rica we wanted to stay overnight in Quepos and head to Mnauel Antonio national park in the morning. We arrived late in Quepos and checked out some hotels. As we were just spending the night we were looking for something inexpensive. An older gentleman welcomed us at Hotel Mar Y Luna. He was so friendly, and it’s always a good choice to spend your money with locals. Not sure if he speaks English, as we communicated in Spanish. We got a cute little room, with ensuite bathroom, fan and airco. There was also a tv and a hot shower. But mention worthy, this was the only place in costa rica where they had normal double layered toilet paper :-D Wifi was also free. There is someone at the reception 24h, and we parked our car in front of the hotel on the street where the night guard kept a look on it (which was very kind). There is little communal balcony where you can relax. Breakfast was not included but as the hotel has a good location just go and have breakfast somewhere or pass by a panaderia to get some pastries for on the road. We payed 30USD for the room, but cheaper ones with only fan are available. Price/Quality this was a good place to stay overnight.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I've read some bad reviews about this place but I have to disagree with them. I stayed here 2 nights on a solo trip while backpacking all over the country. It is budget accomidation so don't go here expecting The Hilton, but if you are just looking for a good place to get a nights sleep, Mar y Luna is not bad at all. I especially liked the balcony they have. It was right down the hall from my room. Great place to have a few beers and people watch!! The owner was also very friendly with me and went out of his way to make me feel welcome!! Pura Vida!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mark D
Bujumbura, Burundi
Reviewed 2 July 2013

If we had a little more time to find housing, we are not at that did not stay in this awful place. The hotel owner is able to sell you a room, but after he left home staff is on you do not care. Stipulated hot water does not appear, requests are not fulfilled. Inside, everything remains as it was 30 years ago when, I think, the hotel appeared a pile of debris in the lobby, too, speaks volumes. Chewing condoms!

Room Tip: Look closely at the hotel across the road, or perhaps to the hotel with a casino on the waterfront.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Quepos hotels

Cullman, Alabama
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I just spent 10 wonderful days and the Hotel Mary Luna and could not have been happier. Having blown a bunch of money at another local hotel for 5 days, I decided to look around a bit for something descent where I could save some cash since the restraurants in Quepos are very expensive in general. i could not have been more pleased with the hotel or the service. I needed a place to sleep, do some work on the computer, and shower. The rooms are basic, but that is all I needed or wanted. The wanted to clean my room, but I declined as it was not necessary. The family/owners treated me like a king and went out of their way to help me at every turn. Laundry service was great and inexpensive too. As far a needing toilet paper as a post above suggested, what part of asking for it when needed do you not understand. I had no problem with theft and there was always someone watching my room for me and they even let me store some extra things is a secure room behind the reception desk.

I am a little suspicious about any review that would say that the staff was not courteous because I saw them interacting with clients for 10 days. I was treated like I was a member of the family! They helped me avoid making typical tourist mistakes and gave lots of good advice. No complaints from me.

Room Tip: I stayed upstairs in Room 38 and it was great. They even spontaneously brought in a TV, table, and...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My wife and I lived in Costa Rica for a year, while traveling around we trusted our lonely planet book which lead us here.

After our first day out of the hotel we returned to find our laptop stolen, money, credit cards, everything of value. We are grateful to have left our passports in our apartment in Playa del Coco.

We highly suspect the family that owns it stole everything, a key was used to get in, and it is such a small establishment (only one other guest at the time) that it is hard to believe somebody broke in.

The owner was completely insensitive to our loss. He would not even refund us the remaining night we had pre payed when we insisted we would not stay there another night.

Pay the extra money to stay somewhere were the family owned hotel won't rob you blind!

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank guarddog25
California
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I hate to write such a negative review (and, in fact, this is my first negative review) but if I knew what I know now, you couldn't pay me to stay in this hotel!

This hotel apparently also serves as the home of an extended family; nice enough people (aren’t all Ticos) but not very good hosts. They basically live their very noisy life right outside your bedroom door from about 5:30 a.m to 9:30 p.m. (I had to laugh at their sign in the room asking you to be considerate of other guests and not play your radio.) I read fairly good reviews of this place considering that it is a budget hotel and thought I‘d stay here for my visit to Manuel Antonio. When I arrived at the hotel (low season) to inquire about a room, I was told a private room w/bath was $60. I thought I heard wrong as this is a BUDGET hotel and the nicer hotels in town were charging less. I declined but then was told there are “singles” for $10. I was showed a “single” room. It is tiny, just a bed, some shelves a bare light bulb overhead and a fan. There is a shared bathroom with a cold water shower and a sink outside the bathroom. Thinking that there appeared to be no other guests in the hotel, I’d rough it and that way I could save to splurge on a really nice hotel later in my trip.BIG MISTAKE! Little did I know the family (which consists of multiple generations) lived right outside the door of my room, uses the shared bathroom and had their kitchen and dining area literally a few feet away from the door of my room. (Which btw will include the smells of everything they cook and their cigarettes wafting through your room.) It is not particularly comfortable to go in for your morning shower right next to a family eating breakfast. To make it even worse, the bathroom ran out of toilet paper and even though they knew that, they didn’t bother to replace it. I wouldn’t call the place clean; I wouldn’t call it filthy either, but it’s pretty disgusting (some questionable stains on the wall and elsewhere). Hey, I am not a picky person (obviously, or I wouldn’t have even considered this place) and I have been travelling all over Costa Rica on a budget. This is the first experience where I would say…no warn….DON’T STAY HERE (AT LEAST IN THEIR SINGLE ROOMS!). Perhaps the private rooms are better, but somehow, I doubt it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I was travelling alone and I stayed at Mar Y Luna for one night. The woman manager (Manuella?) and younger man employee were kind and the room was tidy. A double with private cold shower for only 14$. The hotel is close to the bus station which means that it's close to Manuel Antonio as the bus ride is only 20 minutes and lets you off at the beautiful, big, free public beach or the park gate. In fact I went back and forth twice in one day. (the bus runs very frequently). There is laundry at the hotel and it's affordable too. They let me store my bag after check-out. A good deal.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo