“Quality, Piece of Mind & Support Found Here”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Le Mas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Escazu
Villa Le Mas
NY
“Quality, Piece of Mind & Support Found Here”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I chose Villa Le Mas when my medical tourism coordinator, Tom from Platinum Medical Vacations, Inc., suggested it. Typically, I don't read any reviews when I travel as I often find that people are rather nit-picky in ways I am not.

I stayed in Villa Joop which has sweeping views of the mountains and the valley. Waking up to those views and that fabulous mountain breeze is highly conducive to healing and recovery. I got a tour of the different villas and all are beautiful. I'd recommend any of them though next time, I'm going to a pay a little extra and go for Villa Chanel because of the views, the black & white "sheik" decor and the spaciousness.

Petra is fantastic! She has a wonderful sense of humor, skills with coordination and organization and a deep sense of human care. I needed very little while I stayed; however, I knew that anything I may have needed or wanted (within healthy reason) would have been acquired by Petra. She is a great listener, has a fascinating life story and respects the privacy of her guests. Furthermore, she treats her staff with tremendous dignity and consideration. I deeply appreciated that about her.

Justina takes great pride in her work. My bathroom and villa were spotless thanks to her work ethic. She delivered my delicious and nutritionally balanced meals each time with a wonderful smile. She made sure I had clean clothes, friendly conversation and my periodic frosted flakes craving! I valued her presence each day I was here! 

Johanna was the kind and helpful nurse that came in each day to monitor my progress. Her gentle and knowledgeable demeanor addressed any care or concern I may have had. She was terrific on every single level. I should also note that my surgery nurse, Erica, also has worked @ VLM so clearly, experienced and quality nurses are hired to care for the recovering guests.

Petra coordinates all pick-ups and drop-offs for doctor and surgery appointments and general needs. The gate guards are very professional, appropriately greeting guests and taxi drivers alike. Randy, one of the drivers assigned to provide transportation for VLM guests, is outstanding! He is a kind and humble. We had some wonderful conversations and I feel like I got a genuine sense of Costa Ricans or Ticos as they are called locally, through his eyes.

Elena is the masseuse with the fabulously magic hands and heart! She is unique and special in ways words can’t fully describe! Not only does she offer phenomenal lymphatic massages, she has an aura of positivity that made an enormous difference in my stay. Describing her impact is challenging because to some, referring to her spiritual essence implies something cheesy or perhaps religiously fundamental! My interactions with her were not cheesy or religious in anyway. She simply has an amazing sense of purpose, hope and inner peace. She blessed me with her kind words and wishes and made me feel invincible! Mil gracias!!!!!

Finally, since I mentioned the meals and a few posted comments have not praised them, I’d like to describe them a little differently to assist with expectations. Yes, healthy nutritionally balanced meals are served each day. They’re also tasty, “slow cooker-type”, casserole-like that warm the belly and keep the healing going. It’s clear there aren’t any preservatives in these meals and I for one appreciate that! Come with clear expectations—no, it’s not US standard gourmet meals. It’s healthy, balanced nourishment for your body which will aid in your healing!

I've traveled the world, lived in underdeveloped countries and embrace opportunities to experience different types of vacations! I have not been disappointed by my experience at Villa Le Mas for 12 days in August 2011. It was worth it on many levels and I’m forever grateful to Petra, Justina, Johanna, Elena and Randy @ the security guards for their kindness and friendship!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Liz F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bernardsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Le Mas is an incredible delight! I stayed during cosmetic surgery and never could have expected any better treatment.

Petra the General Manager was on top of everything in her quiet and unassuming manner. The people who worked there were wonderful to the point of "feeling like friends."

Every day a nurse visited, the staff presented breakfast lunch and dinner exactly as promised-- and more if your tummy needed it! The view from the villa was grand with ripening bananas on the trees and the beautiful sunsets and tropical birds.
Transportation was exactly as scheduled (actually I never had to worry about my schedule-- Petra managed it all!

The doctors all acknowledged that "at Le Mas, there are no problems--they really know what they are doing." Nice compliments from demanding professionals.

The best reinforcement of their care was the last day of my stay when I travelled and didn't return until later-- the staff waited for me to return to clean my clothes and ensure that I had no laundry to do when I arrived back in the states! Awesome.

Privacy was a high priority as was meeting commitments. I would go back-- with or without “medical" tourism-- maybe I will have to fake a tummy ache!

Highly recommended.

Jeannette Galvanek ( New Jersey)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank JennaCarrol
Texarkana, Arkansas
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I didn't know exactly what to expect other then Petra, the manager, had communicated with me for weeks on a daily basis before my arrival. This was assurance for me that I would be truly taken care of during my stay. I was there as a surgical patient and my husband and best friend came to support me. Petra supported all of us with her caring demeanor and superb attention to everything. She did everything possible to make my stay pleasant by accomidating me and making sure I was able to get anything I wanted and things she provided to me that I didn't request which were extra perks she afforded me. For the 15 days we stayed, Petra checked on me several times a day,. Everything the doctors order, she knew exactly what it was before I could tell her. Alway one step ahead of me regarding my recovery. The maids were very attentive and made our villa clean and comfortable. I enjoyed visiting with them and learning about their culture. The nurse was so sweet and just had that healing personality and I felt better everyday she visited me. They kept me calm and tranquil which is condusive to healing, not to mention the scenery from the Glass Studio where I think I could live just for the view alone.
The food was nutritional and very good. Not full of added calories and junk I didn't need. If those who went with me wanted snacks, they went out and got it.
The complimentary message was delightful, the community dinner one evening in the beautiful community dining room was a treat and we met others who were also recovering and shared stories.
I plan to go back for more surgery in a few months. I will return to LeMas because that is where my heart is

Room Tip: Look at the LeMas website to preview rooms
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Happy646464
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I went to Costa Rica for cosmetic surgery and LeMas was recommened
to me by our surgeon's patient coordinator. We could not have been happier with my stay.
The manager, Petra, was outstanding in her overseeing every aspect of our stay.
For less than $100 per night I had: three meals a day, a snack, RN nursing care, maid,
driver for appointments, fantastic views from my balcony.
I have to laugh when I read about the food portions. They, like the rest of the world, serve
fruit and veggies as a large portion of every meal, smaller amounts of carbs, and a good size portion of protein, but not geared to obesity size. Not only was every meal well balanced for a healthy lifestyle but it was tasty too.
I had someone to help me shower, wash and dry my hair, change my bandages, check my
wounds, take my temperature, and contact my surgeon daily.
All of this in a spacious villa with my own kitchen, bathroom, living area, and balcony for
less than $100 per night. I can't imagine anyone complaining about LeMas.
On top of this I had free calling to the US anytime of the day, wifi in my room, maid cleaning my room daily, fresh linens, and other patients to chat with so I did not feel so alone.
Petra and her staff made my stay perfect!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank LindyAnn34515
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 June 2011

If you are looking for an after care facility for cosmetic surgery, this is the place. Pros - everything. Cons - nothing. The views are spectacular and Petra and her staff go above and beyond. The food was beyond delicious. Customer service exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank dmmonte
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Hi All,

Probably like a lot of you, I was confused with the polar opposite reviews posted for this place. I liked the idea of privacy as I am recovering from total knee replacement (thanks Dr. Badilla) and knew I would be spending all my time at the facility except for physio and check ups. Just for reference I am only 40 and have traveled extensively and I knew I had to think of this differently than any other trip I have taken.

I will be here in Costa Rica for another 5 days (total stay for 2 weeks) and so far the only compliant I have is that I am already bored with sitting/lying on my butt and would rather be exploring. That being said I couldn't have picked a better place to be stationary and focused on rehab. I will try and address my concerns before coming and some that have appeared in other reviews.

Petra, the manager - if she has a fault it is that tries to hard. She checks in multiple times during the day to see if she can do anything for you and offers to pick up items for you when she is out shopping. I have found her to be funny and caring. From my interactions with her she really seems contentious.

Justina/Rosa, staff - wonderful ladies and do a great job cleaning and laundry. Rosa even managed to get the blood off my nightgown from the hospital. They always have a smile and will do what they can to make you feel at home.

Johanna, RN - professional and sweet. She has come every day, given me my meds and injections and then cleans the incision. This was one of the selling points over a hotel for me- the peace of mind you get when you have a professional keeping an eye on things. I am paranoid that something will go wrong because so far I am pain-free and am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Elena, masseuse - okay she has magic hands and works at 4 different hospitals/clinics in SJ. The included massage before surgery helped me relax. So you pay money for additional massages - show me somewhere where you pay what you are paying here get 3 meals delivered and free spa. Sorry folks been at some world class spas and you get one 30/60 minute with your stay, no meals and pay upwards of $80 for more sessions. I think you have to be somewhat realistic here on expectations. I will say $30 is a steal to have this woman massage you.

Food - look this isn't a culinary haven but that being said the food is good and at times really good. Breakfast has eggs, fruit and toast/oatmeal - hearty by my standards. Lunch either a massive salad with protein and multiple veggies or soup and salad. Dinner is fish (so far salmon or talapia (sp)) or chicken, sauteed or steamed veggies and jello or custard. I have not been able to eat everything every day as I find there's almost too much to eat. Yes we are used to processed food and us North Americans are not great at portion control but I can honestly say I have not been hungry (often the opposite).

Rooms - staying in Villa Chanel. I picked this for ground accessibility and that it is roomy so that I can walk as I rehab on an even floor and not have to be outside with my walker. The glass walls provide amazing views especially in T-storms. The beds are comfy and I am grateful as I am spending much of time in them! Always had hot water and electricity which is saying something since we were just outside the epicenter of a 6.0 quake earlier this week. Heck didn't even lose WiFi which shocked me.

Now on to non clinical assessments of requirements during recuperation - you are in Costa Rica it is humid except for a few places on the West coast. If your surgery is in San Jose you will not escape humidity. I like being in the mountains and find it a little less humid than when you are in SJ. My wound is always dry and 5 days after surgery no signs of infection. It is also quieter here which is good because I have had to nap after physio a few times. Air quality seems better if nothing else because there are less cars.

So there you have it, do your research and decide what is important to you. A word of advice; don't skimp out on aftercare if you are having major surgery - it is your health and the early days are pretty important to recovery. Would I choose this place again if I am unfortunate to have to have another surgery? Yes.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank travelling_chica
Big Bear City, California
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I am very thankful that I chose Villa LeMas for my aftercare facility. My husband and I stayed 16 days. The care was excellent and the views were spectacular. We stayed in Villa Chanel. I had a face lift and I must tell you that I am the biggest chicken in the world. I think that the best part of my experience was having Petra, the manager, as my crutch. She has a medical background; has dealt with numerous patients and all types of surgeries; and the best part is she made me feel comfortable and confident at all time. Each day a darling
RN came and checked my vitals and wounds. Johanna is a doll and again gave me confidence that I was doing well.
The grounds and views at Le Mas are lovely. The rooms are clean and mine was charming. It is not the Fairmont or the Wynn, and if that is what you are looking for then stay in Beverly Hills and pay the price. We chose CR for a reason!
I have noticed several complaints about the food. I think as Americans we are used to eating very large portions. The portions are smaller, but very tasty. Always, for dinner, a large portion of fresh sautéed veggies and a serving of some yummy protein. I never had just a bowl of soup for lunch. If it were soup, it was accompanied with a nice salad.
Some of the salads are spectacular. Perhaps dental patients are served according to their needs. If you need something extra like crackers with your salad, you may ask for it. I like toast with my morning eggs and lovely fresh fruit bowls, but it is not typical to serve it with a Costa Rican breakfast. All you need to do is ask for toast, butter, and jam and Petra will honor your request. If you want a few extra munchies, have a cab driver stop at The Atlantis shopping center and go to the market, or ask Petra to pick you up your snacks. They have everything. You can provide your own snacks and Petra will help you with any request you have. Pretty simple.
It was our 40th wedding anniversary and Petra went out of her way to make a very special dinner. We even invited the guests at the Villa and my husband's new made friend and fishing guide. We had a lovely evening visiting and listening to others life's stories. Petra even made my husband a special dessert without sugar.
Petra helped us with renting a car. That was key for short outings. We went to the Central Valley and saw some beautiful landscapes. After you have had a cab driver take you to your clinic several times, it's pretty easy to find your way around. Escazu is great to cruz around. We found a lovely coffee shop, Spoons, and enjoyed going there each day. It's on the road to Santa Ana. I did indulge in some of their pastries, but only a few times. If you don't want to rent a car, Petra will arrange for you to go on tours.
While we were there, I wanted to check out a few of the other facilities. I drove by Paradise Inn and from the outside it looked very dry and unappealing. I know that the back side is where the view is, and that the inside is nice. I did not go in. It is in an area that I would not want to stay in. I also went to Las Cumbres and they were kind enough to take me on a tour. The grounds are lovely and the rooms are nice but small. The interior is also nice. It is very much like staying in a hotel. I preferred having my own 500 plus square feet with bathroom, kitchen and living space. I lived, ate, and slept in our lovely little space for sixteen days.
I am very happy with my results and with my experience at Villa Le Mas. Remember we went to Costa Rica for a reason. I saved thousands of dollars; was cared for by a wonderful staff; and I couldn't be happier. Thank you, Petra, for a great experience and for taking such good care of us. Thank you, Dr. Rosenstock, for a beautiful face lift.
Happy Traveler!!!