Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
US$276
US$100
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu(Escazu)(Great Value!)
US$101
Apartotel Don Francisco(Escazu)(Great Value!)
US$57
US$123
Posada El Quijote(Escazu)(Great Value!)
US$85
Out of Bounds Hotel(Escazu)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$58
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,424 results
All reviewsclub towercaravan tourcosta ricasan josesushipool areabeautiful hotellobby barfood courtmultiplaza mallbreakfast buffetgrocery storebusiness tripalfredofree internetbusiness centercentral america
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The staff is so friendly! Check in was easy. I ate at the breakfast buffet and there was a great selection and food was amazing. I also ate at the steak and seafood restaurant and it was pretty good. The lobby bar had amazing food! The restaurant that has breakfast is open 24hrs. I think that is really amazing! I've never been to a hotel that has a 24hr restaurant. But it came in handy! The pool is nice and clean. the rooms are great and comfy. The bed is amazing.... I could sleep forever in that bed. I must say, the entire staff hotel that I came in contact with was so nice. It really made me feel comfortable staying here. And anytime I needed something, they were there to help in a second. My room key didn't work on my door and one of the workers in the hallway happened to pass by and noticed that I was having trouble getting into my room. He called someone to help me and in a few minutes, someone came to replace the batteries in the door. This hotel has great service and I'd love to stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Aloha1977
Ramon_Diago, Director General at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you very much for your nice comment about our hotel. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay, particularly our beds, the variety or selections at breakfast, your diner at Factor, our steak and lobster restaurant and our new 24 hour restaurant The Market.
It makes us also very happy to real your comments about the friendliness of our staff, we do appreciated it, rest assure I will share your review with them.
We hope we can welcome you back in your next trip to Costa Rica. Thank you again.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

When you rate a hotel, you should probably take into account the specific area that it is in in order to be fair. You could notch up an extra point if there were no better option around. That being said, there are plenty of very good hotels in western San Jose or even in the relatively small (but busy) town of Escazu, and the Real Intercontinental would rank very high even if compared to hotels products in the largest cities of Latin America.

This is a close-to-perfect hospitality option, on any scale.

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the last decade. While the main hotel is about 15 years old, it has received all sorts of updates and remodelings, including a revamp of its almost 300 original rooms, the lobby, and the pool area. It will soon have the largest conference center in the country annexed to it. The City Tower is a relatively new construction, with about 100 rooms that are beautifully appointed and exceptionally comfortable. All rooms have relatively high ceilings…especially those on the top floors. Here, there are a coupe of larger suites and a top-of-the-line Presidential Suite, truly fit for rock stars and spendthrift CEOs…I actually got a tour of it about 2 years ago. The important thing is that the rooms are well built, the sound proofing is better than average, and quality of sleep is very good.

The Spa, at City Tower's ground-level, is easily the most complete and beautiful urban spa in Central America. I would expand that scale, as, to me, it offers a better and more complete experience than, for example, Patagonia's five-star Llao Llao, or even Grupo Real's own J.W.Marriott in CR's northern Pacific area. But I guess that this is not a claim that one particular traveler could or should make. The gym is one of the best gyms I've ever used. It will only be inferior to those of hotels that partner up with urban gym concepts, like the Wash D.C. Ritz and L.A. Fitness combo, for example.

There are 3 relatively new, side-by-side restaurants to the left of the main lobby. These are:

Factory, a steakhouse, managed by a true Argentinian "parrillero" named Sergio. It is very, very good, competing well with the top steak houses in SJ.

Alfredo, an Italian restaurant led by a chef from northern Italy, with good and varied, authentic fare.

Nau, a sushi bar, that has consistently improved since it opened about 4 years ago and is now usually crowded in the evenings…even on a wednesday night…

The main restaurant had been closed for what seemed like almost a year and they recently launched the brand-new "The Market" which gives clients the option to build their own salads, hamburgers, pizzas, etc. There are other options and a full a-la-carte menu. generally, I am not fond of this type of restaurant, but again, they have done a good job with the concept and they will work out the few, minor glitches that it may have, as service seems more compromised here than at the other, smaller restaurants. The pizzas are good, although perhaps not as good as those you may eat at Pane e Vino, a local upscale chain, or at Bacchus, a high-end Italian place in neighboring Santa Ana.

There is no open access WiFi internet in the lobby. You have to get passcodes and these tend expire quickly. I am thinking that, perhaps because of the scale of the hotel, they have had bandwidth issues due to visitors or guests that hog it up. I am not sure what the reason is, but this is certainly not expected from this hotel, especially when the local Bagelmen's and Starbucks have open WiFi and lighting-fast connections.

The hotel has ideal conference, private party, and business areas. Lobby bathrooms are nice. Front desk and concierges are courteous and effective. During one of my stays, i had issues with my AC. The problem was well-addressed. A technician showed up (note: it was after 10pm) and, once he saw that it was not a problem to be quickly resolved, I was moved to a new room, of comparative level.

Location-wise, the Real Intercontinental is ideal. It is right in the middle of Escazu's commercial area, full of office and retail space, including Plaza Roble and Multiplaza. Forum, is about 2 miles to the west, off the same highway. The center of San Jose is a few miles to the east. The airport (SJO) is about 30 minutes away, to the north west. FOR TRAVELERS CATCHING EARLY FLIGHTS, I recommend staying at the San Jose Marriott, which is a nice, comparable alternative. There are hotels that are adjacent to the airport, but they are not at the same level, in any way. I make this recommendation because from the Intercontinental there are two logical ways to get to SJO International. One involves going towards Sabana, near the town center, and taking the Panamerican Highway. The other forces you to take the "Radial de Belen", right through Lindora. Both of these routes can get very saturated during traffic hours, especially on a friday. The 30 minute drive could easily double and, if luck is not on your side, occasionally…it can be worse. If you are going to head to SJO before 630am, between 9am and 3pm or after 7pm, you shouldn't have any issues, in any case.

Readers usually want to hear about the downsides. I can say that on a couple of occasions, while there was a large wedding going on or when they have their annual "wine festival", parking is not so easy to come by. But this does not happen every evening and, they just started offering valet parking for $6. I'd be hard pressed to find more negative comments to include here. PRICES, ALL AROUND, ARE VERY FAIR.

I believe that if you read a bad review here, that particular traveler was subject to a rare situation or simply "woke up on the wrong side of the bed". Please note, I do not work for this company nor do I have any moral debt with them. I am merely a satisfied, repeat client. Have a good trip!

Room Tip: Although there are projects in construction in the vicinity, I do not believe that these affect guest comfort, at all.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Gacho

Thank you very much for your nice comment about our hotel. We are glad that you particularly enjoyed your room, our array of restaurants and the breakfast.

I do deeply appreciate you wonderful review about our hotel.
It makes me very happy to read how you appreciate every aspect of all the changes we have done the past few years, our rooms, restaurants and spa.
I want to take the opportunity to share with you our soon to come refurbishment of our main lobby and the opening July 2013, of our new Convention Center, it would be the largest in the city.
Thank you very much again for taking your time to comment about our hotel. I do hope we can have the chance to welcome you back in your next trip to Costa Rica.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed one night at the Real InterContinental in San Jose, Costa Rica. We were held over because of a missed connecting flight and this hotel offered a nice, clean, comfortable stop over. The hotel is in a good location with plenty of restaurants.

We had a standard, king room which was fairly decorated and average size. The service was rather average for Central America.

If you are looking for a business hotel, or a hotel for a short stay near San Jose, consider the Real.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TNElvis
Ramon_Diago, Director General at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you for very much for your comments about your stay with us.
We are glad to know that you enjoy our location and our gastronomic alternatives.
We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in your next visit to Costa Rica.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I am a Platinum member with the Intercontinental Hotel group this one is the best so far. The bell men and concierge have been the same guys for the past 5 years I been staying with the hotel they are the best, always helpful with the best possible service. All of the restaurants in the hotel are excellent except for the new Market Cafe which was just recently opened. Due to its success it is so busy that the service needs a little improvement. I am sure they will get their act together.

I always stay on the club tower side which has a lounge on the second floor which is a great spot to have meetings. If you have time check out the spa one of the nicest I have ever seen. This is truly a 5 star property.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank gmuff

Thank you very much for your nice review about our hotel. We feel thrilled that you enjoy and appreciate our staff and keep coming back to our hotel.
Yes, we recognize that we have to improve the quality of service at our new restaurant The Market. We are working on it and is better every day.
We hope we can have the chance to serve you again in your next visit to Costa Rica.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

My wife and I stayed here in November 2011.

We stayed in the Club Tower.

The room was clean and impressive.

We enjoyed the Club Lounge.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

Now comes the interesting part:

At the time we had Platinum Staus with the Intercontinental Hotel Group.

Based on that, we are supposed to be offered an Upgrade if available.

The Hotel was not that full but we were NOT offered an Upgrade.

On our last night in Costa Rica, I wanted to play it super safe, so we strictly dined in the hotel.

We ate at the "Alfredo" Restaurant.

Mind you, we got there fairly late.

My wife ordered the Penne with Salmon.

A few hours after getting back to our room, my wife began feeling very ill.

I informed the hotel, that we needed a doctor and 2 paramedics arrived quite quickly.

My wife had eColi poisoning.

It had to be from the hotel because we ate nowhere else that day.

The hotel was great in getting my wife medical attention quickly.

Now, we had to cancel our flight home the next day because my wife was too ill to travel.

We also had to stay in the hotel an extra 2 days.

My wife did speak to the Duty Manager and he was supposed to have the matter investigated and get back to us.

It's been almost a year and nobody has gotten back to us.

I filled out the hotel's online survey and requested that someone from the hotel get back to me.

Never happened.

So we got stuck paying for 2 extra nights, 2 days extra car rental charges and $200 that the airline charged us for changing the reservation.

I am grateful that my wife got the necessary medical attention but is this the way to run an Intercontinental Hotel?

The hotel is trying to duck the responsibility for what what was obviously their fault.

We would not be treated this way at an Intercontinental Hotel in the U.S. or Canada.

You judge a place by how they react to problem situations.

It's no trick to smile and great guests politely when things are going smoothly.

But the true judge of character is revealed when dealing in a problem situation.

A hotel of this calibre should have gone the extra mile to make things right.

If we didn't have the food poisoning, this would have been an excellent stay.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, choose a Tower Room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Larry C

Thank you for your review about our hotel. We appreciate your comments about the quality of our rooms and friendliness of our staff.
We regret to learn about your wife not feeling well after eating at our Alfredo restaurant and not delivering the appropriate service during this incident. Please accept our most sincere apologies.
We do hope you can give us another opportunity to serve you if your travel plans ever bring you to Costa Rica again. Thank you.