“Great place to begin a vacation!”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh
“Great place to begin a vacation!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed here the first two nights of our Caravan tour of Costa Rica. The room was very nice, the breakfasts had an amazing selection, and the grounds were beautiful. Since it was part of the package, I don't know the price of the rooms. My only complaint was that the outdoor hot tub wasn't as hot as I would have liked on a cool day. It's located right across the street from a huge mall, which makes it convenient if you forgot something or love to shop, but the prices are high due to the taxes.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank retiredESLteacher
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear retiredESLteacher, I am glad you had a great trip in Costa Rica along with Caravan Tours, we appreciate your feedback about the temperatura of our outdoor swimming pools. Regards, Ricardo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I choose this hotel because of all the reviews but my pick wasn't good. I don't know how and who is running this hotel but the customer service is awful. I have sent the hotel several emails to request some additional info they don't have on the website but after 3 weeks I got no answer to none of my emails so I wanted to check if I have the correct email address and this is when I found out my reservation is cancelled. I didn't receive any phone call or any cancelation email about it which is really unprofessional. When I called the hotel they told me because it was on hold and they cancel it because I didm't provide a valid credit card. OK, maybe, but their website and also my reservation conformation says YOUR RESERVATION WILL BE HELD FOR ARRIVAL UNTIL 06:00 PM on my arrival day. I don't even want to know what will happened if I don't find out this cancelation by accident. I might be sleeping on the street when I am on vacation.

Room Tip: Keep checking your reservation because they might just cancel it for you.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Tomas N, I sincerely apologize for this unusual experience which definetily does not reflect the service leves we strive for within our facilities. I kindly ask you to contact our Director of Rooms (ernesto.carrero@r-hr.com) in order to review your challenges. Thank you, Ricardo M.
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The rooms are very comfortable, the service is great overall, the restaurants have variety and good food.
We travel with a baby and the help of the personal was superb
The location of the hotel is key you are right next to the mall 5 min from downtown and with a lot of restaurant options real close

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Oscartico
Dear Oscartico, it is so great to receive positive service stories performed by our staff, I am glad they took a really good care of your family while you stayed at the Hotel. We look forward to welcome you back, Ricardo
Dominical, Costa Rica
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Expensive, yes, but if you are looking to enjoy a hotel in Escazu, this is the place. The spa is amazing and the pool is a great way to relax. Restaurants in the hotel are delicious, but overall - the spa is the most alluring part of staying here!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joumana K
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear JJJKKK1984, I am sure you as Costa Rica native you have many options on where to go and stay, I truly appreciate your superb definition of our Spa. Best regards, Ricardo M.
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Let's be honest: there aren't too many choices of 4-5 star hotels in San Jose so let's say this is probably the best in the city.

Be prepared: Costa Ricans are slow at everything and every other word they speak is "Mae" but, they are some of the nicest people around so, shift gears and try to slow down yourself.

The hotel isn't new. Neither is the "new" tower (or didn't seem so) but it is clean, amenable and has open spaces in the lobby and pool areas which are warm and welcoming. Beds are comfortable.

Rooms and bathrooms are spacious and complete with all the amenities you might need. We chose the mountain view but for some odd reason the glass window was chalky white and we could barely look outside.

The safe deposit box in one of the rooms didn't work and although a friend thought she had hidden some cash very well, there was some of it missing.

The restaurants are pretty good. The breakfast buffet was extensive with many choices and stations. We stayed at the tower and their executive lounge was well equipped most of the day. Try their "power breakfast drink", it is excellent and delicious! The main cafeteria is a preferred lunch hangout for the locals, gets pretty crowded and you may have to wait a while for a table. Check in early.

The Spa seemed like quite a temptation but appointments were impossible to book so if you really want a massage book it before your arrival. (100.00 / 50 minutes, no bargain).

If you're in a shopping mode walk to the mall. I suggest visiting the grocery store to pick up some Britt coffee (taffy) candy.

Take a day tour to the Poas Volcano and a coffee plantation. It's worth it. Enjoy your stay!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LittleRockStar
Dear LittleRockStar, detailed reviews like yours are extremely welcomed, rest assure we wil definitely work on the points of improvement you mentioned. By the way, the "power juice" has become a must drink option during breakfast hours. Sincerely, Ricardo M.
Statesville, NC
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We've stayed here on multiple occasions over the past few years and it's always been consistent - even when they were building the new wing and spa.

Like most, this is the very heart of San Jose and an oasis during our travels. The staff has always been great and service fantastic. Food is terrific as well - I suggest the ravioli at Alfredo's!

On this last visit, it was packed due to a concert nearby (didn't know Paul McCartney drew such a crowd). Despite the very lively folks milling around, service was excellent. I was even surprised that the though it's been two years, the staff remembered me!

I spend an awful lot of time in hotels - sometimes 6-9 months at a location. This has always been my 'Home' in San Jose and a place where my wife is always safe and comfortable. The location cannot be beat either - with the new highway in, it's our first and last stop before heading to the coast.

Room Tip: Stay in the club wing if possible as it is a bit quieter than the rest of the hotel due to the spa.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank David S
Ricardo M, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear DMSterling, you are the real center of attention! We strive to provide the very best of service jointly with the greatest staff attitude on the most modern facilities, thank you as well for your additional review on the other website. Sincerely, Ricardo
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel was absolutely awesome! We had a wonderful time. Nice pool & great hot tub. The buffet breakfast was the best!! The rooms are very nice also. The only thing that I would change is to get a pool waiter to service up some drinks!!!! Thanks, my friends and I had a great time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Anne C, I do appreciate your honesty be advised we have already addressed the lack of service at the pool, we hope you are able to come back soon and enjoy our full service. Sincerely, Ricardo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!