“Wyndham Grarden- "Pura Vida" in the Hills of San Jose Escazu- Costa Rica.”

Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Beverly Hills, California
“Wyndham Grarden- "Pura Vida" in the Hills of San Jose Escazu- Costa Rica.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel sets in the beautiful, trendy, hillside of San Jose Escazu.The staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. However, the location may be a bit inconvenient unless you have your own car rental. ( not much within walking distance )

Shuttles between hotels by schedule are free but even if you miss your scheduled ride, It is very inexpensive to hire your own taxi driver for a night out or to visit the touristic spots around the city.

If your cell phone is not compatible, Make sure your telephone access is open upon registering or else it will be almost impossible for you to make phone calls from your room.:(

Though I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and the staff was charming, I was quiet disappointed to find out the pool/Jacuzzi rules...If you want to use the premises, they must warm the pool 30 minutes before you plan to use it ( they are big on energy consumption) or else you will not enjoy a warm Jacuzzi at the Wyndham Garden...

Overall, the hotel is very clean and have all your needs covered as described. The area is one of the best and close to main city shopping malls and city center. Good food, business center and pleasant ambiance...

Room Tip: All rooms seemed the same but if you can get a higher floor room, you may have a better city view..
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bianca153
Dnavasdiaz, Manager at Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Ms. Bianca, thank you for evaluate us, I am glad to read your comment, has many details that will help our customers to have a better stay in our hotel. I would like to let you know that our Jacuzzi to reduce the emission of CO2, heat it when a customer is going to use, we have a program of reduction of pollutant gas emissions and try to reduce our ecological footprint. We hope to see you soon around here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel has it all and for a very fair price. I normally stay in B&B's but I'm on business and stayed here for convenience and I have zero complaints. Free wifi, big TV...everything. If your?'really in Escazu this is the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Mr. Joe Thanks for commenting your stay at our hotel, we are very glad to know that you like our Hotel and recommend us.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed at this Hotel 8/9/14-8/14/14. 1st time in Costa Rica. Hotel staff was excellent, very helpful, friendly & courteous 100%, especially Santiago Rojas. He helped in booking excursions and was very patient in calling the excursion company everytime to inquire details for us until we were satsfied. Only downfall about this hotel is the location. Nothing w/in walking distance but shuttles r available through the hotel. Shuttle locations r limited but inexpensive if taking u beyond their route, for example downtown. Hotel very clean, staff always cleaning. The restaurant onsite is good. Free full hot breakfast buffet w/the basics. A qiuet location.

Room Tip: It seems like upper floors are more quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dnavasdiaz, Manager at Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Mr. Ernesto, thanks for your comments, I will personally congratulate Santiago for the good service he gave them.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you soon around here.
SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

It's the people who make the place. General Mgr, Daniel Navas was a jewel. Hope Wyndham knows what they got because he's a special person. Helped us in so many ways. Additionally, Gustavo Chacon handled our reservation, our bags (bellman at lunch), our checkout, call for taxi, etc., with professional, friendly, prompt service. Can't say enough good things about our bartender for one evening! Omar Muñoz. We learned more Spanish, he learned more English, we were very happy with his service and recommend asking for him when you go.

It's a great deal for business people, your first night in the area or your last night or two before heading home. They need to add a free shuttle to the SJ airport, but have free shuttles for taking guests to shopping areas or museums in downtown SJ.. Food was wonderful! Their chicken Alfredo was the best either of has ever had... anywhere! Good free breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: views best on 3rd floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dnavasdiaz, Manager at Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear customer, thank you very much for your comment, we are really happy to know that your stay at our hotel was nice, I'll congratulate Gustavo Omar for their good work and we will give them a special mention and prize. On behalf of all our staff, we appreciate your contribution and we hope to see you soon around here.
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

To be clear, I did not actually stay in hotel. I booked it for my consultant/friend that I hired to do work for me here in Costa Rica.

I hate to give not great reviews, but I have to say I was disappointed. I watched this hotel being built and really anticipated finally being a patron. Room was very nice, but predictable. I know these places are trying to classify themselves as "boutique", but there is nothing really boutique about them. It is smaller and a bit more upper-scale design that you could see almost anywhere.

I think for business purposes it would be a good fit. But for vacations...? Nothing really about it is very Costa Rican or is unique to any hotel in it's class.

I hate when front desks will not match rates offered by the OTA's . It forces you to do your booking through OTA's to get best rate and then hotel pays commission to OTA - which of course you the consumer are paying. To the front desk credit, they did point to in-house computer terminals to allow us to book with OTA.

Breakfast, was too a let down. I noticed they served Britt Coffee, which in Costa Rica is considered premier brand. However, it was the most watered down high quality coffee I ever tasted. After 1 cup each, we asked if we could have espresso. They said we could not as the machine was broken. Costa Ricans make some of the best coffee just using a cloth filter and pouring hot water through it. So, getting us a stronger cup of coffee could easily be accomplished.

I guess the waitress saw how disappointed we were and and miraculously after 5-10 minutes came back and said they could get machine working and provided us Americanos. I was really pleased. I know it sounds picky... But I have lived here in Costa Rica for 10 years and I eat and drink in the most humble places and love it. But when you go into a place like this and pay $14 for breakfast, I think expecting decent coffee is allowed.

Almost without fail, you can go into the most humble soda (counter restaurant) with a mother and daughter running it - and if you asked for a stronger cup of coffee, they would not even blink an eye and smile and get it for you.

Given that it is a chain hotel, I am not sure what they could change. But if they are just going after business traveller, they will be fine (with better coffee of course).

Room Tip: Ask for a view. I think rooms booked through OTAs are given less desired rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank colinsito
Dnavasdiaz, Manager at Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Customer, I appreciate your taking time to comment on your experience at our hotel. I think, It's not right that we have devalued by you, if you not have stayed in our hotel. I see that you working in Hospitality like us, you should know very well what I appreciate all the comments that we have to improve. We have scored 3 points by you for our coffee, decoration and rate was not to your liking. You know the rest of our facilities? Rooms, pillows, beds, GYM, etc?.

I will answer each of your comments below.

Our hotel was not what we promote as "Boutique Hotel" because we have more than 100 rooms and our hotel is a contemporary and urban concept hotel, if you have seen advertised our hotel as Hotel Boutique, please help us know where you saw it to ask improve our description, would greatly appreciate it.

About your comments on the OTAs, I can assure you that our prices are the same in all places to avoid price parity and not have commissioned them because we work with “net prices” and through a software that make this, the difference in price is not that could be due but your comment that is something common I think is erroneous.
About your comments about our Coffee, every day I take minimum two cups of coffee from the buffet and can I conform the coffee has the same taste every day, we have a Britt machine that makes automatic way, to avoid having a different taste or concentration, if you like more stronger you can order an American coffee like you did, our expresso machine effectively was damaged by 24 hours it gives the coffee watery for that Iorder to close until fixed.

About your comments , how we assign our rooms, I think you are assuming something, in this case is also wrong, we do not give better or worse rooms based on who make the reservation, our software in reception, assigns rooms while they enter in the booking system to asigned by zones that with the intention to save energy.

I hope to meet you in person to apologize for that coffee was not to their liking and to clarify their assumptions about the OTAS and allocation of rooms. Best Regards
heredia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Katherine Retana, alvaro garcia, gustavo chacon, alexia alfaro, were all extremely helpful in all the services. and also the hotel was extremely clean and comfortable, I will definately be coming there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dnavasdiaz, Manager at Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear customer, thank you very much for commenting on your stay at our hotel, I will congratulate each of the workers who thanked you for help. Hope to see you around here.
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Clean, contemporary, and convenient place to stay in Escazu if you have your own transport and know your way around. This hotel is perfect if you are looking to run errands and load up your car with purchases from EPA (literally right next door), PriceMart, MultiPlaza Mall, and Avenidas Escazu (right across the highway but hard/impossible to access without a vehicle) before setting out on the road. Maybe not so much for tourists. There was a shuttle that ran to both the mall and the Avenidas Escazu area around dinner time. Rooms were comfortable and had all the necessary amenities, but there were no views to speak of. Nice gym and indoor pool for those so inclined. Very good, hot breakfast...omelets to order.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wander27
Dnavasdiaz, Manager at Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thanks for commenting your stay in our hotel, we are glad to know that you like our location, facilities, room and buffet breakfast. We hope to continue to be your choice in hotels in the area and again we thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu
Apartotel La Sabana
Apartotel La Sabana
#2 of 85 in San Jose
Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn San Jose la Sabana

Been to Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu? Share your experiences!