“Paradise Found”

Out of Bounds Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I found the owners Matteo and Meranda exceptional in their hospitality, they made me feel like i was family and not request was too much. It was a relaxing worry free stay with one of the best sleeps i have ever had in the area. I found the Hotel clean and comfy and will definately return over and over again. A family emergency back home necessitated an early return on my trip but Matte and Meranda went out of their way to help with the arrangements and transportation requirements. Something you won't get from another resort.
Matte and Mer thanks so much and see you when i come back you can count on me coming back.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Standard King Room #4.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gary A

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Only nicer! The hotel is so close to many shopping centers, restaurants, area attractions, both Escazu and Santa Ana, and the main roads. And yet, you'd never know once you step behind the gate: it is so tranquil and has the most outstanding views. Also outstanding was the service. Matteo and Meranda were absolutely great; they were super helpful with transportation, suggesting things to do and see, where to go for anything we needed, how to get there, making our plans and reservations, etc....Our room was gorgeous: ultra comfortable bed, lovely decor, beautiful balcony and terrace, great bathroom with a beautiful sink, and again, the views - breathtaking! I did not want to leave and can't wait to return to this piece of paradise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank C A
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Big Hug from the OOB Family even Candy!
Thank you for you kinds words, they sure help us to keep on moving forward with a bigger smile on our Faces.
Hope you come back soon!

Muchas Gracias!

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I am a resident and come often to san José for personal reasons, which gives me the opportunity to visit several places. Out of Bounds is a gem for its beauty, the nice view (quite windy terrace), the lovely details of the bedrooms, the comfortable beds. Yet, wireless internet is poor and
Tv images very disturbed. Breakfast is the bigger issue. Only two choices, eithet gallo pinto (rice and beans with egg) or smoothy. If you don't feel like eating fried food you will have to starve...no toasted bread allowed! Very unpleasant service at the table, as well.
A good option if other places are fully booked.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Chamanh

We thank everyone that takes from their own time to write something for us weather is good or bad it is always a way to help us improve in our service.
Regarding the TV signal it must of been the cable company making a repair in any case we apologize for the inconvenience that might of caused.
We do not offer Toast as part of our Complementary Menu and our Gallo Pinto is not fried, we use butter to cook our eggs to make them as neatly as possible. Your other option is the yummy Fresh Fruit Smoothie.
Hope you have a great Day! Give us another try!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I Can't say enough good things about Out of Bounds. First the hotel...beds are super comfortable, breakfast was great and rooms are all clean and large with great views of San Jose and volcanoes from the upper floor. Matteo and Miranda were very helpful with suggestions and bookings for parts of our trip and helped arrange a vehicle for us after ours failed to materialize at the airport. We spent three nights at the beginning, middle and end of our trip and it was a great base to pick up friends from the airport and to explore San Jose. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have a great deck and views of the city and volcanoes in the distance.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vangruvie
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I live at the beach in Guanacaste and usually go to Escazu for shopping once a month. I first tried Out of Bounds about 4 months ago and since then it has become my home away from home, while in Escazu. The hotel is central for everything in the area and yet very quiet at night time. The hotel has an amazing view of the city. The owners are very personable, friendly and accommodating to special requests. Prices are great...... definitely recommend Out of Bounds Hotel while visiting Escazu area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Chantel A
Reviewed 27 February 2014

hi everyone, i can warmly and highly recommend this hotel! after 14 years in costa rica i know that this is the best place in san jose! matteo and meranda are so friendly and helpful people, the rooms are a hit, clean & elegant, one doesn't wanna get out of bed in the morning because they are so comfy, and every time coming to out of bounds is like coming home.
raaji dessena

Room Tip: all rooms are great, the upper rooms have better view over san jose and the mountains...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I've never written a review on TripAdvisor before but my stay at Out of Bounds inspired me to take the time to credit Meranda and Matteo on fabulous accommodations and make sure others know of it. For starters, the place was spotlessly clean which was awesome and it just generally felt well-built and comfortable. The beds and linens were great and I slept fantastically well there. In addition to the excellent accommodations, Meranda and Matteo were perfect hosts, I stayed for two days at the end of January while I was waiting for my travelling companion to arrive and was working for those two days. Matteo was super-attentive in making sure the internet was working for me including resetting the routers that broadcast the signal on the upstairs level and ensuring they were functioning. It made it so that I could join conference calls via wi-fi and I was also able to use their courtesy phone to call in a few times free of charge so I had seamless work days. Meranda was very personable and helpful in providing directions to find a place for dinner, get to the gym (and pointed me to a free online pass), where to go to buy a phone as well as connections regarding dentistry and real estate in Costa. They accommodated my late arrival close to midnight on check-in and were very flexible on allowing me to stay on the property after checking out to continue working while I waited for my friend to arrive. All of this for a price that was affordable and excellent value for dollar. As hosts, they were perfectly accommodating without being overbearing and they have a fabulous, clean, comfortable boutique hotel. I will definitely stay here again if I need to overnight in San Jose and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Two queen beds and a single bed with lots of space on top floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Apartotel Don Francisco
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Hotel Luisiana
Hotel Luisiana
#4 of 8 in Santa Ana

Been to Out of Bounds Hotel? Share your experiences!