“An excellent experience with an excellent view!”

Out of Bounds Hotel
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Escazu
Orlando
“An excellent experience with an excellent view!”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My friends and I were actually staying in a different part of Costa Rica and we wanted to stay the night in San Jose the night before our flight. We were referred to Out of Bounds by a mutual friend and we are so glad that we were! My friends and I showed up and just fell in love with the place. We were greeted at the door with such warmth! Although, I think when the doors to our rooms were opened we got even more excited because we saw the big, overstuffed, comfortable beds! After a long day of travel that was just what we were looking for. The rooms were great and the bathrooms were nice too. In the morning we had their Costa Rican breakfast along with a view of three different volcanos. After breakfast Out of Bounds took us to the airport in their van. Overall we had a wonderful night and morning at Out of Bounds. We couldn't have asked for nicer people and a nicer place to stay on our last night in Costa Rica!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
South Florida
Reviewed 10 March 2009

This was not my first stay at the Out of Bounds Lodge. I had just never got round to posting a review of my experiences there. I have to make the trip to the Central Valley roughly three times a year, I have been doing this for some years now. My experiences have not always been one's to remember but with OOB the fear of uncertainty has been eliminated. First off service, Miranda and Matteo , they have an eagerness and enthusiasm that is unparalleled in the Central Valley, couple this with a peaceful ambience and the most luxurious bedding, ( truly no expense spared), staying there is quite like a reoccurring mini honeymoon except I am always there for business.
Good breakfast options, service with a smile,well-priced room and tours a plenty (if you have time), all this makes for reliable and enjoybale central valley experience time after time.
Thanks Doug

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We recently stayed here two nights on our way into, and then out of, San Jose. Both stays were great experiences. The hotel itself is quiet and feels very secluded and safe, despite being in the middle of a busy city. Our rooms were clean, bright and lovely, with nice hardwood floors, great bedding and an awesome bathroom (including a shower with great water pressure/temperature -- not always the norm during our time in Costa Rica, unfortunately). The view was amazing and there were lots of tables and rocking chairs on the balconies for reading, lounging and absorbing the amazing scenery. The owners were beyond friendly and helpful with our every question/request, and we had a lot of them since we were just basically trying to kill time during our two stays in San Jose. If we ever get back to Costa Rica, we'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Santa Ana, Costa RIca
Reviewed 17 December 2008

Matteo and Miranda were super helpful as we were moving to the country and had a million questions for them. It turned out that they have a little girl the same age as our son so Miranda took the time to show me around and introduce me to all the playgrounds in the area. She went over and beyond the owner/client relationship in her availability and in making us feel at home.
The rooms are very well done, (Miranda's touch), with big comfortable beds, down duvets and very nice linens. The views from the balcony are really very nice. Matteo was very helpful in everything from buying a car to changing our room, and Frederico, the doorman, has such good energy and a nice smile. Overall, we had a great experience at Out of Bounds and would recommend it to anyone staying in the San Jose Area.

• Liked — Rooms very clean and bright
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Delaware
Reviewed 7 December 2008

The view from each room is spectacular! I was staying in Escazu for extensive dental treatment and chose the room with the kitchenette in order to prepare soft foods. Fortunately, I had the best dental treatment I have ever had. Staying with Meranda and Mateo made the recovery period much more pleasant. While Out of Bounds is not a care facility, Meranda and Mateo are both very caring people who easily met my needs. They arranged very dependable transportation, gave excellent suggestions for services, made appointments and answered all of my questions. Everyone on the staff added to the pleasant experience. Meranda and Mateo intereact with the guests and staff in a warm, relaxed manner. No wonder their staff has been with them for years and they have many repeat guests. The room was spotlessly clean and the beds are very comfortable. The hotel is very quiet and private, which was important to me for daytime naps.

• Liked — View, comfort, cleanliness, genuine friendliness of hosts.
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
san francisco
Reviewed 2 December 2008

The two days spent at Out of Bounds were great. I was looking for peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of San Jose, combined with a shower that offered hot water with decent water pressure. Mateo and Meranda are very nice, down-to-earth people. They try to accommodate you in every way, and are extremely helpful when it comes to questions about the area, booking tours, places to eat, ect. .. .. Ricardo is fabulous-- and VERY easy on the eyes!

The room was very spacious, tastefully appointed, and quiet!! I agree with most of the reviews, there is no doubt you will definitely enjoy your stay here. The rooms are very clean, have comfy beds, and more-than-adequate t.v./Wi-Fi .

There were only three things I didn’t particularly enjoy:

1)Not having the option of having breakfast in my bedroom…..especially if it is cold and raining. The terrace is beautiful and offers stunning views of the surrounding area, but a hot breakfast isn’t bad either.

2)No telephones in the rooms…..especially if you want to call for a taxi, arrange for tours, or call home!

3)The room I had on the 1st floor (near the stairs leading to the terrace) didn't have very good window treatments for privacy. I could see every person who walked by from my bed....not good.

That being said, I would definitely go back, but choose a different room.

• Liked — Clean, pleasant, quiet, great service....
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Meranda, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2009
Thank you for the input, we do appreciate it when our clients let us know how we could improve our Boutique Hotel.

Reply #1
I would like to say that we have added tables and chairs both up and down stairs so if people like they can eat outside there room instead of upstairs on the terrace. We have 2 rooms the Superior and Junior room that we allow our clients to eat the breakfast in the room. The other room's dont have the designated eating area in the rooms, so they need to use the outside tables or the terrace.
Reply #2
We do have a cordless phone on the Terrace as well as in the office for our clients to use. Unfortunately there are no phone lines available in the area we live in. That is the reason that each room doesn’t have its own phone line. The cordless phone reaches in the rooms and our guests are welcome to use it for free local calls anytime.
Reply #3
The pull up curtains are still there, as they are very nice and match the room. Our clients can not see in but it is possible to see the shadow of someone walking by. We have added another curtain to the window, so if guests choose to they can close both of them for more privacy.
Thank's for letting us know about these concerns, we hope we have completed the requests to the customers liking:)
New York City
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Of all my time here in Costa Rica, Out of Bounds was one of the warmest places I have been. The first thing was how easy it was to find. Super easy.
Next was the room. Now we all know that some hotels take pictures and when you arrive you are not in the place you looked at online.
The rooms were perfect. Actually they were even nicer than the pictures! From the hand painted mat in my room to the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. I wanted to stick it in my luggage, but the king size just didnt fit!
Third was Meranda and Mateo. They were the kindest host/ owners. Mateo has a great sense of humor and kept me on my toes! Meranda was so warm and patient with my 500 questions from best local food, casa de laly(sp) to where to shop last minute. If they only had more things I could buy there, i would have bought the whole place up.
I look froward to my next visit to Costa Rica. I dont have a hotel but if they ever come my way, I hope they stay with me.

• Liked — How nice the whole expieence was.
  • Disliked — No single men were there when I was there!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business