“Nice, Clean Hotel”

Ranked #42 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
Hartsville, Tennessee
“Nice, Clean Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Our group stayed here our last night in Costa Rica and we were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Don't let the outside appearance fool you, it is very nice inside. The outside looks really plain and you might not even realize that it is a hotel. The rooms were very clean and the decor seemed to be pretty modern. They have a nice, small pool in the courtyard of the front part of the hotel and the back part contains a huge atrium full of tropical plants. If you need a hotel in the city, take a look at the Hotel Colaye.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms seemed to be cooler than those on the 2nd floor. Since this is a city hotel the...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tammy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
San Marcos, Carazo, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

My experience staying at the hotel for two nights was great. It was easy to catch a cab close by, breakfast was yummy (but expect some central American cuisine when in Central America.), and the rooms were well kept and clean. The staff was also super friendly. Overall I had absolutely nothing to complain about.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ells424
Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

I booked one night here after being in Puerto Viejo because my flight left early in the morning, Expedia listed that they offered a free airport shuttle. Upon check-in, they said they did not... it would cost $28 to get to the airport. I specifically booked here for the shuttle service. I think the manager gave me a discounted rate through his taxi-driver friend, which lessened the blow, but was still stressful and frustrating.

The room I was in, #234 (in the "back building"), was clean enough except for the pigeons that lived directly above my door and pooped all over the door handle and the floor in front of my room. There is no air conditioning, only cross ventilation capabilities (through windows on opposite sides of the room) and a ceiling fan. The decor suggests that this hotel is really trying hard to be a fancy upscale place like Hyatt or W, but the tile & floor finishes and lack of attention to detail make this attempt unsuccessful. The room was really large with a safe, modern-styled furniture and crisp white sheets.

The restaurant left a lot to be desired. I left too early to catch breakfast, but I ate dinner there- a super-salty grilled fish fillet with veggies and a glass of wine- they didn't have white wine, they only had red (Concha y Toro- a Peruvian wine that I can get at my local supermarket here in the USA- el cheapo) that was warm when it came out. The restaurant service was not great, but that is the case everywhere in Costa Rica... also, they listed 3 or 4 desserts, but only actually had one of them.

The location is fine- super close to Sabana Sur Park. A cab to downtown (about 2 or 3 miles I think?) is about $7-10. Be sure to have the front desk order you a taxi- they get the metered ones as opposed to the ones without meters that can charge you whatever they want.

Room Tip: Request the back building, LOWER floor
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

Restaurant and breakfast extremely disappointing, including the staff. One morning we arrived around 8:30am (breakfast finishes at 9am), there were no eggs left, however when we asked, staff didn’t seem keen to cook anymore, and when they finally did I found a hair in my scrambled eggs, which put me off completely.

The restaurant is more of a snack bar rather than restaurant, with a poor menu, and no waiting on, you must order at the bar. Also one of the ladies who worked in the restaurant had a very inadequate humour and asked strange questions, such as "did your boyfriend behave last night?", which did not impress me in the slightest!!

Hotel is on the whole very clean and modern looking. Our room was large and very clean, with daily maid service. Though it was very hot in the room, the ceiling fan didn’t seem to do anything.

Very fast wi-fi access all around the hotel, which was handy. Although it stopped working one evening and didn’t start to work until late the following day.

Reception staff not very friendly or helpful on the whole.

Nice pool area, but too cold to use!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2010

My husband and I recently returned from a two week stay in Costa Rica. We had rented a room in the Hotel Colaye for 2 weeks but only stayed a total of 6 nights, as we were travelling to other destinations throughout the country. The hotel is small, clean and comfortable. The neighbourhood is a little sketchy. The pool is small, but nice. The free breakfasts were ok. I found that they quality and quantity was proportionate to the number of tour buses. This hotel seems to cater to large groups of school kids touring the country with their teachers. When the buses full of kids were staying at the hotel the breakfasts were great. When the large groups were not staying there, the food was kind of yuck! The rooms were very clean and the king size bed was very comfortable. The mattress seemed to be brand new. Some of the staff speak english and some do not. We requested a room change 3 times, as upon arrival we did not get the accommodations we had paid for. We asked for a suite with a fridge and hot plate, as we were stay on and off for 2 weeks. They finally got it right the third time. There is a nice park around the corner, but I would strongly advise not to venture there after dark. Just around the corner is a convenience store called AM-PM and a great restaurant just right across from the AM-PM. The food was excellent, but I can't remember the name of the restuarant. Also a gourmet burger shop called Doc Browns is just across the street from the hotel. The burgers are great! The hotel is certainly not a high end place to stay, but quite comfortable for short stays. My biggest complaint is I suspect this hotel may have bed bugs!! Every morning when we got up my husbands legs were covered in large itchy bites. We stayed in other locations and did not experience any bites. I did notice that just past the reception area was a room filled with new mattresses. Which leads me to believe that there may be a problem. There were no mosquitos and we did not see any other bugs. I did not receive any noticeable bites as not all people are affected by the bite of a bed bug. I do believe this is a good hotel and you get what you pay for. I would recommend Hotel Colaye for a short term stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

Spent 1 night here before leaving San Jose to head to Caribbean coast. Easy to find and get to. Very quiet at night time, with some food options within walking distance. I had no complaints. Breakfast was good and included, eggs, rice/beans and fresh cut fruit, papaya juice, coffee. I would stay here again for a night in San Jose before moving on to my next destination.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ginsengsullivan
DFW Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

I stayed here for one week to have dental work done. The staff is the highlight of this hotel, the ameneties, or shall I say lack there of, is the downfall. The food in the breakfast buffet was just WEIRD! Like hotdogs sliced down the middle and pan seared...Only one morning was edible. The building and pool is new and nice. The street it is on is nothing short of scarey to walk alone on. As far as the amenities...no airconditioning (floor fan provided) and it is HOT! It was difficult to sleep on the rock hard beds in the heat. No shampoo provided, no washcloths, no ice anywhere in the building, no hair dryers, no coke machines, they do have WiFi. I am an easy to please traveler and do not need much but I can tell you I will NEVER stay here again and can not wait to leave in the morning! It is just plain boring too! None of the staff except one front desk girl spoke English. I feel dehydrated as there is nothing here to drink and it is not safe to walk to the store. Hope this helps.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo