“Excellent Hotel”
Review of KC Hotel San Jose

KC Hotel San Jose
Ranked #41 of 78 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I had a very enjoyable time at the hotel the staff were great and hospitable and Lester the Front Desk agent was amazing he arranged all the tours for me from start to finish what a very nice man!! I will recommend this hotel to other people that are planning on going to Costa Rica!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank E B

Reviewed 19 March 2012

We have stayed here numerous times and every time has been a different experience. I understand that they hotel is under new ownership and has undergone some renovations, but silly 'decor' renovations .... nothing really important! (new towels in the bathroom would be a good start...replacing the thread-bare ones that I would be using as rags).
Every time we have been here, the WIFI has never worked in the rooms. This trip, the WIFI worked in our room for a few hours, but was painfully slow! The router is right outside the rooms and should not be a problem....why not fix it?
Our room in the past was a kitchenette and fell into the 'bargain' price, this time, the kitchenette was a bit more expensive and we only used the refrigerator....so according to the web site, the room we got was supposed to have a fridge, but it didn't and for the first time, we did not get AC. We got a room that had a pigeon roosting on a window sill, our door was really hard to open and close and needed all our weight to get in and out and the last morning, there was a plumbing problem in the room next door and the maids swept the overflowing water right under our door and were flooding our room! We just about fell hydroplaning on the water covering the tile floor and all our luggage and bags had to be put up onto the futon couch to avoid the water!
The day staff was very helpful and kind the evening staff (especially the main desk clerk) was another story....the personality of a brick.....
If it wasn't so convenient to our dentist office I would not stay here....but it is and seems like the best choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with AC and a fridge when you check in because you can't specify this when you re...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2012

No wi-fi internet access in room.
Coffee for sale in room.
Meager furnishings in room.
Some electrical wires exposed along the baseboard.
No air conditioning in room.
Poorly insulated against outside noise.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2012

its a ok hotel for the price its a clean hotel watch when you book to make sure you have A/C not all rooms have it and the hotel has some work going on did not have internet in room
only in the Lobby.....staff was Great

Room Tip: always ask to make sure they have a/c if you go to costa rica during there summer
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank airways101
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Myself and my husband stayed here for two nights in November as part of a large group. The hotel was very nice, clean and comfortable and the staff were very helpful. We stayed here after a long flight and were pleasantly suprised at the standard of the hotel on our arrival. Breakfast the next morning was fine.
Having spent a week in another part of Costa Rica we returned to the hotel for our last night before an early morning transfer back to the airport, and once again were happy with the hotel. The only issue was with the group dinner in the hotel on the last night. The meail was nice, but the service was slow and the bar ran out of glass and drinks very quickly. The staff were obviously not perpared for a large group even though it had been pre booked!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel34
Reviewed 16 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Colaye for 4 nights in Nov when he went to CR for dental work. We moved here from a B & B in Escazu that we didn't care for. We found Colaye very pleasant and comfortable. On a previous trip, I stayed at Apartotel El Sesteo nearby and I found Hotel Colaye superior to El Sesteo in comfort and convenience. The room was clean and spacious. There was a large flat screen TV, I found the beds comfortable with fluffy duvets and good quality linens. If you've never stayed in San Jose before, or have the same expectations when comparing to a typical quality chain hotel in the States you will be disappointed. As one reviewer noted there is no ice machine, no complementary toiletries or wash clothes, and no air conditioning, but neither do the other hotels in the area. Those are amenities Americans take for granted that are not typically found in most Costa Rican hotels. (I'm sure the Residence Inn and the other 3 star+ American chain hotels would but they run $150-200 a nite) It is true that breakfast is "just plain weird" as one reviewer noted, but it was pretty much the same breakfast served at El Sesteo. There was, however, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juice and excellent coffee every morning as well as the other less appealing offerings. I've seen references to bed and breakfasts and hotels serving a "typical breakfast", and I believe what was served was "typical" if not particularly appealing to Americans. The restaurant also served lunch and dinner, although dinner was a bit price-y. Lunch was outstanding. I had the grilled covina (sea bass) casada for the equivalent of about $4.00 including "natural beverage", which is fresh fruit juice. One of the reviewers commented on the hard beds. From what I've read, all the beds in CR are hard. That seems to be a frequent complaint of Americans, but in my case, I found the bed very comfortable. Another reviewer noted that the neighborhood seemed "sketchy". Every neighborhood in San Jose looks "sketchy"! It's ALL rough looking, unless you're out in San Pedro, the upscale parts of Escazu or Santa Ana. I actually loved the location because if felt perfectly safe (before dark, NOT after. No place is safe in San Jose after dusk), there is a bus that comes just steps away from the entrance that can take you anywhere in the city. It's only a few blocks walk to the dental offices of Drs Castro, Anglada and Kaver, and not far from Dr. Cavallini's clinic. There is a bank for exchanging money in an office park behind the hotel. My husband ended up in CIMA hospital in Escazu for 3 days, which was also where his dentist was located, and it was a 7 minute bus ride to the hospital, the dentist and the Multiplaza. (Lodging and food is much more expensive in Escazu than in Sabana Sur, where Colaye is located) There were a number of places to eat within a block or two, everything from smoothies, hamburgers, sushi, Spoon, which is a CR chain cafe, an AM/PM convenience store, an ice cream shop, and a very nice restaurant/cafe (Beso). Beso is a great place for lunch, with warm friendly service, excellent, very reasonably priced specials that are served outdoors. There were 2 computers for guests in the lobby and wi-fi throughout. The staff was reasonably helpful and attentive although I had the same issue as another reviewer- when checking in, the desk clerk put me in a standard room instead of the studio I had pre-paid for. I brought this to his attention, but after staring and staring at his screen, he politely said that we had a standard room. I didn't want to argue, and didn't have a copy of the confirmation and wouldn't be using the kitchen that day anyway, so I let it go. The next morning, I took my laptop and showed him my reservations. I got a weak apology and the correct room. I made my reservations through Orbitz and was only paying maybe $50 a night. I do think it's odd that someone else has reported the same problem so it may not have been an oversight, but I think many tours book this hotel, so I doubt anyone is paying the rack rate. Regardless of that one snafu whether an oversight or deliberate, I really enjoyed my stay, and when compared to other options in San Jose, I think it is unbeatable for what I paid. One last comment - the lighting was poor, with very small bedside lamps and barely enough illumination to read. But, guess what? It was the same in 5 different hotels and bed and breakfasts I've stayed in in CR, and I've noticed it in pictures of every B & B and hotel. I'm not sure what's with the tiny little lamps, but Costa Ricans must all have very good eye sight! Bottom line - we will definitely stay here again when we return in the spring, so long as we can get a great rate again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank btlfan
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Our group stayed here our last night in Costa Rica and we were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Don't let the outside appearance fool you, it is very nice inside. The outside looks really plain and you might not even realize that it is a hotel. The rooms were very clean and the decor seemed to be pretty modern. They have a nice, small pool in the courtyard of the front part of the hotel and the back part contains a huge atrium full of tropical plants. If you need a hotel in the city, take a look at the Hotel Colaye.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms seemed to be cooler than those on the 2nd floor. Since this is a city hotel the...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends