“Don't stay there - Bad smell and Bedbugs”
Review of Hostel 1110

Hostel 1110
Zurich, Switzerland
“Don't stay there - Bad smell and Bedbugs”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We arrived in this hostel early january and only stayed for a few hours. At first the room looked very nice, but after a few hours the smell of the sewage was getting really bad. We still stayed there but when the hundreds of bedbugs conquered our bed we escaped in the same night.

Do yourself a favor and don't stay there.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My friend called them a day previous to my arrival at San Jose to book me a room. They told her that its was all settled and that i could get there at any time. When i got there, it was a completely story. It was all closed and no light was on. Afortunately, it didnt take me much to wake up someone from the hostels, but when i told them about my reservation she said that there was no such reservation on my name. I asked if they can still give me a room, and they denied to me. I went back to my friends who immediately called them back, they kept saying that there was no reservation but they can offer me a room though. No way i was going back there! Why she didnt offer me a room the first time? However, the worst thing about all was her aptitude and service, i felt treated like an imposter and even as a thief...she kept me waiting outside in the street all the time she looked for my reservation!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

We reserved a room through Hostel Bookers and made the mistake of paying for 2 nights before we saw the room. As soon as we did enter (room number 5), we were greeted with a stench of sewage. We requested to change rooms, only to be told by the girl on reception that all the rooms smelt like that. She offered to buy us an air freshener, but that was all.

Hours later, still no air freshener in sight, I asked a guy on reception if he could get us one if there wasn't anything else he could do, he said he would (but still hadn't by the next morning...)

The night was quite simply horrendous. We kept waking up due to the strong stench of sewage that was so overpowering that I felt quite sick by the morning. I saw that there were rooms advertised on Hostel Bookers and asked if we could change. The same guy from the night before informed me that there were no other rooms available (and we'd already paid $35 for the following night!) so I asked (for the third time!) if we could get the air freshener.

I requested that he came to the room to see for himself and he said that the smell of 'aguas negras' ('sewage' - in his words, not mine!) was just because of old wood. We went to the dorm and bathroom in that area of the hostel and could barely smell anything at all, which further indicates that there is a serious problem with the pipes in room number 5 that needs to be resolved.

We finally got an air freshener (after 3 requests) which hardly improved the situation at all. The staff's nonchalant attitudes only worsened the situation and went to show that they are making no attempt to resolve the issue.

Furthermore, we tried to escape the smell by sitting in the outside terrace area, only to find ourselves by a guest smoking (what smelt like marijuana) with a member of staff despite the clear no smoking sign.

In addition, we had a TV remote but no TV (despite it being advertised on the map we were given and the management's Trip Advisor photos of our exact room!) We also discovered that the two double doors in our room did not open up to a closet, but rather, the adjoining room filled with someone's belongings, which undoubtedly raises some security concerns.

Overall, I would strongly advise that the hostel considers resolving its sewage issues rather than ignoring them as it cannot be healthy sleeping in a room with such a problem. I would have changed instantly if I hadn't already paid $70 upfront and been so close to the Festival de la Luz (when it's near impossible to find taxis nearby!)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I chose this place as it got so many great reviews. I'm amazed at how this was possible!
The staff were friendly and very helpful. I needed to go to the shop late at night and they walked me there and were really nice.
However, 1) before I arrived, I rang them and ordered a taxi to pick me up from the airport but it never arrived 2) I had to ring them again while using roaming and just booked a taxi on the street instead 3) I booked a private room but the bed sheets were not changed and it was clear that someone had slept there 4) the accommodation needs decorating as its old and there was a musty/ dusty smell and 5) I think its in a bad neighbourhood.
However, having said that, I can't fault the staff, who were very friendly, nice and helped me. They just need to invest in the hostel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Nice place with decent bfst included. Good helpful staff always willing to help. Hottest shower I've had in Central America as well which was a bonus. Recommended.
Good kitchen and nice courtyard to eat in. Location not bad and close to downtown area

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
L
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hostel was the cleanest one and it seems to be really safe but there were only two or three other guests!!! Rooms are quite new and the staff is really friendly and helpful. I went there twice and I would always come back! I also recommended it to two friends and they were quite satisfied as well!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Mexico City
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We ended up in Hostel 1110 by accident after missing our bus from the Tracopa bus station. A taxi driver took us here and at the time we were just grateful to have somewhere to stay. The owner was welcoming and we got a private room. The room was fine but didn't feel 100% clean. It needed redecorating and the bathroom smelled bad. We didn't use the bathroom for that reason. The room didn't have any ventilation and the door didn't lock properly. We saw the dorms and they didn't look great either. The area at night did not feel safe and we didn't go out. The price is good but I think there are better hostels in San José. With a little renovation and care it could be a decent place. Only go here if you are desperate to be within walking distance of the bus station.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple