“Indulging, supportive, warm family”
Review of La Boruca

La Boruca
Ranked #6 of 68 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Ken and his family of staff were simply amazing. Andreas a kind young fellow picked us up from the airport and brought us to LaBoruca's beautiful lush grounds at the bed and breakfast.

This overnight stay made what could have been a depressing disappointment turned out to be a time that is forever stored in my memory. The dinner was fabulous, breakfast awsome and tiny teas moments in between were therapeutic.

Arriving in San Jose during the 'end 'of the raining season with hopes to head to our final destination @ Manual Antonio the next day was a total bust. The rains had been going on for at least 10 days before we arrived and were expected to continue for at least 3 more days.

Ken went above and beyond by keeping us informed about the weather forcast and making contact with other potential locations and options for our next day's stay that laid before us since he couldn't accomodate us another day with new guests arriving the folllowing morning.

He and his staff carefully wrapped our luggage in plastic bags, hoisted them on top of the van, secured them and transported all 12 of us to our next location for our final stay in Costa Rica.

though the plan was to stay 7 days, I never imagined 2 days of Costa Rica to be such a dream.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Reetireet

Reviewed 9 November 2010

Kenneth, Susan & team were offered for than a place to just spend the night. They were like an extended family. My group decided to stay at LaBoruca in route to Manuel Antonio. We never made it to M.A. because of Hurricane Tomas which caused mudslides and the main road to collapse. Our entire 9 day vacation was almost ruined had it not been for the folk at LaBoruca. Kenneth was such a gracious, resourceful, and accomodating host. He made sure that our group of 11 were well cared for and we will never forget him for that. We will definitely be coming back as well as recommending LaBoruca to other friends and family. And, the food and accomodations were awesome!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Staying with Ken at La Boruca was a real pleasure for my wife and I. Ken and his family are very personable and they go to great effort to make you comfortable. It is an easy drive to the airport with a big advantage of not being in the city, you are in the countryside. Ken's place is at the end of a long lane and it is very safe there. You can get a nice hot shower, a nice meal, and a cozy room, along with high speed internet if you need it. It is a perfect beginning and end to any trip to Costa Rica. We stayed there for dental tourism and it works for that too.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2010

This was the place where we started and finished our tour in Costa Rica and we couldn't have picked a better place. Kenneth and his wife Anna make you feel at home immediately and with 2 teenage daughters that is worth while. The rooms are nice, the food great and the sitting area relaxing. You can be picked up from the airport or brought to the car rental by Kenneth at a very limited rate. And due to its altitude the temperature is attractive.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I'm always a little apprehensive about staying in a new place, but La Boruca is simply incredible. The rooms are very nice, very well decorated and extremely comfortable - very relaxing environment. Kenneth and his wife went out of their way to ensure that this surprise birthday celebration was a success and I am forever in their debt. The beautiful gardens are out of this world and attract so many types of birds. I highly recommend La Boruca and plan on returning often.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We originally booked for two nights but after only being there for 20 mins we changed it to 7! It was a nice, quite and tranquil area and the room was very comfortable (comes with it's own PC should you not have your own to use the WiFi). Because of it's location (being out of the city and not much around in terms of food) they offer meals for lunch and dinner too should you decide to hang there. And boy were the meals tasty too!

The hospitality was great, we were always greeted with a friendly smile and a chat, and the evening the power went out (a transistor box near by decided to explode) they took us out to dinner with the family because they weren't able to cook our pre-arranged dinner.

I highly recommend this place and if we return to Costa Rica, we defiantly know where we will be stay ;) - and not just because of their cute cats!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I am so happy that I found this place on TripAdvisor before I booked a more traditional city-center hotel. To me, this is a much more enjoyable way to travel --staying with locals who can give me a sense of the culture and who genuinely care about making sure my vacation goes smoothly.

I arranged my trip very last-minute --the day before, in fact! Yet by the time I had arrived, Kenneth had already spoken with my tour operator, driver, and river guide. When I wanted shopping, culture, nightlife, whatever... Kenneth knew where to send me and was spot-on every time.

The rooms are in a separate building on the property of the family's home, perfect for having privacy when I wanted it, and convenient for having a home-cooked meal and travel tips when needed too. Plus, there are kittens!

I had a great time and hope to come back for a longer stay in the near future.

Pros:
*Caring, attentive, and reliable hosts who want to help you have the enjoyable visit YOU envision. True locals with extensive knowledge of the area and its people.
*Rate Includes delicious home-cooked meals customized to your dietary needs and schedule.
*Newly-built (yet not icky/modern) spacious rooms with comfortable bed and a private Internet-connected computer with pre-loaded movies in English and Spanish.
*Two very friendly and cuddly on-property kittens.
*Not located in the center of town

Cons:
*Does not accept credit cards or checks.
*Could use some more outdoor lighting for safety
*Not located in the center of town
*You will not want to leave

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank RomoRomo
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Hotel Casa 69
Hotel Casa 69
#3 of 68 in San Jose

Been to La Boruca? Share your experiences!