“Not a single good thing about this "oasis"”
Review of Restaurant & Bar El Oasis - CLOSED

Restaurant & Bar El Oasis
Cuisines: French, International
NYC
“Not a single good thing about this "oasis"”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We were staying at the Hotel Santo Tomas for one night. Since it was raining, we decided to eat at El Oasis, the restaurant connected to the hotel. This place was the furthest thing from an oasis.

First, the service was ridiculously bad. We had all the time in the world, enjoying drinks and conversation, especially since it was raining and we still noticed how long everything took. For example, we received our bread starter after our appetizer, minutes before our main course came out (approx. 1 hour after sitting down). When the bread came out, we ordered a second round of drinks and they arrived after we were finished eating. There were two tables in the entire restaurant, including us. The other table arrived just as we got our first round of drinks and waited even longer than we did. They received their food long after we finished eating.

With respect to food, each dish we ordered came with cold rice and microwaved vegetables. This is bad, but if you're hungry, you'll swallow it. I ordered the "delicious filet mignon" as labeled on the menu. What I got was rubber with canned mushroom sauce poured all over it. I couldn't eat more than one bite. I asked to pay solely for the rice and vegetables, considering that I couldn't eat any of the meat because of how chewy it was. The waiter gave me a 1000 colones (2 USD) discount for the cheaper filet mignon. Thanks for nothing. I am sure the waiter meant well but nothing went well for him or the rest of the staff here.

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited August 2012
AdvisorHST, Owner at Restaurant & Bar El Oasis, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Hi Travelandreview, This is from Thomas , the owner and I do apologize for whatever occurred that night. I have spoken to Carlos and Manuel the chef to improve these areas.

Tampa, Florida
“Service beyond expectancy”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My wife had a marisco soup elsewhere and developed an allergy. We stopped at a local pharmacy where she was given an allergy pill and was told to drink it with plenty food. That is when we decided to stop at this restaurant to buy a soup. When we told the waiter what was going on she gave my wife a glass of milk (on the house or on her) and a local tea. She kept an eye on us until my wife started to get better. Even after we insisted, she refused to charge us for the milk.

Visited June 2012
Hi Jd, glad to know that we were able to assist you with your situation. Thomas
Houston, Texas
“Absolument Costa Rica!”
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We enjoyed our carne and the hearts of palm salad was only bested by the fantastic gazpacho. Smile at the waiter and you might get an extra serving of helado on the house!

Hola to Houston, Nice you guys ate well ! I was wondering where all of the ice cream was going ! Thomas
Atlanta, GA
“A good place to try for a splash-out meal in San Jose”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Took a taxi to the famous Grano de Oro restaurant but was repelled by the pricing. Maybe the weak dollar was the real culprit with that, but $30+ mains (even if it is prix net) were a bit rich for me. The Oasis in the Santo Tomas was my second choice, and it turned out to be a good one.

The place doesn't have much curb appeal from the street; like others, it's "fortressed" and you have to be buzzed in. There is a separate entrance for the restaurant to avenida 7, but I went in through the hotel.

The place is smallish and looks like a poolside restaurant, but the menu is suitably ambitious. I ordered the vichyssoie and they actually nailed it: cold cream with subtle potato/leek taste and no conflicting tastes. It's a delicate item and hard to get right, but they were off to a great start.

Would give the tenderloin in Spaish sauce (the main) about a 4 out of 5. The sauce was great (tomato/onion/brandy/white wine). The meat was good but not quite cut-it-with-a-fork great. For desset I got the Kahlua parfait, which was also excellent but not quite a signature dessert. Washed down with 2 Imperials the total damage came to 17 mil colones, or $34-35.

1 Thank ploughman8
Hi Ploughman, Sounds like you got a nice three course meal for the price of the main dish else where. Not too bad, thanks so much for the great review and hope you will return to stay with us next time. Thomas
New York City, New York
“This really was an oasis when we fell off a plane that arrived two hours late”
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We chose El Oásis for dinner because we were staying at the Hotel Santo Tomás, which houses it. At around 9:30 on a Saturday eveing it was deserted so no points for ambiente. The service was a little slow but the food - and among the five of us we ordered fish, meat, pasta and salad dishes, so tried a good cross-section of the menu - was fresh and tasty and appealingly prepared and presented. Certainly worth a visit if you're looking for a good, reasonably priced meal in downtown San José.

There are also a few tables outside where, unfortunately, they allow diners to smoke.

Hi Jona, glad to know that sometimes a travel interruption can turn into something pleasant ! Yes, we have a pretty good cross section on the menu of dishes and wonderful to know that you enjoyed them all. I try to keep the prices reasonable along with good healthy prepared food and nice portions. I have eliminated the smoking by the pool and have a special section just for the away from the dining pool area. Thank You for that comments. Thomas