“The Best Restaurant in Costa Rica. Period.”

Mantras Veggie Cafe and Tea House
Ranked #2 of 12 Coffee & Tea in San Jose
Price range: US$8 - US$10
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Beauty and health come from within, at MANTRAS, we are making this a possibility. We have RAW, ORGANIC, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN, DAIRY & SUGAR FREE options that are DELICIOUS on your soul!! The active enzymes that our food provides your body will allow it to always be at its prime level of energy, health and beauty. We support serving organically local fruits and vegetables using natural ingredients specializing in a diverse menu. We do natural cold press juicing, smoothies, kombucha and fermented foods. . We work with small producers and venders supporting our local economy. We have outdoor and indoor seating, take large groups with or without reservation.
Escazú, San Jose, Costa Rica
“The Best Restaurant in Costa Rica. Period.”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I've lived in Costa Rica for a while now and I can easily tell you that Mantras is the best food there is to be found. The crazy thing is it's Vegetarian, but you wouldn't know it, the food is just so good you don't even notice that it's Vegetarian.

I read the review a few spots below and couldn't disagree more, the service was amazing (I mean the place gets busy as heck during peak hours, but the staff is still super good, never forget anything and the kitchen turns out meals so quickly for such great quality). I love the look of it too, the garden is gorgeous with the new bamboo. Honestly, everything is just of the highest quality, but the prices are great too.

The smoothies are the BOMB, definitely recommend them and the daily specials are so danged original, I had wraps and man was it ever good. It's strange that I can eat something so healthy and yet feel so full. The owners are great, the service is great, the atmosphere is fun, the prices are so reasonable and the food is unique and delicious. Honestly, what more could you ask for? Mantras, in my opinion, is the best restaurant in Costa Rica and I would recommend it to everyone living here or visiting here.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Michael D

New York City, New York
“Best vegan/organic//raw food ever”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

If you end up traveling to Costa Rica one good thing that will come out of it is your experience here. I feel like I traveled 5000 miles to have the best vegan/raw/ organic food I have ever had.
The menu isn't huge but it doesn't have to be when the food is this good. The owner is very friendly and the restaurant has great ambiance. The staff are all friendly, food came out muy rapido and the portions were very generous. I ate every single bit of my salad, and had my friend finish my wrap because it was too much for me. I ordered the hummus wrap and he had the raw zucchini noodles with pesto. We shared a vegan raw pie, it was AMAZING!! Will go back again before we have to leave. Also it's located in this trendy hipster area of Costa Rica, best experience yet in Costa Rica!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ljdbianca
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Making healthy food taste good”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

So we ran into this vegetarian place which I had heard great reviews. We decided to go give it a try and to our surprise it tasted amazing! They have to update their location though, it is no longer located 200 mts North from the Centro Cultural, lucky we called to verify, it is now located from the rotonda el Farolito, 200mts East and 25 mts South. The food has the excellent balance between healthy and tasteful. They actually make you want and enjoy eating salad and brown rice. The dessert was amazing, raw berry pie. The place is ok, with a small backyard with a garden. Great options for lactose intolerant people, having the option of almond milk for the smoothies.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank vmeyi
San Jose, Costa Rica
“My favorite veggie restaurant”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I have been here many times, they offer a variety menu, and the people are kind. I love the Tofu with peanut sauce; the hamburger is pretty good too. Also try the Wang Tan and the lentils soup. The deserts are delicious, but kind of expensive. In the main plate of the day they always offer more than 2 options, you will not need any meat or chicken, because is delicious without that and you feel much better when you start to eat in this way. I can say this is one of my favorite places to visit in lunch time.

• Visited June 2013
“Deliciously freshly!”
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

Veggie food with a touch of Costa Rica! Nice place, excellent menu, organic and gluten free options, well priced for the high quality and delicious dishes. Try the daily dish and you would not regret it, its always a different nice surprise!!

• Visited January 2013