“Everything is really nice and convenient about this place....except they do not change the sheets between guests!”
Review of Aldea San Jose

Aldea San Jose
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I am reluctant to write this review, since everything about this place seems great. I've stayed here on two separate occasions, but I will probably not return. The lounge area is really nice and there is even a kitchen available. The owner is nice and helpful (although a bit spacey). As another reviewer commented, "All of the staff were nice but most were 'relaxed' to the point of being apathetic and unhelpful". It is not the quietest place to get a good night sleep, but that is a consequence of any hostel. Otherwise, it is a great place to meet people from all over.

I really like this place, but I discovered on my second stay at the hostal, on the day that I left that they do not change the sheets between guests. I had gone back into my room after checking out to use the restroom, and I saw that the cleaning lady was remaking the beds with the same already used sheets for all the bed even though everyone had checked out.

While the hostal looks lovely and clean, and is a great value, I can't recommend it as the best place to stay. Maybe some are fine with this indiscretion, but be warned. Perhaps, the private rooms get a better cleaning!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank feliz05

Reviewed 16 April 2011

Just the facts about my private room:

Pros: decent location to things in the city; friendly front desk girl, relatively clean, relatively quite, ok price.

Cons: cold - seems like it used to be victorian and has not made a good transition to shabby-chic modern, no hot water, no soap, no towels, ceiling fan that couldn't operate without the lights on at the same time.

I guess I was expecting a private room in a hostel to be a little more comfortable and really I felt like it was just shy of being a room you would find in the Adams Family home.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank aliveincr
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I stayed 2 nights enroute to Guanacaste - the hostel had been recommended to me by a solo female travel forum member for safety, good location and helpful staff.

I had quite a bit of correspondence with Emir (owner) prior to my arrival and he was very helpful with information.

I stayed in a private room and found the accommodation to be clean, basic and very comfortable... but I have to concur with other reviewers about the street noise. I was in room 203 right at the front of the second floor. The hostel is on the interesection of 2 busy streets - I was glad I had earplugs with me! :)

I had arranged a consultation with a cosmetic surgery clinic that turned out to be on the opposite corner from Aldea Hostel, while convenient I wouldn't stay there if I was recovering from a surgery because of the street noise. Apparently there are only 2 private rooms and neither are at the back of the building

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank YYCLady
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Me gusta mucha. Despues 4 X...Amir is a great host and Aldea has a nice style, cool staff, and interesting friendly clientele. I have brought several friends and one sister to stay there and all enjoyed it. Be prepared for street noise however in any rooms thTat border the outdoors.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank conductor7
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Some of the best hostels I've found in my trip were not on the lonely planet or other guides. This is one of them. A lot of space, great hall-relaxing area, nice kitchen, comfortable rooms, all of it with a nice personnality. And great staff. I definately recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I have never written a review before but I was so surprised by this hostel that I decided to write one. I did not like this hostel at all and yet it has such good reviews...? All of the staff were nice but most were 'relaxed' to the point of being apathetic and unhelpful. The bathroom was not clean plus they openly admitted to not always changing sheets between guests which I think is inexcusable. The place, though nicely decorated, has a very cold feeling. Not a hang out, homely feel that most good hostels manage to achieve. I would not recommend this place to friends.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank KVMJ
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Upon my arrival at San Jose airport, I took a red cab and ask him to take me and my fiancee to a hostel were we have a booking for that night, but the guy told us that the place was closed and a said a lot of bad stuff about the place in the end we asked him to take us to a nice place, he took us to Aldea..... this place is not nice at all, no hot water, only one computer for the guests, no smoking areas, the people on the front desk were rude and I think two of them were high and tried to rob something from us. The next day we left to Jaco and when we came back we find out that the place we booked at the first is open and way better than this place, and they give money to the taxi drivers to tell lies to the people....
For short: Aldea is a place where you are going to get robbed, REAAALLY bad rooms, an AWFUL service, STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!!
PS: and I heard that the other reviews were written by the owner of the hostel...... thats lame....

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple