“Great old building”

Aldea San Jose
San Isidro
“Great old building”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I stayed here as it was close to the Coca Cola bus station and I had an early bus. This is a great old eclectic building with 15' ceilings and a great lobby. The price is right. I shared a room with other travelers. Due to being close to the main road, it was a little loud, but very tolerable. I recommend.

Room Tip: Breakfast was included in with the room fee, which is a great deal
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LocoLeo
Emirhan, Receptionist at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Glad that our position was convenient for you with regards to Coca Cola bus station. Early mornings can be killer, so it is nice to be closer. For future reference, we are also located a short walk from Ticabus and Transnica. Hope to see you back at Aldea soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I had to stay a few more days in San Jose for a passport lost, and this hostel was a very good choice. First i booked for a single room, with private bathroom, very clean, with TV cable, but the next time i had to use the shared dorms. It was really cheaper and i had no problem, the other people i shared the room were very nice and always worried for not disturbing. Now they have 3 PCs with internet, but only 2 are OK, as well as WiFi for free, with good signal. They worry a lot for the cleanliness of the dorms, also hot water available. They borrowed me the phone many times for local calls, free. The staff were very helpful and friendly, there was a good vibe in the hostel. Now the low points: The breakfast was always the same, it would be helpful change sometimes. The staff also should put more attention on noisy people, especially when it`s late. It`s very close to the main bus stations, in a safe place. Highly recommended in San Jose.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Emirhan, Receptionist at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you very much for your comments! Glad that we were helpful in your time of crisis. It is understandably a stressful time when travel documents or possessions go missing and we are always here to help with such matters at Aldea.

That is a good suggestion about the breakfast. Variety is the spice of life after all. We will see what we can do with regards to this.

Sorry if some of our other guests where noisy while you were here. We will endeavor to be more vigilant about noise in the evenings.

Pura Vida
Mateo
San Francisco
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Reading the 5 star reviews makes me feel like I stayed at a different hostel than everyone else. I will definitely say that the place has fun decor and an artistic vibe. The guy at the front desk was also pretty nice and helpful. Other then that, I really will not stay at this place again (as a matter of fact I didn't when I came back to San Jose several weeks later.) I stayed in a dorm room which had 4 bunk beds. It was an OK size, but definitely not clean, and poorly lit. There was an in-suite bathroom, which was absolutely terrible. Dirty, and extremely old. The toilet barely flushed, and the shower cabin was so dark and gross I was afraid to get in. Luckily for me, it turned out there was no water (hot or cold) at all, which saved me from having to get in there. To be fair, I think their private rooms are much better, I asked to see one and was almost tempted to upgrade except it was too expensive. They have continental breakfast in the mornings, but the coffee was like coffee flavored water. My friend actually mistook it for tea because it was such a light color. Anyway, when I came back to SJ a few weeks later, I stayed at the Costa Rica Backpackers which is located in a safer neighborhood, and has a great pool and lounge area. Its more modern, spacious, and super clean. Next time I'm in SJ, that's where I'll be going.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Masha T
Emirhan, Receptionist at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Masha T, Firstly I just wanted to thank you for taking out the time to provide us with your feedback. It is always helpful and informative for the betterment of our Hostel to receive any comments from our guests.

We are extremely sorry that you had a less than enjoyable stay with us, and that you feel that you would not want to return to Aldea in the future. I sincerely apologise for all of the downfalls that you saw with our hotel. Our building is beautiful but old, and we are still a young hostel- and we know we have much to learn and that there is always room for improvement.

We had been experiencing some issues with the water in the bathroom in dorm 201(toilet flushing and temperature), which have since been rectified. And some of the issues with lightening that you mentioned we are in the process of changing.

Lastly, Thank you very much for your positive comments about our decor. We really do try and create an artistic yet refined ambience that is unique amongst hostels in San Jose.

Thanks Again
Mateo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Very chill vibes here. Good music , sweet art , cozy beds , warm smiles and extremely affordable . Highly reccommend it :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Aldea_Hostel_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this review, 1 January 2015
Hi Chel!

We are so grateful for your wonderful feedback! It's satisfying to hear that you enjoyed the great vibes and atmosphere at Aldea! It makes us really happy to know that you had a pleasant time at our hostel and we look forward to having you again soon!
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I had to come back from the beach to spend one night in San Jose for a quick business. A friend recommended Aldea's single room on the second floor. It is an incredible high ceiling house converted to a hostel in the very center of the city. My room was very clean and big.
Staff is very friendly and quick taking care of our wishes. Also a great value.
The only small issue might be that sometimes a little noise can be heard from people talking in front of your door.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Hola!

We are glad to know once again that you were pleased with your stay at Aldea! We apologize for the noise, sometimes we have large groups of guests who take some time to settle in.For future reference, kindly inform the front desk reception of any noise disturbances.

We look forward to having you with us again and to show our appreciation

Pura Vida!
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I was in ashort time 4 times here and always were the dorms very clean good matrasses
the persons who help you are friendly and give you advice and with the other guests it look like a fimily there is free internet breakfast with plenty of koffie and
one time they invite me to join the barbecue thank you ]also it is very near the centrum and the busstation to the airport

Room Tip: the rooms are ol very good
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I stayed in Aldea the first two nights I had arrived in Costa Rica prior to really taking off to venture the country... San Jose was not my favorite -- to say the least. Aldea, however proved to be a nice escape from the rest of the city.

The dorms & common area were clean... the small breakfast was nice... and the people working there were very friendly. They were very helpful in directing us in getting to our next destination and made our stay very welcoming!

The only complaint I would have is that the hot water didn't work -- which kind of sucks & the shower in our dorm leaked constantly... which was also loud and rather annoying after a short while. The hostel is also in the middle of the city which makes it hard to sleep past an early time if noise bothers you... since there are cars and all sorts of life going on right outside the dorm window.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Hola Regina,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment about your experience at Aldea.We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the level of service and the atmosphere at our hostel.

We apologize that hot water wasn't available at all times of your stay with us. Our plumbing system and hot water system has been upgraded and now provides a consistent flow of water.

Because we are located in the heart of San Jose, people and car traffic can sometimes be noisy. If noise becomes too much of an issue, feel free to ask to be moved to a more suitable room. We apologize if noise affected the quality of your stay.

Once again Regina, thank you so much for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!