“Surprise that a taxi driver knew it”
Review of Aldea San Jose

Aldea San Jose
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Literally just off a bus, leaving my travel partner thus going solo, the annoying taxi man bugging me to take me somewhere had this hostel in mind.....I have no idea why! it proved to be a road angel situated just a few blocks from a office building that housed a Delta airline office, my aim for the afternoon. It was my FIRST time solo at a hostel,but I was up for the challenge. When told the hefty price for a private, I decided to go for the dorm room. $15 was alot better sounding than the $40 or whatever it was. Besides, they gave me a sheet, blanket and pillow. A towel I had with me.
A real plus was having 3 computers for us to use. I had gone days without email contact, so that was very helpful. I was given easy directions to Delta, and later to a grocery store so I could eat. the room had many bunk beds and the huge window has NO curtains. The shared bathroom had no soap, no paper, but a decent shower that had warm water in the evening. There was a TV in the lobby where I could watch the tennis match. The room was shared with a pool table many of the guys liked to use. There was a shared kitchen area, decent enough, with a frig we could leave food in. The included breakfast, which I was not told about, but luckily noticed the next morning, was coffee, banana and cookie! Coffee was the main focus, and hit the spot. That first night I didn't have to share the room....but the next night it was full and the gals coming in at 2am were not respectful, my sleep was nil. And the early riser didn't leave the toilet so I had to get up and make my way to the downstairs in hopes of finding a toilet. I will say the guys working the desk were helpful, but sleep is an issue!

Room Tip: I suppose a room on the lower level, away from roads would be less noisy.....while I was there they...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
AldeaStaff, General Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

We are glad that you found your way to Aldea too, and that our location proved to be incredibly convenient for servicing your to do list while in San Jose. Our position right on Paseo Colon, the main street, ensures that you are in the centre of everything during your stay.

Hope that you enjoyed all the amenities we had to offer at Aldea, and am really happy to hear that you found the staff to be helpful. Good point about the soap though, we will keep a more watchful eye that the bathrooms have this.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

It was a flying visit as we were changing buses at the Tica bus station on our way to Nicaragua. We stayed over night and the facilities seemes excellent, even though we didn't get a chance to use them all. The beds were comfortable, the building was beautiful, everything seemed clean and the staff were helpful. It is just around the corner from the Tica bus station and had its own pizza restaurant. I would have stayed here longer if I had wanted to stay in San Jose.
The only negative was the broken, open window in our room that looked directly into the shower from the street.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
AldeaStaff, Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Thank you for taking out the time to leave us your feedback. Really glad to hear you slept comfortably here at Aldea. We have invested the money to put high quality, thick mattresses in all of our dorm beds and private rooms. Little details like this are important, and when you are travelling there is nothing more appreciated than a good night’s sleep.

Sorry about the window in the shower. We have gone ahead and fixed that now.

We are always a good spot for Tica Bus, as it is literally just 3 blocks down the road from us. For future reference we also have Trans Nica, Panama Expreso, and most of the other important bus stops very close by including those in the Cola and San Carlos bus stops.

Hope to see you back at Aldea soon!

Reviewed 12 January 2013

This hostel was OK, but wasn't as safe as the other hostels we stayed in on the trip in terms of security of the doors. The room we stayed in did not have a secure door, which was a bit scary.
The Australian guy at reception was helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blaizerwardle
AldeaStaff, Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Sorry to hear that you doubted the sense of security here. However, there is always someone in reception 24 hours to ensure that no one enters without being let in. Not quite sure of the specifics on this occasion but we always endevor to replace damages by sustained by guests. Sorry we were not able to fix the issue during your stay.

Very glad to to hear you found our receptionist more than helpful!

Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

The included "breakfast" consisted of coffee and cheap cookies... It was really cold and noisy at night and in the morning, and we only got some thin bedcovers, had to use my sleeping bag.
They only take cash, something which is strange when they charge 45$ for a double.
They also charge a hefty commission to order you a cab, something that is NOT in the spirit of a youth hostel.
Unhelpful staff.
And they demand a copy of your passport, I don't like that, it's like copying your credit card. Why don't just take the passport # like EVERYWHERE else.
Go elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Martin S
AldeaStaff, General Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

We are terribly sorry to read that you were disappointed with your time here at Aldea, but thank you for leaving us your comment. Any feedback is better than nothing as it helps inform us about what improvements we need to make your stay more enjoyable. We are only a relatively new hostel, so payment options is something that we will be looking at expanding on with the future of the business. Enjoy the rest of your travels and hopefully in the future we might get the opportunity to change your mind about our hostel as we grow and improve.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We traveled with a large group utilizing two rooms with bunk beds in each. The location is decent, cost excellent. We had a few reservations... It is not the safest (windows broken, lockers that were not completely bolted to the wall with back open, suicide shower, limited warm water). It is however an affordable option. Do not expect high dollar accomodations.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BuckeyeAgTravel
AldeaStaff, Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Thanks for taking out the time to leave us a comment- always appreciated. Happy to hear that you found our accommodations very affordable, and when you consider the location it is even better value. Sorry if it seemed like some of the dormitories have suffered a little bit of wear and tear. Unfortunately, some guests simply are not respectful of property and damage things. However, we always endeavour to repair damages as quick as we. As for the suicide showers, they are regular fixture in alot of properties here in San Jose. We are also one of the few hostels here that offer hot water, which people are very thankful for after going without whilst travelling.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

I spent a week at Aldea while in San Jose for work. For my entire stay the staff was awesome; helpful, friendly and just all around great people.

One night I had a private room with bath, the rest of the time I spent in a 6 person dorm. Both rooms were clean with everything in good condition.

They were out of towels though...

I was incredibly comfortable and highly recommend Aldea! The internet was fast (important for work travel!) and it was also a great place to just hang and enjoy dinner or a game of pool.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
AldeaStaff, Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Always such a pleasure to read about satisfied guests! And we are all really proud of your very kind words about our staff and cleanliness here at Aldea.

Sorry about the towel issue. Sometimes with shortages in what we get back from the laundry it can be hard to keep up with the demand. Thank you for being understanding about this.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Came for one night and stayed for weeks. Taxi driver recommended the hostel and I am grateful for that. Aldea turned out to be a great. Clean, perfect location and very cool and helpful staff.
Aldea also has an excellent pool table in the lobby and the house is beauitiful.
SJ is a very fun city. I like people watching and mixing with the locals so San Jose was amazing, Aldea was a great base for me. One of the best hostels I've stayed at.
Anything can happen in SJ!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Henrik P
AldeaStaff, Manager at Aldea San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Thank you so much for your incredible recommendation! Staff and Cleanliness are our top priorities, and we are always pleased that people notice our attention to these details at Aldea. As for the location, that speaks for itself. We recommend you all come here to check it out for yourselves.

We remember your time here well, and are also very glad that the taxi driver bought you our way- this guest quickly became a member of the Aldea family.